The Subdomain Switch ...What's Happening with you?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 538 discussions (1974 posts)
  1. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

I was sorry to see that this forum thread was closed to comments by HP:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/78912#top

There was a lot of good information going back and forth there. It may be that some snipe stuff went on between commenters, but the topic is still valid.

I'd like to see it continue.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My views are up over 100%, and rising. The hubs I had which were de-indexed and not re-indexed immediately have now been indexed, and have returned to the SERPS at a higher position than before. I just hope this keeps up. I am loving it smile Thanks HP, for bringing out subdomains.

1. Richieb799 profile image77
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

How do you apply for it, I'm a bit like Oli at the moment, bit wary about the whole thing.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I can't remember. I clicked on the link Paul provided in his official thread, which is now closed to reply. It's in the learning centre if that's any help.
          I was hesitant to move in case it affected my best performing hub. It did affect it, it sent its traffic through the roof. Like more than doubled to 1300 views a day. wow!
          Meanwhile, all my other hubs are regaining their old pre-Panda positions in the SERPS, and their traffic is returning.
          Newer hubs are seeing rises I didn't think possible. This is just amazing!

1. Thriller profile image61
            Thrillerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've also made the sub domain switch. If traffic returns I'll start writing on HP again smile

1. Thriller profile image61
              Thrillerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great news...the subdomain trick works!!! Traffic to my Hubs has returned to pre-Panda levels in less than 24 hours!! The hub that brought the highest traffic is back to no 1 spot on Google after sulking at 10 for 3 months now.

Thanks Paul....I can start Hubbing again now smile

2. Sally's Trove profile image79
          Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Go here for info about subdomains on HP:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/What … n-HubPages

Since the subdomain will be done for you at about the end of the month, you might as well do it yourself. All I can say is that making the switch hasn't hurt me...just don't know if it's helped.

I see how the Profile trail can be misconstrued by this "official" learning center piece. But can we put this to rest? smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
              Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure, as long as someone doesn't tell someone to go to "my profile"....I'll be fine with it. tongue

I promise to not tell you to go to your profile, for any reason. smile

lol

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
          LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As far as activating your sub domain: Go to my profile, click on the sub domain icon and that should be it. As far as indexing, search engines do that automatically but you can help by submitting your links to them directly. cool

1. IzzyM profile image86

As far as I could see, manually submitting them made no difference to the rate of indexing them.

4. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

go to My Account > Profile > Subdomain then follow the instructions.  Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.

We can all eat crow. livewithrichard is right. It's there. You have to go to My Account first.

2. David 470 profile image80
        David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My traffic has increased by 90% approximately! I have not written on here in months, perhaps I was a big fool not to of...I was sort of waiting to see what was going to happen.

Looks like Hubpages for some people is going back the way it used to be (knock on wood) before Algorithm almost.

I am looking forward to writing hubs on here again. Hopefully, everything turns out decent. My goal is still to make 300-600 dollars a month. The way things are going, I should make payment relatively easy this month. smile

2. Pamela Sarzana profile image59
      Pamela Sarzanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My Pvs went up, and seem to all have a better ranking.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would also like to see it alive.
        Jyoti Kothari

1. Aficionada profile image78
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's why Sally's Trove started this thread - to take up where the other one left off.  Go ahead and comment here; that's what it's for.

2. steve8miller profile image65
        steve8millerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am seeing a major increase in traffic to my hubs as well. This is a great innovation brought out by the Hubpages team. Some of my hubs that did not get much traffic before are getting much better views now. In the end it is all good!

3. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I don't know. I haven't switched over, unless it has been done for me already, which I haven't checked. lol

However, as things stand right now, I haven't seen an increase in traffic and I also haven't seen a rise in earnings. Everything is still consistent as it has been for a while now. smile

Cags, it will be done for you by around the end of this month.

After doing the subdomain switch, I'm seeing a resurrection in traffic on my handful of Hubs that were always traffic generators. I don't know if this is because of the subdomain switch or because it's just a settling in of the effects of Panda grazing.

I'm cautious about others' claims for huge rises in traffic.

What I do know is that those Hubs of mine which always had good traffic, pre-Panda, are now coming back. I don't know if it's the subdomain switch or Google/Panda settling in.

Well, I have switched it over and will play the "wait and see" game.

Good. 'Cause it definitely is wait and see.

2. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you taken your tranquilizers yet?  It might be a good idea - my computer desk somehow got a big crack in it when google had 0 indexed, then 15 and the next day 9.  Not sure how it got there but it sure is irritating. smile

Hang in there, Cags - you're in for a ride!

lol lol Don't have any.
              That I don't doubt. lol

2. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I changed mine this weekend. Everything sunk like a stone. I don't have one hub that's even in the 90's. I normally have none below 71, today I have 10. I hope this means I just have to wait, it's only Wednesday. I posted 4 new hubs, and only had about 10 views too, when usually they get more on the hopper.

4. Silver Rose profile image65
      Silver Roseposted 12 years ago

My Google traffic is up but my Bing traffic is down, mainly because Bing hasn't yet reindexed the new subdomains.

1. IzzyM profile image86

My Google traffic is way up, as is my Bing and Yahoo traffic. Bring it on!

1. Ritsos profile image40
          Ritsosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

how long did it take your hubs to re-appear after the switch izzy?

1. IzzyM profile image86

They are all indexed now. Some took only a few hours, and the rest took up to 4/5 days. I changed over to subdomains within half an hour of Paul publishing that we could, whenever that was.

1. Bendo13 profile image77
              Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm... I'm still waiting for any real changes.  My traffic is about the same as before I switched it over (on Sunday)  I'm sure it'll just take a few days before I see any changes.

But I did search "bendo13 hubpages" on Google and my profile is still listed as the old URL... so it must not have re-indexed them yet.

1. IzzyM profile image86

According to this you have 55 indexed Bendo smile
                https://encrypted.google.com/#sclient=p … p;pdl=3000

52 now... I had looked earlier and searched bendo13 hubpages again and saw both the old URL and the new URL in the results up top but now the new URL is gone again from the first page... but yet, this shows that it is still indexed.

Guess it's going to take a while before they bump all the old ones out... hopefully they don't think it's duplicated because my traffic is really taking a drop right now.

2. Bendo13 profile image77

Meh... 136 are indexed now but my traffic is dropping worse than before.
                  Hopefully it just takes a little time for the old URLs to be dropped and the new ones to take over.

Because from what I'm seeing the old URLs are still in the search results and they are outranking the new, legit URLs...

Put it this way.. I have 300+ hits right now and pre-Panda I had close 1000 every day... and I made the switch on Sunday sooo, still waiting it out.

1. wilderness profile image95

If you switched on Sunday you are about 1/2 way through the roller coaster, judging from my experience. 

Take a tranquilizer, close your eyes and wait.  Around Friday you could start seeing some good results.

