jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

E = mc2 Whats the magic in it?

1. profile image60
    BestConcernsposted 6 years ago

Albert Einstein proved that energy can be converted into mass and a mass can be converted completely into energy.

In our daily life what is the significance of the idea...if man learns the ability to do so?

1. Ben Evans profile image73
      Ben Evansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

E=MC^2 is famous equation associated with "Einstein's Theory of Relativity".

The main significance is maybe the mass energy relationship or it could be the amount of energy it represents:

1 kg mass if fully converted to energy would represent:

E=1kg(3x10^8)^2=9x10^16 joules.  That is a lot of energy.

There are practical limitations currently as to how much mass we can convert to energy.

With everything said, E=MC^2 is just a small part of relativity.  The wonderment and idea of the amount of energy that is contained in a small mass is amazing.  That is most likely what causes most of the awe.

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The "magic" is that NOW, one species of life can (and most likely will) regress all that billions of years of evolution has produced, back to the stone age or beyond.
      Qwark...the pessimist posts! neutral

2. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago

we can turn gas in to energy and drive cars?

1. profile image60
      BestConcernsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

well its something more than that....like disappearing and sublime in air and reappear...like travelling in the universe from stars to stars without oxygen.....like building high energy fuels from any ordinary matter.....something like that.

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

well...I was going to say I could turn my sister in law in to enough energy to wax my kitchen floor. But I like your ideas better.

1. Joy56 profile image61
          Joy56posted 6 years ago in reply to this

big_smile

3. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 6 years ago

There is no magic in the equation. The equation simply states that a little bit of matter of anything can be converted into an astronomical amount of energy. The equation explains why our nearest star, the sun, and all the other stars in the universe are able to produce so much energy from the limited amount of matter that they are made of. The sun is what gave Einstein the idea that lead him to formulate this equation.

1. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The equation also explains why so much energy is released after an atomic or hydrogen bomb explosion. This equation led to the development of the atomic bomb. There is no magic here. It is just a simple mathematical relationship between energy, light and the mass of matter. In essence, an atomic bomb or hydrogen bomb explosion is actually the same nuclear reaction taking place in the sun except that the reaction only last a few seconds since only a small amount of mass of matter (Uranium 235) was used.

1. Joy56 profile image61
        Joy56posted 6 years ago in reply to this

so much going on, we really have no control over, or know little about.....

4. profile image66
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

Have you heard that some scientists think they may have found other universes than our own?

5. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

"E = mc2 Whats the magic in it?"

The magic is what “E=mc2” can be reconfigured as, i.e.:

M=E/c2

This proves the last step of string theory; which is that mass is a form of energy.

working