when does the money start?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Sinea Pies profile image63
    Sinea Piesposted 13 years ago

I am very new.  I have 7 hubs.  I have put all 7 hubs in as active channels. Google adsense results are zero dollars.

I realize that patience and persistence is key but how do I make sure that everything is set up right to eventually make a profit?

1. shogan profile image75
      shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sinea, for most hubbers, it takes months before you'll see any income worth seeing.  Your patience will be tested (as is mine, at times!), but hang in there.  Under "earnings," double check that Adsense is "active" and you're good to go.

2. relache profile image65
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ask yourself the following questions:  if you were a visitor to your own Hubs instead of the author, why would you find them useful and/or helpful?  What are they offering that you need?  Is there any reason you would buy anything off of them?

If those questions don't have good answers, especially that last one, earnings are going to be very hard to come by.

I've been conducting an informal poll about earnings on HubPages for a few years now.  It takes (on average) about 100 Hubs and anywhere from 9 months to two years for most people to get steady earnings that they feel are worthwhile. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hub-Earnings

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is excellent advice.

1. kannanwrites profile image88
          kannanwritesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I second, third, fourth it.

3. fundguru profile image61
      fundguruposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can find several Hubs about the earning with Hubs. Most users need oneyear or longer to receive only $ 50. But many users who have an account for several years are earning every month some money.

Just think that you at the beginning have not many followers nor a high score. As consequence not many people will read toyour hubs nor link to it.

In addition also think about the fact that old hubs also receive a lot of traffic from backlinks as well search engines. If you want to earn money then you haveto bring users from outside Hubpage to your articles.

So only writing Hubs is not enough, you also have to do link building and to win followers.

Well and of course the topics that you choose as well the way how you arrange the content has huge impact on the number of readers and the displayed ads.

4. iQwest profile image44
      iQwestposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sinea Pies - I've been on HubPages since the beginning of January 2011.  To date, I've written 66 Hubs.  I've been making it a point to write a Hub a day.  If I'm not able to, I double-up on another day. 

In January, my combined Amazon / Google earnings were under $3.00.  Most all of those earnings came in the last few days of January, roughly 25 Hubs written to that point.

To date in February, my combined earnings, split nearly evenly between Amazon and Google, are just under $50.00.

My still very inexperienced advice would be to keep writing as many Hubs as you can, do as much keyword research as you can, and (not to sound like the broken record) write your Hubs to the best of your ability in terms of content.

I've also noticed, despite doing keyword research work, etc. that I can follow the same guidelines that led to a strong Google search engine ranking for one Hub, but fail to repeat that success on another Hub dealing with a similar topic.

Some of this is a mystery.  It's definitely more of a mystery to those of us lacking experience, but there still seems to be a lot of unknowns for the successful Hubbers here, too, from what I've read!

I wish you the best of luck!

Sinea Piesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the encouragement.  Today I earned my first 48 cents.  You'd think it'd been a million dollars, I was so thrilled.  Proof of life, I guess.

Anyhow, my schedule doesn't allow for one a day...wish it did...but I can do 3-4, which I will.

Wishing you the best as well.

2. Mighty Mom profile image75
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Keep writing more hubs. Make sure you're using keywords. Oh -- and did I mention write more hubs?
    But as shogan advised, you've gotta be patient.
    Good luck! MM

3. Mikeydoes profile image41
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I'm in the hundreds every month now. It took 2 months to really get my feet wet.

Amazon is key.

4. shogan profile image75
    shoganposted 13 years ago

Going one step further, Sinea (I hope I'm not being pushy), take another look at how you're titling some of your hubs.  Others can weigh in here, but I think some of your titles are too generic to be picked up very well by Google (for example, "Lesson Plan Ideas for Teachers").

1. Mikeydoes profile image41
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if your hubs are not performing it is time you try something different.

I had a wide variety of hubs after 1 month, and only a couple did well. I started doing more of what worked, and really started researching keywords. It made all the difference.

2. Sinea Pies profile image63

That Lesson Plans article was a remake from a rejected article that I did for Ehow.  Gratefully, I don't have many rejects from that venue but when we do we can use them for something else.  We maintain the copyright. 