I just ate a lollipop with a cricket inside it for today's video/hub so I'll use that instead of a tranquilizer haha.

I'll just wait it out and see where this cricket takes me.

3. Bendo13 profile image77

225 now, and the traffic is slowly climbing.. 500+ views right now... odd for traffic to jump on a weekend so something good has to be happening wink

I can't wait until the old links are de-indexed though because I see my old profile URL still outranks my new one.

Once they're all indexed and the old ones are de-indexed, then I'll get to see what these subdomains are all about.

1. IzzyM profile image86

You're on a roll! My traffic also climbed last weekend (unusually) and it was the start of the improvement.
                    This weekend my traffic is dropping as per normal, but from a much stronger position that ever before.

4. Bendo13 profile image77

318 of them are indexed now.. but only 520 views at the moment.. still have a 100 or so to get indexed and it's the weekend so we'll see how the traffic builds.

5. Bendo13 profile image77

407 are indexed now... and I'm down to only 444 views, sooo I dunno... weekend slump I'm sure but I'm not seeing a huge jump in traffic yet.

Waiting... and waiting.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Bemdo, did you always write a summary for each hub or did you just let the software pick up on the words in your first paragraph? Just asking, because recently HP made an unannounced change and the summary is no longer picked up from there.

I've been writing summaries ever since I noticed the change.  I should still pull text from your body text if it matches the search term.  So sometimes Google ignores your summary anyway.

But all my old ones automatically pulled the summary.  I see that it just wiped out all the stuff that was automatically put in there before.. real smart HP!  I really don't feel like going back through my old ones and adding in stuff.

As I can see from the ones that are indexed now, they all have a description... and it's usually the first few sentences.

Why do you ask?

From what I'm seeing things are looking good.. I just searched "squat jumps" and my one hub is page on page one and it hasn't been there for a longgg time.

The description it pulled looks decent too.

3. Jean Bakula profile image93
                      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed the summary area yesterday and was unsure if it was wise to make another change so soon. I usually just let my first sentence pick up. That's the summary I would use anyway, since it's the lead in to the hub. I'll wait a few days before I go changing too much!

2. Brie Hoffman profile image58
                    Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How do you tell whether they are indexed or not?

search on google:

site:yourprofileurl

6. Bendo13 profile image77

Everything finally looks indexed completely.. but I'm sitting at 491 views at the moment so I think it just needs time to marinate...

I will say though that, for a weekend, my analytics has a nice upward hump in it.

7. Bendo13 profile image77

It's after 3 AM and it says I have 716 views in the past 24 hours.. usually I'd see a dip at this time.

Looks like it's climbing back up!

I've been watching my stats too and Google traffic is increasing so that's a big plus!

8. Bendo13 profile image77

794 now.. looking good!

If it hits 1,000 I will be more than happy.

9. Bendo13 profile image77

My traffic hasn't hit 1,000 views in a day yet but I'm happy to announce that I finally hit that $50 threshold in a month again with HP ads... I did it the first month I switched back in March but every month after that I was just a bit below and had many days that weren't even $2 and some that weren't even $1.

I just had 5 days in a row all over $2 and the last day of last month was $3.. so that's a big plus!  I'm looking at $60+ months from HP ads alone if those numbers stay steady.

AdSense hasn't really jumped up too much yet though, but a few decent Amazon sales have gone through.  Looks promising.

10. Bendo13 profile image77

Can anyone guess when I made the subdomain switch from the picture?  wink  Steady climb back up!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5377967_f248.jpg

So your traffic is still climbing like mine?

Yep, it kept dropping from panda and I had one peak from when I had a few articles that were 100 hub scores then it dove until I made the switch... Now it's even higher than the 100 hub score peak and today I have 1,007 views in the past 24 hours so I'd say I'm back to pretty much how I was before panda...

The profile stats just take a while to reflect that it seems because I think they average things out on the graph maybe by the week or month.

I thought I would update this to show the progress.. my traffic is now higher than it was even before Panda hit.. I'm sitting with 1,100 views right now over the past 24 hours..

Here's the updated graph:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5403700_f248.jpg

Time for another update!

AdSense has been doing decent this month, even got a $2.38 click yesterday and it looks like I'll make twice this month what I made last month.

I've earned the most I ever have so far with HubPages Ads this month and the month isn't over!  Yesterday was my first day over $4 and I'm sitting with 1,233 views in the last 24 hours.

Here's the helpful visual though; the updated graph:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5426737_f248.jpg

3. Bendo13 profile image77

Time for another update and all I can say is WOW... my views were liked doubled during the week, I'm not sure what happened but of course it being the weekend I'm back down to 1,595... but I'm getting close to pulling in $100 this month just from HP Ads alone and I never did that before... AdSense is only maybe a quarter of that but that's still double last month.  I'm make even more on Amazon than I did on AdSense... so yeah, can't complain!

Here's the new graph:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5446722_f248.jpg

1. charliegrumples profile image39
                      charliegrumplesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

you're only getting $25/month from 474 hubs ... ouch ... that sounds low

4. Bendo13 profile image77

Popping back in for another update... I made over $100 last month on HP Ads which is awesome.. AdSense is doing well, even noticed a jump in mobile traffic and clicks... and Amazon is outperforming AdSense, making some big sales!

Here's the graph.. look at that baby climb!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5468782_f248.jpg

Bing and Yahoo are holding their own for me while google.com is up maybe 80%.  My new traffic source, wilderness.hubpages.com is also growing.

And I still have only about 3/4 of the hubs indexed and none of the best performers.  Google is still catching the duds of the bunch (I have a LOT of duds! lol)

I have no idea what the logic of this is...Now, nearly all of my 67 Hubs are indexed, good performers and bad performers. I have no idea why nearly all of mine are indexed, while this is not the same for so many others. Crazy making to think about.

3. Sally's Trove profile image79

How do you check for Bing indexing, something like site:URL, as you would do on a Google search?

1. Silver Rose profile image65
          Silver Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

Bing's only reindexed three of my hubs. Hopefully the rest will get indexed soon.

Woo-hoo! Bing's indexed one of my 67 Hubs, while Google has indexed almost all of them. Thanks for that info about finding out how many are indexed on Bing.

5. brandonhart100 profile image76
      brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

Everything up 100%... Google.com traffic is up more more than that.

6. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 12 years ago

I posted this on another thread.

Here is a screenshot with my recent traffic spike. The last two days at the end correlates with the subdomain move...it is slowly but surely increasing back to pre-panda levels!

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3003/trafficincrease.png

As you can see, the last two days have shown improvement and directly correlate to the subdomain update! Yesterday's earnings were pre-panda "normal" levels and today's earnings as of 6:10pm EST are shaping up to be much more favorable than what I was earning daily just last week! Also, that diagram doesn't include today's stats. I just checked and today's traffic at 6pm is already higher than yesterday's! 

In short, I'm pumped!

