Happy & Confused - One Hub, 20,000 Hits in Seven Days?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Midnight Oil profile image80
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

Well, I very happy and totally confused at the same time. 

I have been here just two months, posted 50+ hubs, and well was expecting a slow start and build up of traffic, which was true until last Monday, when one of my Hubs went crazy.  It went from about 300 hits to a massive 20,000 in seven days - is this normal?  What did I do?   

Of course, I wish to thank everybody that clicked on that page - I am most grateful for two reasons - first, I have already reached my first AdSense payment threshold, months before I was expecting too.  Second, it gives you faith to carry on writing and adding Hubs. 

I wish I knew why the reason this particular Hub was so successful as I would like to both replicate it and share it with other hubbers.

Again, thank you all for your hits !  big_smile

1. lyndre profile image60
      lyndreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well done.
      Which hub was it?

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't answer this ^^

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

never reveal your best topics.. shhh, delete it.. smile

Midnight Oilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
              rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it comes with learning by experience! I made the mistake once and soon found it copied on a couple different sites, along with hubs written on the same topic. there are unfortunately those who search forums for exactly these kind of threads.
              It's hard not to share successes, and certainly you can, just keep some things secret. big_smile 
              you will do very well with your writing.

lyndre, I don't think anyone was specifically addressing you. usually these people never post in the forums, they watch from a distance.

2. lyndre profile image60

Why not?

2. Midnight Oil profile image80

Deleted

1. profile image0

Deleted

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

Done.

2. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Midnight,
      A great congrats to you!
      PS, given that HP splits visits/views 60/40 with publishers, the actual number of visitors was no doubt much higher!!!

It Pays To [ Keep ] Publishing On A Variety Of Topics.
      Cheers,
      James.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

first of all, a huge congrats! I knew after reading one of your hubs when you first joined that you were going to do very well.
    You're an excellent writer, you have great titles and search friendly topics. I don't know which one went viral, but I can imagine a couple of them with those titles.

look at your hub metrics to see search terms used to find your hub and look at google analytics.
    congrats! keep up the great work.

3. lyndre profile image60
    lyndreposted 13 years ago

Maybe I was a bit naive asking the hub.I did this in complete innocence and just curiousity. I do not like the accusation from other hubbers that I would steal your work.
    Maybe I still have my L plates on also lol
    Anyway back to the point.Congrats I think you just managed to catch the right topic at the right time well done

1. profile image0

There were no accusations that YOU would steal his work, this is a public forum, these threads get read hundreds of times. If he disclosed a high money Hubpage on this forum it would get stolen, end of.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I just checked. That topic is already being buried by others. No harm done. smile

5. Midnight Oil profile image80

Oh well - You live and learn as they say - fortunately, its a hub with a extremely short shelf life, and could be completely out of date and totally worthless in a week or perhaps a fews days or even tomorrow.   I would class it as a 'shooting star' hub.   

Karma is waiting for those who copy.... !!

1. lyndre profile image60

Hey Midnight The facts are you still got there. All you have to do is find another hot topic.
      Some hubbers myself included take months and years yo get 20,000 hits.So give yourself a big pat on the back.

Thank you - it might of been just a one off stroke of luck or I might have the knack to find that hot topic  - who knows?

My latest hub about Kate's Royal Wedding dress is a real non starter and has failed to reach even double figures, so you cannot win them all.

We all have to keep trying... wink

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Congrats Midnight Oil! May you have many more successes like this one. I've never had a hub go viral - it must have been wonderful to see those stats climb!

7. ns1209 profile image62
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Hey that's great the best I have done is get a hub with a couple of hundred visits a day for about 1 month - getting just a little over 5000 views. It was good! smile

Anyway, well done read a couple of your Hubs and like your style - you should do well here!

8. oderog profile image46
    oderogposted 13 years ago

That was a great start, keep writing quality hubs  and the rest will follow

9. Time4Travel profile image59
    Time4Travelposted 13 years ago

Wow! That's awesome! Congratulations on the views.

10. Midnight Oil profile image80

Well, everything is back to normal yesterday and today after that fantastic week.  The hub is back down to its usual 45 hits per day.  Not sure where the gold rush came from and where it went to, but I am grateful all the same as it has given me a taste of what can happen on here - it gives you a boost to do more.

All I need to do now is find another one to fly.  Although, I am definitely sure that its not the hub about Kate Middleton's royal wedding dress or the other one 'Top Tips for Calling Your Bank', both have just scrapped into double figures - Time for another celebration me thinks !!!

I am going to keep trying though....

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can I just say 45 hits a day sounds phenomenal from where I'm sitting.  tbh that's my rough daily total traffic across 70 odd hubs. And half of that is from Hubbers.

I may have cornered a market in stuff no one is looking for.

Personally, I am aiming to publish 100 hubs on stuff nobody is looking for...  !!

Nice one.  I thought maybe I'd write about stuff that happens in my life, but as nothing much has happened since 1973 it's all a bit out of date now.  And I can't remember enough to do the nostalgia thing.

11. Midnight Oil profile image80

I have started a hub entitle "How to Successfully Write Hubs That Nobody Ever Reads" - I will be upset if it get more than 10 hits....

1973 was a great year for me - found my first love, kissed a girl passionately on the lips for the first time, got to wear long trousers, it was long hot summer, great music, but slightly confusing as I kept getting this strangle feeling in my pants which use to swell into a small lump - how strange and embarrassing....

Lol.  Oh Jeez.

12. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 13 years ago

Hey, I've only been here for about a month and I am already an expert on how to write a hub that nobody reads... pfff... amatures smile

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

May be you are negative keyword research expert. lol

3. C.V.Rajan profile image59
      C.V.Rajanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad I am having company!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)