Blocking Websites

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

W.A.Leon posted this in another thread: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/ … -from.html

Basically, Google just launched a Chrome extension that allows each user to block certain websites from appearing in their search results. Supposedly Google is going to monitor the results and use the information to help them decide where sites should rank, I think.

I just blocked a ton of the nuisance sites, and from a user perspective, this is as fabulous as Edweirdo's forum filter. From a hubber perspective, ruh roh... This could be very good or it could be very bad -- or it may not impact us at all. We'll just have to wait and see.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did anybody look at the link Google used on their post? contentfarm tumblr or something. It is hilarious! I haven't laughed so much for so long!

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Interesting. Sounds quite bias and appears to distort one's ability to get ranked. But, then again, what do I know. lol

3. profile image0
    W. A. Leonposted 13 years ago

I'd love to hear more thoughts on this issue. What does it mean? Is Google trying to shut down eHow/Demand Media, Associated Content, etc.?

lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who knows? IMHO, eHow/Demand Media, WiseGeek, About and Suite 101 are heads and tails above Buzzle, Squidoo, InfoBarrel, Triond, Helium, et.al. mainly because they are edited sites. You don't just write whatever you want however you want and POOF! it's published. They do have strict standards and human eyes that read the articles. I really believe that sites like HubPages have to really just work harder to keep junk off of them.

I also blocked Ezine Articles, GoArticles, Article Alley and most of the article marketing sites I could think of.

1. Enni82 profile image60
        Enni82posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I heard about this earlier today. Not sure if it is good or bad for sites like HubPages yet...??? What is the overall consensus?

From a user perspective, the darn thing is fabulous. Who knows what it will mean to any particular website down the road. I think it's a "wait and see" thing right now.

2. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily.

But if 200 million people say "I don't want to see any more results form that site", yeah, it looks like that will affect their SERP.

And it should.

1. Pcunix profile image92

And, that is even MORE reason for HP to tighten up on the junk that gets published here.  Bad content can cause a vote against the whole site. Collect enough bad votes and we all suffer.

Remember, this is Google collecting the data and they have flat out stated it is part of an effort to identify junk content.

The writing is on the wall and here it is:

We’ve been exploring different algorithms to detect content farms, which are sites with shallow or low-quality content. One of the signals we're exploring is explicit feedback from users

we will study the resulting feedback and explore using it as a potential ranking signal for our search results.

I don't think that is subject to interpretation.

4. profile image57
    rieomposted 13 years ago

I think we need to see where the dust will fall.  I have read on a forum earlier today that possibly HubPages could be ranked lower in the Google System.  I sure hope not.  I have not written many hubs but I enjoy it here.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

http://thecontentfarm.tumblr.com/
    Here's the link. Mods feel free to remove it, but the site carried no ads - it's just a spoof site.

1. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile It looks similar to eHow, About and suit101 content.

Those are totally eHow spoofs. They've got the template and everything down pat. smile

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I wonder if a google employee put it up?

7. ThomasE profile image69
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

Seriously... I can see it now, on fiverr, "I'll block your competitors sites in chrome... for a fiver".

There has to be blackhat opportunities in this wink

1. profile image0
      W. A. Leonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny!

8. Smart Rookie profile image60
    Smart Rookieposted 13 years ago

I think that's the heart of the issue. Sites with an editorial process scrutinize every bit of content before it's published. These sites are bound to be rated more favorably because there is no chance of running across poorly written, or spun garbage that slips under the radar.

It will be interesting to see how much of an impact this Chrome extension will have.

9. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I downloaded Chrome, then threw it away after I read about cloud computing and the long arm of the government.  That may be neither here nor there.  Anyway...:

I could see a high value in having an extension that allows people to bump certain websites lower in rankings without suppressing them entirely.  That is, that kind of extension in addition to the one that totally suppresses sites.

10. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I think this is great. I will immediately block those annoying sites that rank well for technical questions but actually don't have good answers or demand a paid subscription to avoid a long, long section of junk to parse through before finding the answer.

11. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I just blocked experts-exchange.com.

It felt so GOOOD. Those results have been ticking me off for years!

I have a ton of sites blocked. I felt a bit like a traitor (no -- I didn't block HP), but it did feel almost as good as blocking the religion forums here. smile

12. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I simply don't get the pitch. I need to use chrome to block the autoblogs or spam site ? (Monopoly alert)

big_smile

1. Pcunix profile image92

The pitch is to help Google learn what people think useless sites are.

There's no reason they couldn't do a Firefox extension too and IE.. perhaps they will.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)