That's a neat graph. Where did it come from?

1. profile image0
          girly_girl09posted 12 years agoin reply to this

From analytics front page...screenshot that I cut down in size. smile

Hmmmm...I need to develop a better relationship with G analytics. smile

2. IzzyM profile image86

That is impressive!

Here is mine - I had a spike around the time of the Royal Wedding, but what I am seeing now is hopefully more sustainable.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5283893_f248.jpg

1. IzzyM profile image86

oh...that is small! How do I make it bigger?

2. 2besure profile image78
          2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WOW, how do you get all that traffic?  I don't get half that.  Ok, tell me you secret!  I am also pleased with the gain in traffic and earning.  This was a great move on HubPages part!

1. earnestshub profile image83
            earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My turnaround began today in Australia, with a lift that takes me back to pre panda figures. It will be because Google has re-scraped it all I guess, so it may not stick smile

1. 2besure profile image78

It might not stick?  Bite your tongue!

1. earnestshub profile image83
                earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It sure has jumped up. It's doubled since yesterday and is still rising.
                Maybe goddunnit?

I know, biggest earning day since December, yesterday!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Me too, almost, except I am still waiting for the Amazon results to come through. Day before just beats yesterday up to that point. This is amazing. Well done team! My traffic is still continuing to rise. Time to write more hubs I think smile

1. Brie Hoffman profile image58
                      Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok, I just did it and you guys have me hopeful.  I was kind of bummed at first because I had over 7000 "likes" on one of my hubs from facebook that just disappeared...sad

7. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I've got 419 indexed now, and I am not in the slightest worried about the ones that aren't. I don't even know which ones those are! How about you, Sally? Are you seeing a rise in traffic yet?

Izzy, when I give you these figures, please bear in mind that I am a very small player here...

On 7/14 I made the switch. On that morning, I had 185 views, down from 450-500 prePanda. (That actually was an incredible day, because my daily views had been around 80-120 postPanda...that's why I can't say that my current rise in traffic is because of the switch or because of things settling in after Panda.)

From 7/15 until today, traffic for me has gone up to about 220. ALL of it Google traffic. What encourages me is that the handful of traffic-earning Hubs I had before Panda are now the ones dramatically increasing in traffic.

All I know is that something's going on. smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

I also had a rise in traffic in the days before we were all given the opportunity to switch to subdomains. I did report it on the forums, but didn't want to make too much of it in case it turned out to be a false trail - we've seen too many of them since Panda struck!

But the rise in traffic since the subdomains came about has been nothing short of phenomenal. I am ecstatic! At the moment, my figures are reaching all time highs.

I know you have a lot fewer hubs, but your rise sounds great and really promising! Most of mine don't have great rises, but any rise at all is welcome these days, they are such a rarity!

I see since writing this post your traffic is going bonkers! Way-hey - enjoy the ride smile

Got Dramamine? smile

But I'm not at all excited about this. We all put a lot of work into HP to get where we got, and then poof! happened on February 23. I look at my stats on my Profile page (sorry, Cags), and I'm now back down to a place I was more than a year ago, despite writing many more Hubs. I'd seen a consistent rise in traffic and earnings, and then Panda, and that did knock the wind out of me.

So this ride is interesting right now, but it doesn't motivate me to continue to write here. For me, it's definitely wait and see time.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Awww...is this roller-coaster ride giving your travel sickness? I'm not seeing the lows yet, though I dare say they'll come. Then I'll be nearly greetin' and in need of therapy!

2. lrohner profile image67
              lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I'm not saying this whole subdomain thing will or won't work in the long-run. It's just that Panda is run manually at sporadic intervals. All of these new subdomains are Panda virgins, which is at least partly responsible for their rise. No one can know how they will hold up in the long-term until the next Panda run.

1. profile image0
                girly_girl09posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is why I am cautiously optimistic...going to wait before adding any additional content on here as it may not be worth my time.

Exactly.

You bring up an interesting point. Many have reported over time...since Panda...that their article blurbs on Redgage or Shetoldme or other places like that, linking to HP articles, often appear at the top of a Google search while the original aged article gets dumped into netherland.

So, you can become a virgin again! Outstanding.

3. Lisa HW profile image63
                Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I'm wondering:  I'm wondering if all we're seeing is a lifting of the original slap, and if, as each Panda "thing" is run every couple of weeks, there'll be new, more advanced, methods of filtering stuff out.    In other words, if this is just a Step 1 thing to put some stuff back to where it was (and Steps 2 and on will be coming every so often).

2. albc profile image61
            albcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

happy to hear this subdomain thing works for you, hope it works for me too..

8. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years ago

People need to serious quit telling people to go to "my profile". It's false information for those who want to get their subdomain.

Click "my account", then click on profile. To switch over, you will be asked a security question which you must answer correctly.

There is NOTHING on the profile of the author, to make the switch, so sending them to "my profile" is useless.

And the irritation begins! Not that I would ever gloat, now that mine is mostly over... lol

Better take that trank, Cagsil!

It's not irritation Wilderness. I am only correcting the misleading information people are passing out to others.

It's just plain wrong. The first time someone told me to go to "my profile", to make the change, I did. Just to see if there was a link there, I had overlooked beforehand.

It isn't on the profile itself, but IS under "my account", which isn't the same thing as "my profile". tongue

Well, at least that part of it I didn't have to go through (I used the link that HP gave on the first thread), and neither of us had to choose a funny looking name as we had no spaces or anything.

But it has been disappointing.  Had exhilarating.  And disgusting.  And exciting.  And, and, and.  Have fun!

It's actually getting quite weird. Since a couple of minutes ago, things are going bonkers in those old top-traffic Hubs of mine. Red up triangles all over the place. Who said this is a roller coaster ride? smile

2. Cagsil profile image71

lol lol

9. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

As of this evening, half of my hubs have now be re-indexed. Yahoo has been my biggest traffic gainer so far. Goggle has not shown much change.

I don't think I've ever gotten more than a handful of views from Yahoo. I wonder what this means?

1. Michael Willis profile image67
          Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yahoo is big with sports articles, so I get a lot of traffic from my sports hubs.

OK, TY for that info. My only knowledge of sports is that some bras are labeled that way. smile

10. sid_candid profile image57
      sid_candidposted 12 years ago

I just switched to subdomains yesterday. After Panda my earnings have dropped 80% and traffic has dropped about 60-70%. Hope things improve with this subdomain thing.

If you're like everyone else it will improve, but not for around 5 days to a week.  It takes time to re-index the hubs and in the meantime the old URL's will slowly be de-indexed with the result that traffic will probably drop for a while.

I'm in the same bucket as you. Overall, my traffic went down to, at best, 25 percent of what it was, and I can't even tell you about the slaughter on my earnings. I hope things improve, too.

11. Trish_M profile image79
      Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Hi smile

Sorry to show my ignorance, but how can I tell which hubs have been indexed, please?

