Google Traffic Coming Back - Touch Wood

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (39 posts)
  1. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 13 years ago

My google traffic took a big hit recently, like other people here, going down around 50%. I hope I don't jinx it with this thread smile, but it seems to have started slowly climbing back up over the last few days. I don't know if this is because of me or because of google - has anyone else started seeing their google traffic coming back?

1. Kids Corner profile image59
      Kids Cornerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No mine is also slowly moving up.. Nothing crazy but I have seen a slight upward movement.

1. kephrira profile image60
        kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great! That's the same as me - one big sudden drop all in one go, then very, very slowly climbing back up. Still a long way from where I was though.

2. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I am basing it on what happened yesterday, yes, my traffic went up "very slightly." (few hundred impressions) However, it was Saturday, and that could of been a factor.

2. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 13 years ago

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

3. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

So far I don't see any improvements in google traffic.

4. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

Congrats on your numbers rising!  Mine was never hit "drastically"... It did drop between 15-20% depending on the numbers you take.  Curious to see if it will drop more or rise... I'm not really one to panic tongue

5. Len Cannon profile image86
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

It is slowly getting better for me.  I will admit that the Hubs I think are of the highest quality have done a lot better than the handful that got good traffic but I didn't put as much effort into.

I'm getting some oddly popular traffic surges, though.  Apparently my article about video games has become very popular google.ru result for "gay videos."

So that is happening.  I guess I can't complain since some people spend a lifetime trying to get in on that search term.

6. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I saw lots of red arrows yesterday, but my broad traffic figure has not improved at all.

I am seeing some low traffic hubs show improvements, but my big hitters haven't seen any improvement whatsoever.

But, if people are seeing traffic coming back a little, then that is great news for the site. Ultimately, I only need to have confidence in the ability to win traffic with new stuff to begin publishing like a mad-man again.

I haven't checked analytics, so wouldn't know whether those red arrows were courtesy of Google.

7. TheOneWhoKnows profile image58
    TheOneWhoKnowsposted 13 years ago

I also noticed the comeback in traffic

8. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

My traffic is always down at the weekend, so has dropped over the last couple of days - but the overall traffic numbers are still below pre-slap

9. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

When I compare "google.com" related traffic, it's very similar to where it was when they initially gave the slap.  Since I've not modified any of my previous hubs, I'm not really too surprised. 

My Traffic is slightly up from where it was Friday, but that's a trend that is normal.

10. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

my google.com traffic is rising.

does anyone know what a -1 view means? I have one of those from google.sg hmm

1. brandonhart100 profile image75
      brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

uh yeah I think that's when someone presses the button to "go back" smile

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really?
        Doe that mean then that if you thought you'd had 239 views (for example), in reality you could have had 250 views but 11 people pressed the back button to exit?

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My understanding is that they would just be considered a "bounce" and still recorded as a Google impression, unless they did it quick enough to avoid the ads loading, which isn't possible on my fibre optic connection but could well be possible for anybody stuck on dial up.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad there was only 1.. someone in Singapore.

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol - no, its just an effect of the 24 hour rolling stats.. not a "back"

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol thanks for clarifying! it seemed strange..

11. revmjm profile image87
    revmjmposted 13 years ago

I noticed quite a few arrows yesterday. Didn't know the reason so I'm glad others experienced the same thing.

12. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Hate to put a dampener on things, but according to my traffic sources page, google.com is much the same and my extra views are coming from the other googles, so when the roll out comes they'll be affected to.

13. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Perhaps "money in the bank" would be an easier measure of Google improvement. Are your sales improving. That's an easy one to measure, no back buttons! And the only one I really care about.

1. profile image0

Me too, and I have seen no improvement there when it comes to AdSense or Amazon.

14. profile image0

Ryan you said your were having great success with the HubPages ad program. Don't you think that that could take away from adsense? Perhaps even Amazon. Those ads are pretty big.

1. profile image0

Not necessarily "great" success, but the AdSense earnings loss since implementation has been easily exceeded by my Ad program revenues.

I was making reference really to the decline between 24th February - 3rd March, my AdSense and Amazon got worse on a daily basis with the exception of a brief return on Monday.

I haven't noticed much of a decline since friday, probably because there wasn't much left to lose hmm

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, when I was invited to the small ad beta group in January, I was briefed that I might/probably would see a substantial drop in my AdSense when the new ads started.  I did.  I have a graphic of my overall earnings that I just added to the "improving earnings" Hub, which shows the dramatic increase I've seen from the new ad program.  You might find it interesting to look at.

However I do want to say that you and make very different Hubs.  Your cash cow is retail sales, I've always earned more from the ads.  As such, I can't say if you'd have the same results.

15. profile image0

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. It brought me a little joy in Hub world, to think you were having "great success."

1. profile image0

Well, it still is a great success. In that it is the difference between me needing to get a bar job right now or being able to buy myself a little time to diversify.

Ultimately, the eCPM that I have achieved is higher than I have ever seen on AdSense. If I was getting my pre-crash traffic (90% higher) I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

I am moving into Kindle books, nothing of substance yet, just testing it out. But kindle book sales on Amazon have outdone paper book sales for the first time over the past few months.

I have sold a few books, I am experimenting with pricing, I see that as a potential major revenue stream.

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ebooks are great as another income stream, just finished my how to draw skulls ebook, although it is a short introductory and a test market first effort ebook that is on ejunkie I am going to put mine on Kindle too and a few others.

More and more people are seeing the benefits of reading ebooks on their kindles or ipads or phones!

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol - im already an aff for the skull ebook, it came up in the latest screen when i was checking stats wink

1. waynet profile image69
            waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I noticed in the list of affiliates, cheers now!

2. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ryankett, I'm s thtat also moving toward market. smile

16. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yep I am seeing some traffic gains too and I touch wood all the time and think I'll let it go floppy for a week and see what happens.

17. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

At this point, I'm simply glad to see google.com traffic since it slowed down to a crawl before March 4th. I have seen a slight increase from the 4th. The ad program so far is doing better than adsense, but yesterday I finally had some adsense clicks, at least it's going forward and not back. For the last 7 days traffic percentages look like this:
    70.22% - google
    10.65% - direct
    3.70% - yahoo
    3.24% - bing
    2.16% - google.com (referrals)

my g.com traffic pre- change was mid 90's%

18. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

OK, so I checked out my traffic sources.

My Google traffic has increased slightly, my overall traffic hasn't, but I would rather see a weeks worth of weekday stats before making a call such as that wink

19. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

My traffic is increasing and about of traffic coming from Google is almost back to it's % where it was last week. My earnings have also increased compared to some of the past few days. wink

Sales on Amazon are still low or non-existent, but hopeful by redoing the hubs will change that. smile

20. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Mine has been bizarre, my cpm has been low today for some reason, my traffic been up and down, really low one minute, really high the next...Ive been affected though
    Got a possibility of earning $80 a week on another site at the mo anyway

21. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I don't know what my traffic is!  It has seemed to be flat or a very slow gain over the last week or so.

Then yesterday Hp reported (at midnight) a slight increase, Adsense said it was up 50% (to a figure greater than that from HP!) and analytics reported no change from the day before.  roll  All while HP reported that HP views not only beat out google (for the first time in many months) but more than doubled those from big G.

22. profile image0

Very true Relache. On my product hubs Amazon and Ebay rule. However, I do have a fair number of hubs under a different name that are all about adsense and have no products. I was hoping to give the new ad program a go on those. But unfortunately paypal won't give me an account (a very strange and long story) so I'll never know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)