Can I remove it and retitle it, or is it too late?

1. shogan profile image75
        shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sinea, you can just retitle your hub while in "edit" mode.  Good luck...it helps to know we're all in this together.

5. thewanderer profile image61
    thewandererposted 13 years ago

This is a good question. I'm new here too.

I don't expect to earn steady income from my hubs at this point. I will try to be patient and just make more hubs. Goodluck to us Sinea smile

6. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Do everything that the others have said but patience is the key:)
    Welcome to HP smile

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image90
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

Expect to wait a good number of months to receive a payout. This can be around 6 months to a year on average, and in some cases longer depending on the kinds of things you write. Poetry, humour and recipes will take longer, possibly a lot longer, to make money, whereas topics actively searched for on the Internet, such as Why, What, Where, How and Buy, initially titled subjects will earn much faster.

e.g.

Buy ....... online here

Where can I find......

How do I grow vegetables

What is a Doppelgänger

etc etc

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Many hubbers have written hubs about their early experience earning money with HubPages (I am one of them).  Search for some of these hubs and you might a good idea of what to expect in the early months.

9. Sinea Pies profile image63

Thanks everybody.  I feel much better.  I was really wondering if I set this up right.

It does say "active" and when I view my articles, the google ads are on the page, so now I will write write write.

1. Ritsos profile image37
      Ritsosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't get my adsense 'active' .. just says 'not set' .. doesn't matter what I do .. have contacted via the site .. nothing yet .. I'm feeling sad ...awwwww :-(

Gotta say I am not the best one to ask.  I had already set up adsense through blogger so I had my code to enter for Hub pages.  Perhaps someone else will chime in with some help.

1. Ritsos profile image37
          Ritsosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Had an email from the team now and have sent details .. I suspect they are asleep right now as I;m in the UK, but hopefully it will get sorted this eveing :-)

10. shogan profile image75
    shoganposted 13 years ago

Sinea, I had a chance to read the "Lesson Plans" article.  Why don't you retitle it to include what it's really about, friendship writing?  Something like "Design Lesson Plans Using Friendship Writing."  That's not great, but hopefully, you get my point.

1. snigdha.s profile image79
      snigdha.sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sinea,am also new to hub but i don't believe that it takes 6months to start earning.Moreover i got my adsense just 2 weeks back.i have started earning already.There are many experts here who will guide you better but what i learnt from my experience is give good titles and your hub should have the keywords in different combinations.Goto google and enter the subject of your hub,google will throw some words which are most searched.It assists you and these can help you with your traffic.Next,a tip from Shailini leave the photos for the next capsule.On the right of your first capsule google displays some ads.Visitors are most likely to click them.Give more tags to your hubs for e.g dogs food diet dogs food habit,dogs food brands if you are talking about dogs food.

I never thought of the position of photo.  That makes SO MUCH SENSE! Thank you so much.  I am going to edit my articles and move the photos down.

I am so happy for you that you have started earning already.  That is just wonderful.  This is the most amazing way to enjoy writing, meet good people and earn money, isn't it!

Thank you Sinea ,Am sure you will do well ,your hubs are great ,just few tricks with keywords and title will do the work,am also experimenting so will let you know what works with me.

11. Sinea Pies profile image63

Yipee!  Finally!  I made .48 cents through Adsense!  May sound silly but I am really excited.  It works!

Thanks for all of the encouragement, everyone.  Truly, I know that Hub Pages is all that and more.  Can't wait to write my next Hub.

Thats great,there are more to come.

Thanks...I'm counting on it!

2. KristenGrace profile image61
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations !  More certainly will come, and best of luck on future hubs and future earnings ! big_smile

I feel a little silly but that 48 cents boosted my morale 100% .  Thanks for the encouragement.

1. KristenGrace profile image61
          KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wait until you reach 48 dollars - You'll get there!!

I think I'll have a party!  LOL

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
              Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It does take time to begin earning regularly.  You will learn what works for you may not work the same for others. The main advice I would give you is to write quality content.

Great advice.  thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)