Thanks smile

Search for site:trish-m.hubpages.com.  It will return a list of your hubs that google knows about.  Anything marked "cached" has been indexed.

1. Trish_M profile image79
          Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I have found my profile and three of my hubs ~ all marked 'cached'.

I presume, then, that my other items will be indexed in due course?

Thank you very much, Wilderness, for explaining this to me!

Much appreciated smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Trish, use this google search and your results will appear.
        site:trish-m.hubpages.com

Right now it's showing 25 indexed hubs. smile

1. Trish_M profile image79
          Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for your help rebekahELLE smile

You found 25? Were they all mine?
          ~ I could only see 3.

12. gracenotes profile image91
      gracenotesposted 12 years ago

Have noticed a bit of an upswing on my traffic since switching to my subdomain.  Nothing spectacular, but encouraging.

My CTR has been better since the switch, too.

13. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 12 years ago

My anxiety is that this change won't necessarily benefit Hubpages overall that much.

Many writers will see there traffic rise, many will see their traffic fall.

It will encourage the good writers to stay and produce more hubs, of course, but it might not produce more traffic for Hubpages Inc.

We all need Hubpages to stay healthy if we are going to make some money here.

There are many good writers who remain on HP. And many who have left. "Good" of course, is subjective.

What do you think HP should do to stay healthy?

1. waynet profile image69
          waynetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everyone at HP should eat their greens!

2. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The big benefit for HP will be that thay can claim in future "Its all your own fault" i.e. if your traffic is down, its because your hubs are low in quality.  We are all on our own now - no one to blame any more. The forced move to subdomains will hopefully mean that the home URL became pure and shiny again.

3. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That question about whether HP can stay healthy is one I've been thinking about.  I have no idea if I'm completely ignorant about the whole picture, but I've been pondering my own guesses.  If I'm missing some big stuff, or have things all wrong, someone can correct me.

There are things about this site (as far as writing sites go) that I think do/will appeal to a lot of people.  (Being able to delete Hubs and the flexibility are a couple of them.)  The HP ads came pretty close to the big Panda shockeroo, so it's only been a few days since people have begun to see that the original Panda slap  has, at least in a lot of cases, been "removed" at the same time HP ads are available.  To me, that's going to continue to be attractive to a lot of writers.

I don't pretend to know anything about the big picture, but I'm guessing there's the chance that more and more new people (those who want to write on the kind of terms writers have here); and I'd imagine that a good number of existing/previous writers (particularly those willing to do whatever it takes to increase chances of traffic) might just change a few things about the way they do things.  I'd another bunch (of either existing, previous, or potential) who "just want to write" and "don't really care about the money" might write here just because of the HP ads.  If they do or don't do well (traffic, money-wise) they won't care if they're here for whatever they get from here that they may not get from another site or their own blog.

I'd imagine a lot of the people who got fed up and went off to their own thing either won't be back, or may be back but less active.

So, it seems to me that unless future Panda runs get very tricky about exactly what is expected in terms of quality, the site remains a pretty attractive site for a lot of writers/content producers.  Also, now they've added some more social aspects (and nobody who isn't into that kind of thing has to get involved in it if they don't want), but I'd think it may be more inviting to some new writers who are attracted by it. 

I'd think previous big earners either earned from Ad Sense or Amazon (which HP doesn't get a cut of anyway, right?) or else by using this site to get traffic to their own endeavors elsewhere.  So, I'd imagine there were some big Ad Sense earners, and maybe HP does need to attract x number more new writers to make up for them.  Or, if what gets traffic now is different, some people who weren't getting traffic before may not be getting it (and earnings) and also kick in toward making up for however many big Ad Sense earners there once were but aren't here now.

I'd think at least some previous (and new/potential) marketing-type folks will just find a way to incorporate the new way things are in some cases.

The new standards aren't tough and don't exclude any writer/contributor who comes up with something of decent quality, so I'd think the site will still appeal to all kinds of people (and probably even more now). 

I'd think, too, if there's "fifty zillion" people whose subdomains get sunk into oblivion, some will produce better stuff.  Some will remain in oblivion or give up eventually.   If the site comes across as being of higher quality, some writers will feel more like writing here.  (I know when I first signed up with a different site years ago, I was embarrassed to have my name on the site.)  So maybe, in the reasonably near future, the site will attract yet more serious writers.  Also, people who are earning from their Hubs may become less active for their own reasons, but there's a good chance a lot would leave their Hubs to earn.  Something else is that a lot of the lower-level marketing people only took that route because they'd discovered that it was pretty hard to really earn much very quickly if stuff wasn't aimed at search engines.  A lot of those people said they didn't prefer some kinds of Hubs.  They just wanted/needed to earn and did what it took to earn.  Even with tons of people trying to write sales/product Hubs, people would be on here saying they only made payment every couple/few months (so it wasn't like the majority of those people were making big bucks the old way).  hmm

So, I don't know if I see things too simply; but, to me (and regardless of what happens with my own account as far as any progress or setbacks go with traffic), things are looking pretty promising for this site.

1. Will Apse profile image87
          Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are right about all the changes coming close together- panda, HP ads now sub-domains. Its hard to see what is happening overall.

I was reassured to read a comment just now, from a Hubpages staffer saying that new accounts did as well with the sub domains as new accounts did pre-panda. That is reassuring. It should mean plenty of encouragement for new writers which is the most important thing for the future of the site.

14. leahlefler profile image93
      leahleflerposted 12 years ago

My traffic has gone through the roof (well, comparing it to what I had before). So far, the subdomain switch has been nothing but wonderful on my end! Once my hubs indexed, the red arrows started showing up.

15. BaliMermaid profile image59
      BaliMermaidposted 12 years ago

This link seems to have good information on getting hubs indexed on Google, Yahoo and Bing.

http://www.skyblogz.com/website-not-ind … y-solution

It tells how to check how many hubs are indexed for Google but does not give that same information for Yahoo and Bing.

Can anyone help me with how to do that for Yahoo and Bing?

16. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

My numbers seem pretty much the same before and after shifting to a subdomain.

17. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I don't see the difference between here and blogger being any different to what it always was, really. So the reasons (ease, support, community and some free traffic) are basically the same. The exact trade off is just a little more idiosyncratic now.

1. lrohner profile image67

I completely disagree. On HP, you give away 40% of your earnings. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you either don't care how much you make or you make so little that's it's irrelevant.

Edited to add: I didn't mean that in a mean way. Just an objective viewpoint is all.

18. wheelinallover profile image75
      wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

I have been probably one of the only ones hurt by going to a sub domain. A few of my articles are on page one or two of Google and Bing in their niche but some of them are trying to compete with between one million nine hundred thousand and over five million.

I have done keyword searches on many of my hubs and still need to do quite a few more. I am wondering if the ones which haven't been hit by search engine traffic should be removed, and if they are removed will that help the ranking of the other ones.

