jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Don't Use All Bold

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
    Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago

I've seen several hubs that were in all bold typing. I read that Google will now rate your down for that. One of my sites had a page in all bold and after reading this, I changed it. My site moved up several pages in Google soon afterwards.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
      PaulGoodman67posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your hub moved up because you edited it.  If you added or deleted a word, you'd have a similar effect.  When you edit, google assumes that your info has been updated, so gives it a brief nudge upwards.  Emboldening text is neither here nor there, methinks.  I strongly suspect you've been fed bad advice.

Barbara Kayposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It was my website that moved up.

It wasn't a brief move either. It's been several months. On websites adding or deleting a word doesn't seem to help unless you are one of the top sites.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
            PaulGoodman67posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Okay, okay, believe what you want!  ;-)

I just wanted people who read your forum post to appreciate that what you were saying might not actually be factually correct.

2. tritrain profile image76
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

Sometimes we just want to SHOUT at people.

3. Reality Bytes profile image90
    Reality Bytesposted 6 years ago

I noticed a website belonging to a HP member that had large bold type.  Since the site was for seniors I thought the idea was brilliant.  I could not imagine why Google would want to penalize a site for this kind of activity.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

But bold is harder to read. If people have older eyes they can increase their own font if they want.

1. KristenGrace profile image61
        KristenGraceposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I would never bold all text.

4. paradigmsearch profile image87
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

While we’re at it, using all italics isn’t that good of an idea either. I’ve seen that as well. smile

5. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

I don't find bold hard to read, but italics and all capitals very definitely so. I also find it difficult to read strange "artistic" fonts or stupid colour combinations.

I needed to buy something from a web site once. It was the only source of what I needed. I was unable to find out how to order, because it was all written in a very spidery italic in grey text on a black background. I had to email the site owner to ask how to make a purchase. Had another supplier been available, I would certainly have gone to them never to return to the first site.

6. paradigmsearch profile image87
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

I wonder if HP allows wingdings. smile

OK. What are wingdings?

working