jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

Concerned with Duplicate Filter on New Hubs

1. thisisoli profile image55
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I am concerned that one of my first articles since the update has received the duplicate filter and has been unpublished already, despite the duplicates being rather obvious stolen work, link filled trash hosted on some server in vietnam.

Now the Hub has not only bene unpublished but it has a massive hubscore reduction to recover from.

Should I expect more of this just because my work was up in the Google rankings quickly enough for someone to steal my work in the first day or two?

2. thisisoli profile image55

Edit:

A big problem I have found with this is now my DMCA Complaints have been rejected because my content is no longer visible on the internet.

1. IzzyM profile image89
      IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It hadn't even occurred to me that HP would unpublish so quickly when your work is stolen, in fact that is not the way it is meant to happen. That DMCA problem is just the icing on the cake! Come on HP staff, help out here!
      Hate the thought of those scammers doing this and getting away with it.

3. thisisoli profile image55

HP sent me a reply, their system checks for duplicates straight away incase you try to post the same article in multiple locations.  This deos of course not solve teh issue of other people stealing your work and you becoming penalized for it.

The only real solution is to email Hubpages first, wait for the article to be republished, and then send off the DMCA notices.

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am curious as to why it showed up as a duplicate instead of "copied?" Copied and it would still be published.
      Do they just check by day or is it in more depth such as time of day even?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image78
        Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"Copied" is used when Hubs are not duped when published, and become duped later.

1. Michael Willis profile image78
          Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Maddie. That is what I am curious about. If his Hub was copied, would the HP filter have caught it instantly or could it be because it was duplicated so quickly?

2. lrohner profile image84
          lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

....which presents a whole other problem. The only thing that I can see changing is that folks who used to publish their Squidoo lenses here will now publish here first and then go republish on Squidoo...and other places...all over the Internet. smile

1. profile image0
            ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is more desirable to have your original content copied to other sites, than it is the other way around.

That becomes a much greater problem for Squidoo, rather than Hubpages.

1. lrohner profile image84
              lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately, figuring out which page hosts the original content in the case of duplication/plagiarism was obviously not included in the algo change. They sucked at it before and they seem to suck even more now at it. More often than not, the original gets buried on page one somewhere.

So I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't get how Google would know which is the real thing. They obviously don't go by date of publication, based on stuff I've seen while searching.

1. profile image0
                ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

On some of my new micro-sites I hyperlink a full stop in each article with a link to the homepage.

If somebody steals that article, they probably won't notice the hyperlink smile

I have had hubs copied and seen them (the hubs) rise in the serps, although you are probably right, Google do suck.

Google are ignoring my DMCA requests, now THAT makes me angry.

2. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Someone has to steal your newly published hub, copy it to their site, get that page indexed, and then we have to find it.  It's rather unusual for that to tall happen in a 2-3 days.

An alternative would be for us to hold your new hub unpublished for a couple of days while we do all the checks, and only then release once we are satisfied.   I think you'd probably agree that dealing with an occasional false positive is preferable to that ...

4. thisisoli profile image55

On the plus side I have hopefully had 3 more content theives banned from Adsense!

5. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Thisisoli, understandably you aren't quite happy. I wish you luck with it, lame as that may sound.

working