If someone out there knows I would really appreciate knowing.

19. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 12 years ago

Did you know that detailed traffic statistics for your hub are visible on services like Quantcast?

This would appear to be against the Hubpages TOS for people who use their real name to post here.
      See discussion at http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/79235

20. Trish_M profile image79
      Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Hi Rebekah smile

It's ok. I checked again and found 40!

I overlooked the word 'site' ~ sorry.

Thanks smile

21. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

I think the verdict is in: sub-domains are doing the job. The lesson learned: never quit. Just think of all the people that threw a tizzy-fit and deleted their account. What a waste. Every business has days where you want to quit. You may fail if you stick to it; you will fail (have already failed without hope of winning) if you quit.

Good luck, people. It seems the attitude has improved with up trending traffic. My advice: Keep a good attitude regardless of traffic. Life is better that way.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Keith wake up with zest and integrity and start the day as you mean to go on.
        Hopefully my stats will do that- I am pleased with what I have seen having only 90 out of 140+ indexed and although I will never be a major earner or hitter it is nice to see the old favourites being read again.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Um, the lesson I learned for other content sites that never earned me more than a few cents and in one case closed and never paid me is: sometimes quit.

It is purely a matter of personal choice and judgement.

3. lakeerieartists profile image63
        lakeerieartistsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As far as I am concerned, a few days test is far from adequate to decide whether this is the best way to go.  I would like to see sustained traffic and earnings over a long period of time before I make that statement, although I will take any income that comes my way even if it is temporary.

22. Peggy W profile image94
      Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

I made the change a couple of days ago and out of 321 hubs only 29 have been indexed by Google and so far no change in money earned.  Can't WAIT to see the results like some are reporting.  Wonder why it is taking so long to get them indexed?

1. IzzyM profile image86

It'll be well worth the wait, Peggy, if my results are anything to go by. Since changing over (the same day Paul said we could - whenever that was), my total daily traffic is up 100% on even my best days post-Panda, my adsense is up, my Hubads are up, and my Amazon is up. Happy days - long may it continue!

Ps for those who can see my stats here - http://www.quantcast.com/izzym.hubpages.com - Quantcast is under-reporting by at least 1000 views a day.

Izzy - Did you change the metric in the upper left corner from People to Pageviews?

1. IzzyM profile image86

Duh! <face palm> Thanks smile

2. Peggy W profile image94
          Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow Izzy!  That quantcast image and report is amazing!  Thanks for the link to that.  Will start checking that as well.  A few more hubs have been indexed since this morning.  This will take a while if only a few a day are added.

1. CMHypno profile image82
            CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My graph at Quantcast ain't quite so impressive as Izzy's, but a small rise is better than no rise!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
              Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where do I copy n paste the tag onto my site (?),so Quantcast can scan please?

Thankyou.

1. IzzyM profile image86

It's been taken off. It doesn't work anymore because some people on here were worried about privacy issues.

Oh trust me being late for the bus lol

Thanks Izzy...

P.S My Avocado plant is growing up to be a handsome boy btw,even if he did start out upside-down-hehe

1. IzzyM profile image86

Have you named him?

Well he only needs water ,sunlight and attention that makes him male right ? (hehe)...

Think I will call name him -Chad wink

2. lrohner profile image67

Izzy - Just a little correction here. I believe they hid the information because it violated their publicized privacy policy, or at least came dangerously close. I don't think HP would make any drastic moves about anything based on feedback from a handful of hubbers.

I'm sure you're right. 

It looks to me like this was a surprise - that it hadn't been considered when designing the subdomains.  At least the first I saw of being able to use Quantcast from some hubber in the forums.  HP seems to have responded to it by at least temporarily disabling it until they can decide what they truly want to do and just what options they may have.

2. IzzyM profile image86

Yeah probably, I'm sure you're right smile
                    Anyway it's all sorted now.

The process seems to accelerate as more hubs are indexed.  Probably because as more hubs are indexed you have more and more links pointing to those that are not - it becomes easier for the spiders to find them.

I've only got a couple now, out of 100+, that aren't indexed.

3. Sally's Trove profile image79

See this post:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/79235?p … ost1714143

I don't have an account on Quantcast, but I'm guessing it doesn't matter. Looks like HP stopped putting this info out there.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Oh that's a shame, I enjoyed seeing my own stats there, as well as other peoples, and especially Hubpages itself.

Izzy is right, Peggy.  I haven't (yet) seen her results on my own stuff, but seem to following that same trend, just a couple of days behind.  Traffic is up around 80%, and yesterday was the best day since Panda.  I've still a ways to go to see pre-Panda traffic, but so far today looks like it will be another banner day.

On the downside, may of us began to see a drop in traffic around day 2 or 3 as the old URL's began to be de-indexed and the new ones had not yet been found.  Then I found the new ones coming in and out of being indexed.  It is a roller coaster ride, but the end is 'way up there. 

Unlike Izzy, I haven't seen an increase in income yet (although today is already the best adsense day in a month and yesterdays HPads isn't in yet) but I'm sure that with traffic will come income.

I also found a dozen or more hubs on page one - I was down to only 1.  Several are in #1 spot, and while those will probably drop a little, I expect them to at least stay on page 1.

1. Peggy W profile image94

Sounds very positive wilderness!  I'll just hold on tight and maybe even close my eyes a bit while this roller coaster ride takes place.  Have ridden my last real roller coaster.  The one at Epcot is scary!!!

23. sagebrush_mama profile image61
      sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years ago

I had a curious spike just before the subdomains, thanks to a current event that tied into a hub...50% increase in traffic, via one hub...smile

That one has slowly declined since the subdomain switch, but is running about twice the normal traffic.  Other traffic is slowly increasing, with a little more than 50% of my hubs re-indexed.  No serious changes in earnings, but the traffic is encouraging.

24. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 12 years ago

Mine is up to 152 hubs indexed, still not all but most.  My traffic stats are just going up now, but I am still in wait and see mode.  Will be for at least a few months.

25. GarunaLiu profile image60
      GarunaLiuposted 12 years ago

I just switch, and wait to see the results. Thanks for information.

26. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I've seen a slight increase in views and even had a couple of Adsense clicks. However, I wonder if this upturn is simply the usual boost that is given by Google to new web pages and whether views will start to fall again soon.

27. Fiction Teller profile image61
      Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

So far, so good...but it all feels like some kind of horror movie - lots of cheer and optimism now, while secretly you just know it's all gonna change after Panda has a go...

Regarding using HubPages over Blogger...HubPages still wins for me...just.

HubPages has way better customer service and technical troubleshooting than Blogger. 

Insofar as optimizing advertisement placement, setting up a new blog that's comparable to the flexibility of HubPages' is much more time consuming - and is it even possible?  Blogger's native templates don't allow different ad placement on your various pages.  Imported templates might, but I suspect those that do are hard to come by.

