Courtesy reply to hub comments

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (70 posts)
  1. imatellmuva profile image76
    imatellmuvaposted 13 years ago

Is it only me, or are there others who think that it should be a common courtesy to reply to comments made to a hub. I always reply to comments made by my followers and others, and people who I follow do the same. I have noticed however, that some hubbers have comments left on their page, and they don't acknowledge the comment with a reply. I think a reply not only shows sincere interest in the comment, but further shows appreciation to the perosn who left the comment.

What are your thoughts? Is this too much...over-bearing even?

1. profile image0
      Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would actually rather see people discuss my topics among themselves, although if something I wrote seems to be misunderstood by someone, I'll clarify it, although that's only happened one time.

imatellmuvaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that you simply read the comments, and have only replied once to clear a misunderstanding?
        ...humph. I guess what works is what works. There is no wrong or right, just differences of opinion.

You are all talented and successful writers. That's why you guys are 90's and 100's, AND your followers adore you anyway! smile

1. profile image0
          Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah, I've replied more than once actually...I do talk occasionally...LOL. I guess I just enjoy the commenting more when other people are talking...LOL. Maybe I just run out of words after writing the hubs...LOL wink j/k

Donna, I met some pretty cool people during this forum! That is the TRUTH RUTH!!!

I 'm not a chatty cathy....yes I am! lol

2. Sunnyglitter profile image83
      Sunnyglitterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I try to reply to all of my comments, but sometimes, I simply don't have time.

This has been the popular comment from most hubbers.It seems that time infringes on the ability to regularly and actively communicate with your audience. Oh well...all is still fair in Love and Hubs! lol

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Depends. I get ten or more comments a day and some of my hubs have fifty or more comments. If it's just a generic 'Thanks for this hub, it helped' I usually don't reply.

3. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

I agree with WryLit.  Sometimes, (I'm sorry to say), it truly depends on if I have the time.  For example, one day might go by where I only receive two comments, so will I reply - Sure.  However, if I just worked ten hours, and I come home to ten new comments, I just don't have the time to reply to all.  Also, some comments are more personal and even ask for a response, while others I've received are as simple as "Nice hub."

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I take Kirsten and Wrylilt's policy even farther.

Starting recently, if a comment is just a generic "Great hub!" sort of thing, I delete it.

No offense meant to the people who leave such things - I'm sure some of of them genuinely mean it and are just being friendly and polite. However, enough others are just looking to attract attention to themselves and are too lazy to think of anything useful to say.

So, my new rule is that a comment needs to ask an appropriate question, or be critical, useful or at least entertaining. If it is just an empty, fawning, "Nice hub" equivalent, I am deleting it - no bad feelings, but it's going.

The ones that survive will almost always get a reply.

I used to work for a bank, and my clients each,  and of course, had different balances in their accounts. Each balance maintained was a significant amount to that client.

One day a client, suggested that he should receive preferential treatment because of his balance. I told him that everyone's balance was significant, I can't justify treating the client who has $500.00 dollars differently than the client with $50,000.00. That's like saying that because you have less, you're not as important.

I think of the same when it relates to comments. Everyone is as important as the next and so on. For me, a simple "Nice Hub" would get a simple "Thank You".

Pcunix, I know you're a busy dude, you're like a Hub Guru! People gravitate towards you, not only for your keen abilities, but you have a great sense of humor! smile

This forum post has transcended into something far greater than I imagined, but still I am grateful to have communicated with so many people.

4. imatellmuva profile image76

So, one general reply "Thanks to everyone for your comments and interest..." wouldn't suffice, or responding to say (5) comments a day?

Perhaps I'm old school. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not being argumentative, but I think any comment, no matter the number or type of comment is worthy of a reply.

WryLit and KristenGrace, thank you kindly for your input. I was curious and your responses have helped to satisfy my curiosity.

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand your position.  And yes, I have done that general reply to a group before.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

Yeah, that's cool KristenGrace!! One general reply still makes everyone feel welcomed. smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So if one has hundreds of articles with many comments each day, a hubber should reply to all of them?  Get real!

That's right Randy Godwin, it's no different than customer service. The people who comment are your clients and you are the propreitor.

I'm not suggesting that anyone does this, I do however think that's it's a reasonable idea. While the responses, and especially yours suggest that it's not practical, it is possible.

