Oh, I'll be the first... haha

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (36 posts)
  1. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

First, I'd like to say...

GREAT ADDITION HUBPAGES!!!

I'm open to opinions, critiques (and praise!) Any comments on improvements to my hubs would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

ProCW

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ummm, can you give us one example and we can give you some thoughts on ways to
      'make it over' a bit?

Don't worry, I won't hurt your feelings....well, at least not on purpose. smile

Honestly, we want to use this forum to help you all create the best Hubs possible based upon our experience with what has worked and what doesn't. We're not perfect by any means, but we can definitely help you guys out.

Think of us as this guy, but for your Hubs....only a little less annoying and a lot less crying.

http://seattle.redfin.com/blog/files/2007/12/chapin-home.jpg

1. ProCW profile image79
        ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this
        1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What's the point? You lost me and I was bored very quickly. And there is a far more comprehensive list here:

http://www.pronetadvertising.com/articl … mains.html

That help? big_smile

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Trying to rank for G-word lol

1. ProCW profile image79

Sarcasm... I could do without it. tongue

2. ProCW profile image79

In response...

The point is to showcase google's country-level domains and the lack of other country-level domains.

I realize there is mostly information and not much to "read," but as a reference, it could come in handy.

The list that is "far more comprehensive" doesn't contain most of the country-level domains that I have in my hub and is just a list. They attempt to list ALL (which isn't even close to all) of google's domain names, while I have provided links to ALL of Google's country-level domains that are currently available. I've also put specific countries for which each link is intended. So how is the list more comprehensive? Just asking.

Of course your response helps. big_smile Thanks for responding Mark.

ProCW

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
              Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OK

Well I am not sure how to be constructive with this.

I don't really see the point in a hub that is a list of google country domains.

Who would want to see a list like this? Perhaps if there was some purpose to it. I mean what was your reason for listing them? Could this list be of some use to some one?

Perhaps you could give your reasoning for making this list......

1. ProCW profile image79

I'm going to take that as...

I need to write an intro. paragraph or three... smile

right? smile

2. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Think of us as this guy, but for your Hubs....only a little less annoying and a lot less crying.

http://seattle.redfin.com/blog/files/2007/12/chapin-home.jpg

3. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

Am I not worthy or is it just that bad? smile

4. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

As I said in my sticky, please be constructive.  Instead of just rattling off the things wrong with a hub, offer some suggestions for improvement.

1. ProCW profile image79

Thanks Maddie. I really would appreciate constructive criticism. smile

I thought you guys (HP) would be chiming in with help... smile

ProCW

5. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

I think the title is a bit weak. "Google's Vast Domain" is not really searched on, even though it is descriptive.

You might consider changing it to:

Google International Sites
    Google Worldwide Sites
    or even
    Google Sites

1. ProCW profile image79

I'm thinkin' on it...

Thanks for replying.

6. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

Great place for Ryan The Loud! big_smile
    And only 3 people voted so far on the much awaited[?] poll [hub] so far? 3 different choices too. Incredible.

1. ProCW profile image79

huh?

1. SunSeven profile image61
        SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this
        1. ProCW profile image79

k... big_smile

7. Ryan Hupfer profile image61

Here are my thoughts on the Hub:

1. The title definitely needs some work, meaning that it's not very search-friendly and most likely wouldn't be part of a phrase that someone would actually be searching for. I would have tried something like 'A list of Google's many domains' or 'Worldwide listing of Google search domains'.

2. There isn't much actual interesting content in this Hub. It is made up completely of a few images and just long, long lists of linked Google domains. Also, the topic really isn't something that I would guess that people are searching for on a regular basis.

My suggestion, if you are interested in this subject, would possibly to do a more in-depth look at the many domains of Google and how much traffic each one receives in comparison to one another. You could also look at growth trends within the domains and other potential things that would be a little more interesting to read about.

A potential topic could be something like: 'The 20 highest trafficked Google domains from around the world'

Does this help at all?

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Now You Are Talking smile

Well, it's a start - I'm going to need help from all of you expert Hubbers out there, too. Hopefully you guys can chime in what you've learned along the way as well.

The way I see it, the better that each of our Hubs are, the better that HubPages is as a whole so I'm going to help out as much as I possible can and I hope that you all do the same.

...please? smile

1. ProCW profile image79

AGREED! smile Again, thanks!

2. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, what Ryan said.  I know your point was to show that Google is everywhere, but I'd like to know why they even have all these domain names, like what is the purpose behind them?  For instance, I know that search results are locally focused, but is that countrywide or statewide or what?  Search engines aren't going to find you unless you put something in there besides a list.

JMHO, though.  Thanks for being the first piece of steak on the skewer!

1. ProCW profile image79

I appreciate YHO! smile I didn't mind being the skewer a bit! smile

I'll be researching more and will show of my findings... smile

Thanks for the comment and will keep your thoughts in mind! smile

ProCW

3. ProCW profile image79

Possibly smile I need to do some research now... tongue I agree that the title isn't very searchable... When I first published it, I actually wasn't sure what the potential benefits could be, though I had a few things in mind... and even more now! smile

Your points are taken and I will begin research and my "Extreme Hub Makeover" shortly.

Stay tuned! smile

Thanks Ryan (and everyone else.) I appreciate all of your help! smile

ProCW

Happy to help...now who's going to be next? smile

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My reaction too.  I know there are a few videos in there, but if I hadn't been asked to critique it, I would never have read that far down the Hub - I would just put it straight in the "useless information" basket! 

So I would agree an opening paragraph or two would be helpful, and perhaps bounce one of the videos up there, too. 

I don't agree with Ryan about having all your content above the comments capsule.   I often add the News capsule or an RSS feed below the comments capsule - because the only reason I'm adding them is to take advantage of the "freshness factor".  Because my Hubs aren't topical, the News capsule rarely adds real value to my content, so I'm quite happy if people don't get that far!

1. ProCW profile image79

aww... ::sniff:: useless? smile hehe

I get what you're saying though. smile

Thanks!

ProCW

8. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

Well, THAT is a start. smile

9. Ryan Hupfer profile image61

One other thing - from a Hub structure standpoint, I would never suggest adding any capsules underneath your comments capsule. I would always have the comments at the bottom.

You never know when you will get a bunch of comments and then all of a sudden your links or other capsules are pushed way down there(like on this Hub).

1. ProCW profile image79

Point taken with that as well...

Did I say thanks? smile hehe

ProCW

Thanks for being such a good sport...it's never easy going first.

1. ProCW profile image79

Not a problem! smile I've enjoyed having it critiqued! smile

10. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

k... it took me long enough to finally get to it, but...

i added some stuff...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Googles-Vast-Domain

11. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I find it interesting where people have gone since 16 months ago - hope you will too.

We all have history if we've posted 16 months ago.

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)