We also are paying for the service of their SEO and data shuffling expertise.  Because they profit from our pages, HubPages shares their expertise about what makes money, whether it's in the learning center or, more quietly but powerfully, in both the back-end and on-page SEO.

Not sure yet, but it looks like pages grandfathered in on HubPages at least still have some rankings juice that might not apply if all were on Blogger.

Lastly, HubPages is evolving toward becoming more of a publishing platform and less of a website, and it's going to continue, and I think it's a smart move.  They're being spurred on by Panda at the moment, but it's also the way the web was trending before Panda. We're going to see more and more people setting up "shop" online without having to build their own "storefronts" and maintain their own "utilities" and such. 

Unless it's perfect already, and it isn't, Blogger needs competition.  Oh, and it's true that HubPages ultimately takes a greater percentage of revenue share than Blogger, but don't forget that affiliate and AdSense links are revenue share in the first place, and Google appears to make a killing off our content with their own rev share programs....Check out the section on Google-owned Sites revenue in their latest financial statement: http://investor.google.com/earnings/201 … nings.html

There are things I do wish HubPages would change to become more competitive:

Letting us have more control of the page/ad layout. (Letting users play around with it would increase experimentation and discovery.)
      Letting us have control of our links to other hubs.
      Ease restrictions on the number of affiliate links.

Incidentally, about the community benefit - if everyone uses Blogger instead of HubPages, there won't be a community here to flock to...

Blogger has plenty of competition in sites like Wordpress and Tumblr. And I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about the rev share. Blogger doesn't take a cut of the earnings. You receive 100% of your earnings from AdSense, Amazon, Clickbank or whatever affiliates you use. Google Sites, a completely different platform, may, but IDK as I'm not familiar with their terms.

Adsense takes about 1/3 off the top - that is probably the revenue share being mentioned.  As Adsense is Google, that's their share on blogger.

1. thisisoli profile image71
            thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Adsense does take around 32%, however that is on all adsense ads.

So while you would get 68% on Blogger, you actualy get more like 40% of what the advertisers pay on Hubpages.  Taking teh argument down to this level serves absolutely zero benefit.

28. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

my traffic has doubled...that may sounds fantastic at first but it's still very low

29. ProCW profile image79
      ProCWposted 12 years ago

My traffic is heading back up! smile

30. Fiction Teller profile image61
      Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

I'm not familiar with Tumblr, I'm afraid, so I don't know how easy it is for people who are non-techies to use, or whether it has a flexible platform and appearance settings and professional layout, or if it's easy to add new pages and customize them.

WordPress (the stuff hosted on the WordPress website) is not monetizable.  WordPress as a downloadable website with templates is not intuitive for newbies to customize.  Out of the box, it's okay if you understand all the technospeak, but for non-techies or non-webbies, there is a pretty significant learning curve even then, from learning how to set up hosting to learning website-speak.  And if you want to make adjustments to the default template or add plugins as a newbie, it's not easy at all...even to make choices about what products to use!  Once you learn how, and get a handle on your favorite templates and develop a system, I imagine that's a different story, but for large scale Internet migration, we really need something simpler for your average Joe and Jane to hop right on.

Google Sites is very nice, very easy and extraordinarily flexible, layout-wise, but doesn't allow affiliate links.  The section in the earnings report I linked to called "Google Sites" isn't actually referring to Google Sites, but Google-owned sites, a different animal that I believe includes Blogspot.

I think that so far, Blogger is one of the easiest platforms to publish on and the most flexible to earn from, and doesn't effectively have any competition. But I don't think of it as free, somehow.  Or if it is, it's got hidden costs in labor and frustration.

Yes, we receive 100% of our revenue share earnings (which are already split with whoever runs the program).  So Blogger doesn't take an extra cut, but Google AdSense and Google Affiliate Network do from their programs, and Google is still making what I'd call a "killing" off of our blogs, given that they provide virtually no customer service or direct technical support.

But all of that to me is moot.  The real question is, on which platform do I earn more, for the work done, all told?  Even post-Panda, HubPages won hands down for me.

31. TattooVirgin profile image58
      TattooVirginposted 12 years ago

Mine is on the rise, I'm just a small time writer here at hubpages but it is amazing what one great hub can do with time.  smile

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes those are good topics you have chosen.

32. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Ok Ive scrolled ,had some coffee and not following where do I go to see if my hubs have been indexed (or not),since being on the new sub domain.

wink

Go go google an put in Eaglekiwi.hubpages.com

It will say Cached after it

2. Eaglekiwi profile image76

Ok Ive done that

Whoa its basically ALL the interactions Ive had while on Hubpages (which is follow link) and Eaglekiwi etc is highlighted but not a link...

So is that what everyone means by indexing?

Thanks KM smile

Well i only have 4 indexed so far...sad Out of 81... did u just join the subdomain? I hear it takes some time to get the rest indexed...

Indexing is the process where a server crawls through your website.

Sound like a caterpillar ,crawling through everthink!  lol

I joined up yesterday (SubD)

lol yep

Try it this way: site:eaglekiwi.hubpages.com.  That will produce only your hubs, and anything that says "cached" is indexed.

Thanks wildnerness smile

2. kmackey32 profile image64

Ooops sorry. forgot the site:

A "blonde moment" no doubt? lol

You know it and I am sticking to it....lol

33. Eaglekiwi profile image76

Ohhhhhh  I get it now !!

Thanks again wink

34. Richieb799 profile image77
      Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Perhaps when people with sub domains set up start ranking again it will lift the traffic of everyone on the site who writes good content and the spam/rubbish will junk sink?

Unlikely.  The whole purpose is to require hubbers to sink or rise based on their own merits; the trash will sink and good writing will rise, but the good stuff will provide little juice to either the trash or to other good quality hubs.

If the concept works we will all find out soon enough just what google thinks of our writing.

But surely it will provide improvement to Hubpages.com as a site and therefore profiles will get a little of the juice? unless I don't fully understand subdomains as I should lol
          I'm not writing at the moment..I'm getting more money from my sites. My traffic heres OK but I decided to do what a lot of other hubbers did to progress.

As I understand it, the answer is yes, the quality subdomains will improve HP as a whole.  HP will pass a little of that juice back to the subdomains, but it will be very little - nowhere enough to make a real difference. 

The architecture of the site as a whole will still help some (massive interlinking for instance) but it will never provide the benefits it could and did under the old google algorithm. 

And I could be far off base here, or the effects of Panda could be something else than what they are thought to be.

1. LeanMan profile image80
              LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The "value" of the links will have increased in the eyes of Google as they regard each sub-domain as a separate website, so if your hub has links pointing at it it from 10 other hubs on different sub-domains instead of 10 internal links you now have 10 links from other websites - and if they are in related niches - well they are good links! Internal links work for ranking just as external, but external links obviously hold more weight with google - this change basically means that you now have many more websites linking to your pages increasing your value in the eyes of mummy G.!
              As to HP, they now have many thousands of subdomains pointing back at them - each page a link from a different website!
              Or maybe I am talking rubbish I am far from an expert.. lol.. but it seems logical!

