jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

email notification of repllies to forum posts

1. Rafini profile image88
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

When I checked my email this morning, I had 5 emails from HubPages telling me someone had replied to my forum posts - including myself in 2 (at least some]/i] of the emails contained multiple post notifications).

I can handle not being notified of this new feature, but I'd seriously like to know why it began on a Saturday when there isn't even an option (in Edit My Profile) to turn it off.  I don't want email notification of when somebody replies to my forum posts - It's too much!  Please, please, [i]please
    make this new feature optional.

Thank you.

(ahem - I see the option below this post, so why did I have notifications this morning when I hadn't checked the box for prior posts?)

1. profile image0
      Toby Hansenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am with you Rafini.

A little warning that this feature was coming would have been nice.

I have not been online for a couple of days, and have just checked my email. There was no box to tick in my last forum post, yet I have email response notification,

Not happy, HP!

2. EmpressFelicity profile image78
    EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago

Luckily it's easy to opt out of this one, but I personally would have preferred some sort of official announcement and the choice to opt in

Being signed up for things I didn't ask for (however trivial) is definitely one of the things in life that sets my teeth on edge.  It's why I've switched off most of the autocorrect features in MS Word, for example.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Agree.  Didn't like it.  Too much mail.  Opt in is preferable to me.

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.  We'll make sure the notifications are functioning right.

Rafiniposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul!

1. Ari Lamstein profile image79
        Ari Lamsteinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rafini,

I can give you an update on this problem. 

Yesterday we rolled out a new feature where users can opt-in to get an email notification if someone replies to their post.  There is a new checkbox above the "submit" button on the forum post UI, and it is completely opt-in.  It is designed to give you maximum flexibility about the notifications.  If you make a dozen posts in a day, you can choose to get an email notification some, none or all of them.  In fact, the emails that you get will also let you opt-out of future email notifications for that post.  We also take steps to prevent flooding you with emails if there is a sudden flury of activity in a forum.

Now, for the problem: When we released the feature there was a bug, and some users were mistakenly automatically signed up for notifications.  This was a mistake, and it was not our intention.  We believe that we have identified the problem and hope to have it fixed soon.

Ari

Thanks Ari, appreciate it!  I was just quite surprised this morning & doubly so when it seemed I didn't have a choice.  Glad to know there's also an opt-out feature in the email - I may have to try it, now.

4. Aficionada profile image89
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Sorry, ari, but what does "UI" mean?

"User Interface"

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4283205_f248.jpg

Update: We believe that we have now fixed this problem.

Thank You!

2. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Didn't see this new feature in chronological view.

It looks like this is a bug.  We will address it shortly.

5. Aficionada profile image89
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Thanks!

I saw the checkbox when I opened a new forum thread yesterday, but I haven't seen it otherwise.  I'll keep my eyes peeled.

working