Stick with Hubpages or own website?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

I'd like to do more than just write and maybe start a webseries on a topic I enjoy. Was considering starting my own site, but got to thinking that I could just use HP and post videos on here. Possibly YouTube as well and maybe some day get AdSense there as well.

Any pros out there have an opinion?

1. MF8888 profile image59
      MF8888posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats a great question, having both is a possible solution. Don't put all your eggs in one basket :]

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Why don't you try it out and see what works?

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Both.

Hubpages is a great income source, but websites are a saleable asset.

4. daravuthz profile image61
    daravuthzposted 13 years ago

I think that hubpages is a great site to earn passive income.

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

You should not let other people control too much of your future. Once you know what you're doing, you've got to start making your own websites, if your serious about making money online. I'm working on one personal niche website a week - perhaps two, this entire year.

1. Bill Manning profile image66
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've never understood how you can make so many websites and keep them up. I assume those sites are the type you fill up the best you can, then leave them alone, right?

I have 2 dozen websites and I have most of the writing done by others. Yet still I can't keep up with them. hmm

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what kind of websites Nelle has, but there's a big difference between a website and a blog.

A blog requires constant posts to keep it fresh. A website doesn't.  I seem to recall Misha saying he doesn't update his website at all, he just concentrates on getting new links to it.

I have most of my sites set up so the date of posting doesn't show anywhere.  I write some good informative content and then rarely make new posts unless I find something really relevant that's worth adding.

It's a bit like writing a Hub, really - I rarely go back and update, but I do have dynamic content like eBay capsules and News feeds on the site.

1. Bill Manning profile image66
          Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see. I never made any websites like that because I thought without a ton of content on them they just keep going backward until they rank like number 1 million or so.

But since they work for you and Nelle I guess I was wrong. However I am sure the websites must be very targeted to a narrow keyword or niche. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Does Australian belly dancing count as a very narrow keyword?

It's true, the site doesn't make much money, but it has maintained a page rank of 3 for a long time.

6. simeonvisser profile image69
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

Yes, keep your options open. Start websites when you have the skills. I'm currently learning the skills on HubPages but I may do the same when I know how exactly money is earned online.

7. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

Stick with hubpages till you get some steady income.

8. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Start a website of your own. Promoting, marketing and SEOing it is fun and you wouldn't want to miss it. Also, it is better to spread your eggs in various baskets and I have noticed that a combination of websites and HP works well.

9. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

My opinion is that the best use for hubpages is for articles to connect people with your own site.  This is the plan I am about to follow - ask me next year if it works ! smile

10. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I tried getting started with Wordpress, but lucky enough my laptop started giving me issues. Anywho, I think I'm going to try the website. I can see it is going to take some time. Thanks again.

11. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I would do both, use one to refer to the other.

1. WoodsmensPost profile image62
      WoodsmensPostposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thisisoli do find better results with putting a link on hubpages to the site or put hubpages link on the site. What I am referring to is one way backlink or in series leading to the money page. I'm sorry I can't think of what they call that where all links point to the $ site instead of 2 way backlinking. Or have you experienced it really doesn't matter just as long as they link each other ?

I'm thinking of starting a website because I am making enough to cover the cost but traffic is a big concern. I don't want to start a dead weight webpage.

Any thoughts thanks

1. tritrain profile image68
        tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Web hosting is very inexpensive (I have a web host reviews hub) and you could easily cover the costs.

It definitely takes work to build traffic, but it's also definitely doable.  It does depend on the type of content and how desirable it is for visitors.

Hub Pages is a great place to test your theories about SEO, traffic, marketing, linkbuilding, and a niche.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Because Hubs have some authority with Google, links from HubPages TO your site are the best way to go. 

If you've already identified a subject that attracts paying traffic, that's a good start.  If you've already written several Hubs on that subject, even better - because when you start the website, you can simply add a link to it from each of those Hubs and you have instant authority backlinks.

Having a website doesn't have to be expensive.  The domain name is cheap as chips, it's only hosting you have to worry about - if you're unsure, you can pay by the month with hosts like Hostgator (though of course, you'll get a cheaper deal if you take the plunge and sign up).

12. tritrain profile image68
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Do both.

13. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Mix it up.

Don't have all your eggs in one basket.

14. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 13 years ago

There is no reason you can not do both.  I have three websites and write of HubPages.  I make 100 times the money on HubPages than all three sites.

15. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I have very focused niche websites that all have blog components and make very good use of auto-updating datafeeds, so that I can add targeted products quickly.

The blogs are not usually updated everyday (although the ones in the most competitive niches are), but are updated on a regular basis.

HP is about 30 percent of my income and I want to reduce that to 10 percent. So I need to make more websites and fewer hubs this year.

And no one writes my marketing copy, but me.

16. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Nelle, what is an auto updating datafeed?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)