I would think that you are right.  While HP used to pass some "google juice" to hubs just from being HP the site can now provide a little more juice from the links than they used to.

As you point out, those links, both ways, won't carry the weight of a truly outside source, but it's better than a link between two pages on the same site.

If you're talking rubbish then so am I (no expert either) but it does make sense.

1. janderson99 profile image54

I would suggest that the link juice will not have changed very much. All links will be regarded as internal links despite the subdomains. Ranking is done page by page not for a site or subdomain. The links for pages within your subdomain will perhaps have extra weighting, but those links already existed in your folder before the subdomains. The key strategy should still be getting links to the individual pages which will build PR.

35. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Mine were all indexed by late Sunday,17th. I'm happy. I think changes will continue to fluctuate for a while, but traffic is up.
      I'm not so concerned with views, but the quality of traffic. It is nice to see where traffic is coming from.

1. Hubman007 profile image61
        Hubman007posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey,

When did you first make the change?

36. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

i switch first available point and  have about 123 of 146 indexed. It is quite nice as the uplift has been quite gradual, so I have got used to seeing the individual hubs rise. Not all of them obviously but it is nice to see one or two get a decent amount of views every day, at last!

37. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Amazon in. Yep, biggest day yesterday. Earnings have quadrupled. Hope everyone is seeing similar increases, and for those of you still waiting on your new subdomains to index, you now know what to expect smile

From 26 indexed yesterday to 92 out of over 300 hubs...at least the spiders are being kept busy!  Hope those little creepy crawlers stay alert and do not need naps.  Can't wait to see even half as good of results as you are seeing Izzy!  smile

I'm still not to your rarified heights, Izzy, but it's improving by leaps and bounds.  Yesterday I had the best traffic day since Panda - around the lower of the ups and downs pre-panda.  Adsense was as high as I've seen it even on the freak up days since Panda.  HPads was the highest I've seen since its inception.  Amazon was 0, but it's always been very spotty for me - I've only crossed the 6.5% mark once, during Christmas.

All in all it is very encouraging.  Enough to start writing again.

Hi wilderness,

Just experienced some of that roller coaster ride to which you referred.  Earlier today I had 92 hubs indexed and just checked and it was only 64.  Crazy!  I would have thought that once they showed up...they would have remained indexed.  Oh well...better than the 29 yesterday!  They have a long way to go before they all show up at this rate.

38. Richieb799 profile image77
      Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I haven't got sub domains to rejoice for but my site has jumped up another spot on Google today big_smile

What you waiting for Rich?  Come on over!

39. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

One hub has doubled views. All the rest are the same as before i.e. 0-2 views per day sad

I have tried backlinking them, but for the tiny, very short-term blip this produces, it is not worth the time.

I've also tried optimising them as far as I understand how to do it. I tried using Market Samurai on them, but it always deleted off the most relevant keywords because no one searches on them, leaving me with ones I cannot compete against.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Maybe you should write more, and aim this time at the higher trafficked and higher competition keywords, because your HP subdomain is powerful, much more so than a blog.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
          Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

'...because your HP subdomain is powerful, much more so than a blog.'

^ A statement based on your personal belief, or fact?

I also have not seen quadrupled traffic, or earnings.  An increase for sure.  But I hope the average hubber isn't having their expectations raised too highly.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Sorry, personal belief. My blogs were actually doing a lot better than my hubs, until this new change came through.

I'll just shut up. Sorry I have pissed so many off. I thought we would all see the same subdomain benefits, and was trying to gee people up, instead it is having the opposite effect. sad

Yea ,small spike perhaps.
              Main benefit seems to be to the site (HP)

But I am inspired to try blogging now ,oh why not just publish a book and be done with it lol

Will see what C.H.A.D thinks wink

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
              Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Izzy, it's good to hear everyone's experiences, including yours.  If people are not doing so well, then instead of griping - perhaps a look at your hubs and any other strategies you use might be a good idea.

1. IzzyM profile image86

All I know is stuff I learned on here. First thing, keyword research. You want your title to be search friendly - ie if you want to write a hub about growing potatoes, you'll want to know the most searched for term - ie growing potatoes, how to grow potatoes, grow potatoes etc.

Once you have decided on a title and url, remember to use that phrase several times throughout the body of the hub.

If you choose Growing Potatoes, remember to mention the term growing potatoes in the body of the hub several times. Google bots are not human, you could go on about potatoes eyes, dark places, earthing up etc and they still will not cotton on your hub is about growing potatoes unless you use that exact phrase a few times in a natural fashion.

Write a separate summary and mention your main keywords in it, which will include growing potatoes. This is a really important part of onpage SEO.

Write unique content. If you have to research your subject, don't just reword what someone else wrote. Add something new, even if it's only a personal experience. I find its a good idea to take your info from about 10 to 20 different sites. You choose what is the most relevant to your subject matter.

Try to write at least 500 words. I shoot for 700 minimum usually. Add pictures, videos anything else that can add to the visual content of the hub.

A mistake I made earlier on was to write about the obscure things that interest me, like the compositions of the oceans, or the icebergs of Antartica, but if no-one is searching for those terms it's hardly worth it, if you are here for the money.

Write about things that people are searching for. Even better if its something you know a bit about.

And I'm not an expert at this. A lot of the experts have left.  My results now are good but not exceptional. My earnings are no-where near as good as some people. I think I need to change tactics myself.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82

This Izzy, is the key lesson - for me anyway.

"A mistake I made earlier on was to write about the obscure things that interest me, like the compositions of the oceans, or the icebergs of Antartica, but if no-one is searching for those terms it's hardly worth it, if you are here for the money.

Write about things that people are searching for. Even better if its something you know a bit about."

3. Pcunix profile image90
              Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If we ALL saw the same effect, that would mean we all have the same quality hubs and the switch couldn't possibly have done anyone any good.

There have to be losers and winners or there was no point..

You're absolutely correct.  It is something that we don't really want to consider - that we don't write quality - but it is going to be there for many.

At the same time, what is quality?  What google views as quality is not necessarily connected to actual high quality.  It is more a matter of what works on the net and what google's current algorithm considers as quality.  To get traffic we have to please google, which is not necessarily writing high quality hubs.

1. Pcunix profile image90
                  Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.    I should have said "commercial quality".

4. CMHypno profile image82

I don't think that you have pissed people off Izzy, I think that it's just that people are have different experiences and so are reporting them.

Personally, my traffic has gone up a bit, but not by the huge amounts that you have experienced (congrats smile), so it's a question of what to do about it really.

It's also about what people really want from their HP experience - writing for fun and interest, writing for fun and interest and making a bit of money or writing for money?

