jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (17 posts)

The Jobless World

1. profile image0
    Travis_S_Musicposted 6 years ago

So it seems it is still literally impossible for me to get a job right now. As such, I've spent more time on HP, skimming through forums and questions and hubs. I've posted more hubs than I thought I would already. This has been a pretty entertaining site so far! If anyone has an idea for a source of income while looking for jobs, I'd love to hear what you have to say (:

1. profile image0
      ssaulposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Keep writing articles on HP and other adsense share revenue sites and it will make up. Apply for amazon and ebay, it works well when you put in the work.

1. profile image0
        Travis_S_Musicposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'll have to look up some more sites then (: And I'll check in to the amazon and ebay ones

2. Shadesbreath profile image86
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Truth is, you probably need money now, and HP won't help you. However, I will say this: my hubs didn't start paying till they "matured" is the word the aggressive people around here use.

My point: If you have down time, keep cranking out hubs. No, they won't pay your rent right now. However, in a year from now, if you wrote 100 or so hubs while you were unemployed, you will have a check showing up from Google every month that you will appreciate.

1. profile image0

Well, money now would be nice, though it's not necessarily needed yet. I'm just trying to save up some money before I get out in the world! I have a lot of down time, so I've been researching more things that I work on, trying to publish better hubs. Even if it's a year from now, every little bit helps, so hopefully! (:

1. Shadesbreath profile image86
          Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you write them, you will earn. There's not much "hopefully" about it. Trust me. I don't even write anything seriously. It's all goofball humor and stuff, with just a handful of non-humor things, and I get money from Google--proving that you can make money by accident here. lol.

It sounds like you're actually putting in effort, so you have zero chance of not making money. You do the work, you get paid. Not a fortune, mind you, but a residual that requires no further effort once you hit publish. It is very cool.

1. profile image0

So I see. Well then, as time goes on, things should start picking up if I keep putting effort into it smile

3. thisisoli profile image54
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Have you tried going to a local temp agency?

Apparently they are having trouble finding enough computer literate staff for nearly every job opening in nearly every city in America right now.

1. profile image0

I have no idea what that is o.o

2. megs11237 profile image68
    megs11237posted 6 years ago

Hey Travis I just want to say I feel your pain.

I literally fax, email, mail, drop off about 12 resumes a day. Make follow up calls, write new cover letters for every job, etc etc etc

And the response is mediocre at best. Even Starbucks didn't want me. sad

I have a pretty good job history and skills, I dunno. Everyone keeps saying how people aren't taking the jobs that are there because they are on unemployment or whatever and I am wondering what jobs they are talking about?

I am not on unemployment though. I am one of the uncounted.

Lol funny I had this account for a year and just started writing myself since I needed to write something other than a cover letter each day.

Anyway just wanted to say you are not alone.

1. profile image0

Yeah it's no fun haha. I honestly don't have previous work experience, as I just graduated last year, live out on a military post the opposite side of the mountains from the nearest town, have one vehicle that my dad uses to take to work every day, and every time I apply to a job on post they are conveniantly on a "hiring freeze." I don't understand really. All the army wives are getting the jobs. A friend of mine's wife got a job at the youth center, she's only a year older than me, and we both applied at the same time. I got told they were on a hiring freeze, but the next day she got a call for an interview. I went as far as to apply to the sacker position at the post commissary. The manager said he'd call in two to three weeks. I checked back often, I was the only one on the list, and he never called. I even put up flyers to start giving guitar lessons. No one's taken to that yet. So I'm pretty much stuck in my own little prison trying to find some source of income before I move out in the summer.

1. megs11237 profile image68
        megs11237posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I find it helps to know people of which I know none. What's the saying "it's who you know not what you know"

1. profile image0

Yeah that's very true. Course out here on base, it doesn't have to do with who you know now. It has to do with you being an army wife or not haha

1. ThomasE profile image73
            ThomasEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

check out fiverr, elance and so on if you need reasonably quick money. Hubpages can make some money, but it takes time.

1. profile image0

I'll look into those (:

1. profile image0
                Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Travis, if you still have some money, may be you should move into a more "crowded" place to live? The only reason I am living in Toronto is because I have a job(actually two) here.  In a smaller town I would not stand a chance!

1. profile image0

Well, if I had that option at this moment in time I would. Unfortunately I have to wait a couple more months or so.

working