Got my first personal attack comment today!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (26 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Yep, a non-hubber left a comment that I am a "piece of sh*t" because I have killed venomous snakes. I don't kill non-venomous snakes, and in fact, we've rescued several of these critters. Sorry, but I'm not chancing losing another dog (two have been killed by snakebites), a pony (killed by a rattlesnake), or possibly a grandchild to a venomous serpent.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can't wait to be as prolific and famous as you so I can get my first attack comment! Consider it a rite of passage into the big time. smile

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoa. That's ridiculous.
      Hey, will you please come over to my place and rid it of ALL snakes, even the non-venomous ones?   I don't treat any animals badly, but I don't like snakes, period.  Don't worry about PETA.  They aren't allowed on my property.  haha

3. Ron Montgomery profile image58
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's really odd.  I could have sworn I'd left many personal attacks on your hubs before...guess I'll have to be less subtle in the future. wink

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

wow. I think that's over the line regardless of people's opinions!
    You do what you think you need to do!

I once killed a baby snake which I thought may be venomous, it was on my patio and we keep the door open, and I have a dog. I felt terrible for days because I wasn't sure.. now I have pics handy of venomous snakes in Florida.

3. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear about the comment but that is life on the net. Don't give the person another thought. hmm

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Lol, I get comments such as that on a daily basis, it used to upset me but now I very rarely get one which angers me. Very occassionally I will get an upsetting one, but general simple insults such as yours don't get to me at all now.

5. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

It happens to everyone here online. People have way more time on their hands that they feel the need to anonymously comment others with insults.

Commenters like this just make me laugh!

6. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I've felt like doing the same with a few venomous humans I've found. Thank goodness I was granted with the gift of patience! smile

7. David 470 profile image82
    David 470posted 13 years ago

I have been attacked personally to some extent regarding one of my old "hunting hubs." They basically said how wrong it was to kill animals...I understand some people are against hunting, but some of them go on extreme rants and express there opinions to strongly.

There are to many stereotypes out there these days.

8. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Lovely folks.

My most recent was

"Were you talking to yourself when you wrote this crap, you pretentious f**k??"

That was on an article that averages 10-12 thousand pageviews per month and has been extensively linked to by real people at real sites..

Yes, of course I was talking to myself..

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Law of averages, the more views a hub gets the more negative comments a hub will get. You can't please all of the people all of the time but you can please some of the people some of the time smile

1. David 470 profile image82
        David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, there are always going to be positive and negative people in the world. Offline and online.

That's why I am neutral. wink

I have this one hub that gets a lot of traffic, and have gotten my fair share of negative and positive comments. Then I had some commenters fighting over the topic lol....

9. tonymac04 profile image72
    tonymac04posted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Holle. Not a nice experience.

10. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Can any of us really call ourselves prolific writers if we have not yet had at least one good insult?

I think, probably not just yet wink

So there you go, your a real prolific writer now! I think that deserves a medal or something cool

http://www.trophiesplus.org/images/medals/Writing_VM256.jpg

11. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Must be an angty snake person out there Habee. as I had a non-hubber on one of my hubs getting all hot under the collar and insulting Australians for saying that they had some of the most venomous snakes in the world.

Opposing opinions and extra info is always welcome, but I wouldn't have thought that a world ranking of poisonous snakes would have prompted that amount of rancour!

12. Len Cannon profile image86
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

The number of really awful comments I got because I had the nerve to write an article pointing out that some video game characters were gay was really ridiculous. The number of hateful comments I had to delete were out of control.

Nerds are awful.

13. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

I too get these, in fact I got a horrendous one on my "Why Volvo Drivers are Dangerous" Hub, where the guy threatened to run me over if ever he saw me whilst out in his Volvo!!! He completely missed the point that his aggressive attack actually validated the topic of my Hub LOL, (However, I deleted the comment anyway as it was so vicious and involved a fair bit of swearing).

14. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Why not try this guy for a change ? big_smile

If you check his forum and the postings of this guy then i'm sure you'll find that attack on you was nowhere close to serious. wink

15. Ellarose92 profile image61
    Ellarose92posted 13 years ago

Wow that's crazy! Don't let those people get you down they just want to make people feel bad for their stupid amusmemt

16. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Maybe they would like you to post it to them next time so that they can take care of it. smile Just joking.

17. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

Habee, sorry to hear that. I also got a nasty comment from a non-hubber recently. I just simply deleted it.

18. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

well you know you have really arrived!

just delete it and forget, i guess the reader was a real lover of snakes, maybe in the same way that you love your dogs- it does take all sorts

19. tlpoague profile image83
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

That is terrible when people feel the need to cut others down like that. I wonder how this person would feel if they lost a child to a snake bite. Would they be just as protective of the snake?
    My first negative remark was someone accusing me of running a puppy mill after they read my La-Chon hub. It inspired me to write another hub on the difference of breeding your dog one time vs. a number of time for money.
    I give you a vote up for taking a stand in what you thought was right.
    P.S. I love your hubs! Great writing!

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow - thanks a bunch!!

20. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Other than this post and the one from the sicko threatening to rape my small granddaughter, I've been VERY lucky with comments - and I get a lot of comments. Like you guys said, I don't mind comments that disagree with me, as long as they're half-way polite. lol. I just deleted the nasty comment. Thanks, pals. Hubbers are always so supportive!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)