I've been concentrating on finishing my novel in the past few weeks - thanks panda for giving me the push to switch my writing attention elsewhere - so haven't written a new hub for a couple of weeks, so it will be interesting to see how it goes when I start writing them again

1. IzzyM profile image86

Oh congratulations! I've been meaning to write that novel for the last 40 odd years and still haven't even started!

If, when you have published, you want a bit of a boost, I have the website <snipped> and will be happy to add your book to it. This goes for any other published authors on here too.

I can even stick a blurb about it on my best selling books hubs too. I'm not above lying even when they aren't actually bestsellers, but you never know!

1. CMHypno profile image82

Mine has been in the offing for the last five years - but I decided that I want to finish it by the end of the summer - 78,000 words and all characters in place for the final showdown!

Then it is a case of traditional publisher (if even possible!) or self publishing.  All help will be greatly appreciated, so thanks for the kind offer.

Hope the sub domain continees to be an upward ride for you!

2. Lissie profile image75
                  Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you define published? Self-published OK? Do you accept non-fiction-  oddly an awful lot of book bloggers don't - so there might be a niche there. I have my first book on Amazon - and yes its partly because of the nonsense here at Hubpages that I have it - while trying to decide the future of my hubs I analyzed the traffic of one of my better hubs - and now I have a book :-)

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
                    wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

the nonsense here at Hubpages?

sounds like you now have a book because of Hubpages. ..

Isnt it time to stop the Hubpage bashing already . ..

As Cags would say in closing. . .

Just saying cool

1. Lissie profile image75
                      Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote the book not Hubpages - couldn't even use the hub because I didn't own it - its not bashing - its reality - HP has lost me about $500/month income - that's not bashing, that's a fact.

I stayed with HP for much longer than I should have, everyone who was seriously about making money online told me to get my own domains, while stupid me kept saying no, no HP is a win/win - well its not - because at the end of the day the damage done here wasn't done by the Google Panda update it was done by the response of management to that update. 

Yes I improved my writing here, yes I learnt of SEO here (but from fellow authors not from HP), yes I made my first Adsense check here.

If HP had reacted differently ie actually listened and responded the advice they were offered - then my attitude would have been much more of let me help and fix this.

But they didn't. Kharma goes around and comes around - something quite a number of HP staff haven't figured out yet.

2. IzzyM profile image86

I will accept all hubbers self-published and/or ebooks. All I need to do is figure out how to make a category for them - call it 'new authors' or maybe even 'self-published'. The book will need to be on sale on Amazon or even through the Book Depository as I signed up with them the other day, and I'll need a blurb about what the book is about (which I will re-word to keep it original).
                    After all, Google loves content!

If anyone wants included just email me through my author link. My site is on page 2 of Google so it'll get read by someone, hopefully:)

3. CMHypno profile image82

Do you have a link to your book on your profile Lissie? I also have a book review blog (not as impressive as Izzy's) but am more than happy to write a review for you to get you a backlink?

40. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years ago

My traffic is way down today...

41. lisabeaman profile image69
      lisabeamanposted 12 years ago

I'm at 46 out of 51... but my traffic is down sad

42. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years ago

To kmackey and lisabeaman, don't forget that some of your hubs will be de-indexed before they are re-indexed, and if those hubs are amongst the ones that brought you the most traffic, you will see a traffic dip.
      But when they are re-indexed, they should come back stronger than before smile

1. lisabeaman profile image69
        lisabeamanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Izzy! I'll keep an eye out for that!

Goggle webmaster sent me an email asking me to verify that I am the owner of eaglekiwi.hubpages.com, and if I am to verify by adding some html do dah to my website??

Then we will index etc ..

I had a glass of wine with dinner ,its hot,and Im calling it a night lol before I screw something up.

2. kmackey32 profile image64

Thats good to hear Izzy

43. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years ago

As of today (just now, 217 of my hubs are indexed and traffic is edging upward, though it has not reached pre-panda levels.

I forget now when I did the switch - a week ago or less, perhaps?

44. Eaglekiwi profile image76

My traffic is steady ,...but no clicks hmm ,that sucks tongue

Thinking positively - it may take a while for Google to refine the ads it shows on your 'new' pages. In my experience, Google shoves 'any old ads' on there at first and then makes them more specific as time goes on. The page needs to be opened several times for Google to think about what are the best ads for that page. Hopefully click rates will improve in time as the ads become more specific and attractive to your readers!

Aww thanks for taking the time to respond to my impatience smile

45. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 12 years ago

I just moved mine over today to my new subdomain(fingers crossed)

46. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years ago

After about 5 days on subdomain, I'm back at pre-Panda. A slight decline in traffic the first day, then good increase for 2 days then a big jump up. I hope it continues and wish everyone else the same success!

Patty

Sounds promising... I wish to see the same myself but tomorrow will be 4 days for me and only about 30% of my hubs are re-indexed with the new URLs... traffic has dropped..

I dunno, perhaps this means I'm a horrible writer?
        The amount of comments I get would make me think otherwise but who knows what Google thinks.

47. prektjr.dc profile image73
      prektjr.dcposted 12 years ago

I had a couple of days of lull, but have had a significant improvement since!  Don't delay - get on with it and enjoy the jump!  It helped that I did not keep checking the progress...it was up by the day I checked!

Can I have some of your self-control?  Or were you simply comatose in the hospital? smile

48. suziecat7 profile image79
      suziecat7posted 12 years ago

A big improvement. My traffic is UP as is my earnings. Yeah!

49. Ritsos profile image40
      Ritsosposted 12 years ago

No Red arrows yet after the switch a few days ago though probably didn't help that I shifted a good chunk of my better hubs elsewhere. Will give it a shot and add some more here and see how they go.

50. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I can't say I'm delighted.  Traffic not improving.  Seem to be indexed, but no one wants to visit.  Come to think of it, that's the same as it was pre Panda.

Hooray!

I'm a failure.

Nahh, real failures quit wink

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82

I'm a failure who doesn't know when to quit!

Which makes me a success!

Need to write a motivational hub off the back of that.

1. carol3san profile image59
            carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't seen any difference in traffic.  Its been almost a week already.  But I like the status wall.

My traffic has doubled and I only saw highs like this pre-panda. I'm quite glad I continued to write in the months following Panda, earnings have been good, lets hope it stays that way.

My traffic is up also. Beginning to think that the Panda foreign language update applied to many english (non American) speaking countries. There was mention of some other changes. I have seen a boost in traffic and adsense cpc from down under in oz. Traffic and adsense earnings both up for my websites - though HP steady but small.
                I also think external links to your pages is the key to stability, page rank and traffic. The subdomain shift would probably have affected HP internal linking structure with flow on effect, especially if pages have no external links.

51. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I think i'm running 60-70% of pre-panda - which is much better than the 30%-40% it was before subdomains!

It's early yet.. I'll know better in a few weeks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)