The time you took to respond to my post, could have been time to submit one general thank you to your audience....boohyaaah!

I am a proponent for communication, good bad or indifferent!

I thank you Randy Godwin for your reply. smile

5. evvy_09 profile image59
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

I'm not sure if I'd feel the same way when I do have a few dozen hubs with multiple comments a day. But I always thank them for leaving a comment.  And I usually check back on comments I leave on other hubbers.  If they do reply to comments (doesn't have to be mine) I'm more likely to comment on more of their hubs.
    I just said comments alot in this post. big_smile

evvy_09 that's okay...about saying comment alot, that's what this post is about! I've been outnumbered here, but that's okay, I was simply sharing my opinion. I follow a couple of veteran hubbers, who somehow find the time...no make the time to comment to everyone. I am so marveled by that, and appreciate them even more for just saying a few kind words.

I've worked in business management nearly my entire life, and so in my mind it's just what you do, even on a personal level.

Thanks for your reply....by the way, love your profile picture!!! smile

6. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

When you have a large number of hubs with plenty of comments getting posted everyday, replying to them will become a full day job!. You won't have time for anything else. smile

Best Regards

7. imatellmuva profile image76

It seems I'm the alone on this one. Perhaps I shouldn't relate it to being customer oriented.

1. Brooke Lorren profile image61
      Brooke Lorrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It really depends on how you use Hubpages, but in general, I don't think that the people leaving you comments are your customers.  They're more like your coworkers.  People on Hubpages aren't going to be the people that buy stuff from you.  That's going to come from the people who find your page via Google search.

I don't really think that every comment needs a reply.  Unless I ask a question, I don't really expect a reply.  I'll reply when it makes sense to, but I generally don't think a reply like "thanks for leaving a comment" is very productive.  I'm more likely to go visit one of their pages and leave a comment over there.

I don't get it....I worked with people who treated their clients like cream and their co-workers like crap. My employees were (yes were...disabled mother...long story) always expected to manage themselves in their positions like they were the client. This brought greater value, and an even better interaction with others, for they worked with a reminder that when they leave their jobs, they are now somebody's client, whether it's the gas station, the dollar or liquor store...well, maybe not the liquor store.

By no means am I suggesting that not replying to a comment is treating someone crappy, oh no...unh...unh. Please don't misunderstand I just think, and, using your analogy of client vs. co-worker, that the source is irrelevant.

This subject is obviously a matter of preference, and that's quite alright. I've ignited a firestorm of a topic....I'm about to dial 9-1-1!! lol

1. Brooke Lorren profile image61
          Brooke Lorrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps it's just a matter of people's personality types.

I'm generally not a chatty person.  If I have something of substance to say, I'll say it; otherwise I'm more of a quiet person.

I agree that you don't treat your co-workers like crap.  In addition to not being nice, it doesn't make good business sense either.

Probably the people that like to leave comments responding to everything are more talkative in real life too.  That's just a hunch.  I could be wrong.

You're not wrong! I think if my dog could talk, he'd tell me to "Shut-Up!" lol

8. xixi12 profile image69
    xixi12posted 13 years ago

its nice to reply to comments, but when you have a lot of hubs (say about 200 hubs), it becomes pretty difficult to keep up. I guess at the initial stage it will be good and then over time your followers know you will always respond and would understand if you dont that you are burdened with work. Welcome to hubpages, I see you are new.

Yeah...I'm new xixi12! BUT in my personal life I interact and interface with many many people...nuth'n sleazy though!

It just seemed like a good idea....gone down the tubes! I follow some people who have hundreds of hubs, followers and comments, who reply to everyone. Sure, they can't reply to them all in a day, or two...three, but they do, somehow...some way. Quite honestly I've seen this same pattern with people who only have a few hubs...not call'n anyone out.

It seems that I generated quite a conversation...I won't do this again!

Thanks for welcoming me xixi12...that was very nice of you! smile

9. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Well, I know there are many Hubbers who receive so many comments, it would be impossible to reply to all of them. Maddie Ruud of HubPages Staff said on one Forum Thread that just approving comments on her Hubs was a big job, let alone replying to them.
    I've seen a lot of Celebrity Fan Sites where there is a place for fans to place comments, and they're always replied to, but I'm more than certain the celebrity her/himself does not answer personally, even if it would appear so. The Jackie Collins Fan Site is a good example, but most Hubbers don't have the same resources as Jackie Collins does. Anyway, this tells me that replying is probably good practice.
    Then again, Hubs are quite different to a Fan Site ...
    So far, I've been able to reply to all comments and have enjoyed doing so, but there could come a time when I can't. Maybe I'd put a notice above the comments box to thank readers and let them know I won't be replying, which I think is better than replying to some but not others. Or, I'd take away the comment's box altogether; end of problem.

I hope you will reply to my comments Camlo...I love hearing from you!

A reply to a comment makes you feel connected somehow. Today I updated my hub on Creating a HubPage, and I marveled at how I've met people from Canada to Germany (You're Germany).

A reply, and obviously I stand alone (no woman is an island...teehee) is a way of keeping an open dialogue and showing appreciation for those who not only took time to read your hub, but to leave a comment as well.

I am most certainly not trying to change anyone's mind or start a campaign even, I simply think it's a great gesture, one that perhaps may be a little undervalued. When I joined HubPages, you were one of the first people to reach out to me. I can't fully express how much that meant and still means!

2. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is actually a great idea, you could say that you will try to answer new questions when possible but cannot give a personal reply to every comment, but you will be reading them. I can see that working quite well actually. I have a hub that gets comments from time to time from someone with the same injury as I suffered last year, often they respond to something said in the comments not the hub itself! The relevant back and forth that happens seems to really do a lot for that hub so I do try to respond to every  comment there (they tend to be from people with the same injury as I had). On other hubs that have less chance for good back and forth I may try this on. I do find that by responding to questions or fun comments seems to encourage more comments (a good thing that).

That's right kirstenblog, it is encouraging and then some. The comment field is a non-verbal prompt to initiate a course of action. That action is a comment, and when it's left dangling like a participle, then the only course of action to correct is a reply.

I went to a store one day, and the clerk who waited on me uttered, not one word. Before I left his register, I said "Thank You!", and he said "You're Welcome!". I then said, "I'm sorry, Thank You is what you should have said to me!"  smile

10. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

I reply steadily. I reply a lots of comments at a time but I surely do.

saleheensblog is da' house!!!! Now that's what I'm talking about!

One of my motto's is "Ain't Nuth'n To It But To Do It!"

smile cool big_smile tongue

1. saleheensblog profile image61
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yah, to reply is a courtesy. If you have tons of comments you can just make a reply after every 10 comments mentioning everyone's name.

A comment not only appropriate you but also it add SEO value to your hubs. So, a reply is not only to recognize the love but also to refresh your content and make it look new to search engines all the time. tongue

Yeah I've seen that, where there's a general reply to a group, and then another reply to another group. That works too, because it's still sumth'n.

I didn't know about the SEO value! Wow saleheensblog you're sharp, smart and my new best friend!!! big_smile

New comment> New content> New keywords > Google Happy

Your Reply> New Content> New Keywords > Another backlink to your Profile >Google Happy.

Your awesomeness is only exceeded by even more awesomeness!!! big_smile

tongue thanks for the great complement. I am only learning everyday. BTW I sent you a mail.

I just read it. I'm going to test your suggestions on one of my hubs. I may need to contact you...I think I need some hand hold'n!!

11. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

I reply to all followers who comment especially those asking questions and help reqarding the topic... as much as possible too, I will respond to all comments even if they just say thanks or generic something.... it's not the comment but the effort and letting you know that someone has read your hub... it's a different story if you have plenty of followers and has too many comments and everyday, having no time is out of the question.....

Maria Cecilia, it is the effort that matters and makes the difference. When I read replies to my comments. I chuckle, I smile, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside smile. I can't imagine that I'm the only person who gets a big kick out of a reply. big_smile

1. Maria Cecilia profile image83
        Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same imatellmuva, I don't want to think that I am this appreciative because I seldom recieved comments in my hubs, well if that is so still I will be very thankful especially to those who said thanks to your hub..

When someone doesn't reply, it doesn't mean that they aren't grateful for a comment. They may smile, say an "aww shucks" in their head, or do a little dance,  but it's the reply that let's the reader know.

I said I wasn't going to push this, but I read through my replies and it sounds like I am....call me FIESTY!!! lol

12. evvy_09 profile image59
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

I think replying to comments on your hub is great. It shows that you didn't just throw the article out there and forget it. I will make it a point to reply to comments no matter how many I get. Might be one reply to several but it will get done.
    I wonder if it will ever become a problem for me hmm

While I am fairly new to HubPages, and I haven't reached the 100 or more comments a day status, I would reply to everyone, given the person that I am.

Even if it's one big shout out, "A special Thank You to everyone for your interest in my hub. Your comments and opinions are very much appreciated!"

While I have not had a lot of comments directly on HubPages, I receive an overwhelming number of comments on my Facebook page, and I reply to everybody. I want people to personally know that they are important to me, and are appreciated. What other way is there to do that than reply? hmm

13. lender3212000 profile image62
    lender3212000posted 13 years ago

I think it depends on the quality of the comment. I don't like to encourage useless comments by leaving a reply. In general, I only like to reply to a comment if it provides additional quality information to the hub or provides something useful to the reader. My "thank you" to the commenter usually comes in the form of a return comment on one of their hubs that I find interesting.

hmmmm lender3212000....so, you may not reply to a comment, but will comment on a hub. Could the comment have been a reply? ...and you still squeeze in a comment on another hub?

Have you ever, in your wonderful life, sent a message to someone who didn't reply...then think ohmygawsh...did sumth'n happen to em', are they all right? Okay that might be a stretch here, but the point is...I don't even know anymore...the room is spinn'n!

Lender this forum post is getting so deep, I need a ladder!! lol

14. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

To go deeper you don't need a ladder. You have to jump down or use a rope or use an escalator or anything that help to go downward.lol lol

Yes I do need a ladder! I have to use it to climb down into the hole that I dug!!!

tongue lol wink

2. imatellmuva profile image76

...out of the hole that I dug!!! :rollseyes:

carry enough oxygen when going down.

Oxygen and a sandwich...I'm going to be down here for a while...the ladder broke! lol

learn about survival techniques

You're right about that!!

left too

Oh saleheen...you got jokes!! Clever...very clever!! lol

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3912389_f248.jpg

15. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I try to reply to all serious comments but do understand how it could be a burden for those who have many hubs.  Nothing is written in stone about comments nor how to handle them.  It is a personal choice, as it should be.

You're absolutely right. It is a personal choice. I don't want anyone to think I was trying to sway their opinion...it may appear so! I've learned a lot, heard many different view points, and gained some new friends...believe it or not. All in all this was healthy conversation...well, after I took (2) advils.

I want to be a 100 like you some day. smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad you see the different viewpoints here.  And welcome to HP!

Getting a 100 profile score is not that difficult.  Keeping it there is the hard part.  LOL!

I see it Randy I see it...I might not agree, but I see it. I'm not a 100 yet like you, so admittedly I have a lot to learn from the experienced veterans like yourself!

Thanks for welcoming me to HP...that really means a lot to me!! wink

16. Sweetsusieg profile image75
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

I try very hard to respond to all comments in a timely fashion ie; 1 day.  I don't have an outside job like most so I am a bit more fortunate to be able to do this.  On one Hub I have been blasted and have received over 300 comments, that one can get a bit tricky.  Depending on how many I get I may answer them all in one comment, separating the names and comments to each one.

The only comments I delete are the spam comments.  Sometimes I recognize it as being spam (telling the person who entered it 'no spam' please).   Do my best in answering each comment.  I have a tendency to look for reply's to my comments as well.  It's just an acknowledgment from the writer that I was there.

...and that's why your name is Sweetsusieg!!! People like me LUV U for that!!

How do you  recognize spam though?

17. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

I try to reply to virtually all comments unless they really contribute nothing to the Hub. It would be rare for anyone to say I failed to respond to their comment unless it was abusive and therefore deleted, which is fortunately rare in itself.

Welcome to Hubpages also, it is nice to see you start off with the right idea about good manners and interacting with the community.

mistyhorizon2003....you're making me blush!!

When I receive a reply to a comment, it makes me appreciate the author even more!

What's the saying? ..."Nothing beats a failure but a try". What you do is to be applauded....I'm clapping right now!!! Go On Wit' Your Bad Self!! (bad, meaning good) wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)