What to write

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Jesse03posted 12 years ago

Hi guys.  I'm new here and was just wondering what might be some good topics to write about.  Can it be about anything we know about or maybe an opinion on something.  I like to dance, travel, and have three little girls so I have some ideas I'm tossing around, just not sure where to start.  Any tips or suggestions would be great!

1. Jlbowden profile image86
      Jlbowdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi and welcome to hubpages

I would suggest let the ideas start flowing, by focusing on recent trips or events that you had just witnessed. Write about your opinions on the latest world news. You can write basically whatever you want. Try writing some ideas on a notepad first and the first one that comes to mind, start writing a rough draft about that particular topic. I usually write about nature space and medical/health articles, because these are not only topics that I know the most about, but also am interested in as well. Hope this helps you out and good luck.

Jlbowden

2. profile image0
      Jesse03posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Being a stay at home mom, I don't really expect to make a lot but any extra cash would be nice.  I definitely have some ideas going about children since we have three little girls.  I'll definitely be writing after their in bed tonight lol!

3. Daffy Duck profile image59
      Daffy Duckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Write about what interests you.  Be thorough about it.  Take your time with it.  Do a good job.  Proof read it for mistakes and to see if it is how you want it or if you would want to change anything. 

Do this in a word document ifrst then copy the finished product onto hubpages.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

You can write on any topic you please - although if you're here for money you'll need to do some learning along the way.

Check out the FAQ for what you can and can't write about, and look at some other hubs around the site.

http://hubpages.com/faq/

3. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

Write about your interests - doing some research - don't forget the photos - and check to see what topics will bring in good revenue.  It's complicated, but I started just writing about things I like to do and places and included some of my photos as well as others I found.  Movie reviews have been good for me and reviews of other things as well.  The great thing about HP is that you don't have to find a narrow niche and stick there - you can be very diverse - even write fiction!  Welcome, and good luck

4. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 12 years ago

I suggest you write about what you enjoy, especially if this is the first time you've been published online.  If you write what you enjoy then you will quickly develop a nice portfolio. 

Although I can't do it, writing in one or two niches is generally advantageous as there is greater potential for earning - but only if you choose niches that are profitable and not too competitive.

Its a really good but steep learning curve.  Hubpages is an excellent community of helpful writers.  Welcome.

5. sofs profile image78
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Write about the things that you are passionate about. Write on those things that you are knowledgeable about, whatever you write make sure that you are providing useful information.
    A hub hop will give you some ideas (there could be some crap there too)
    Look around and open your eyes to the world around you and ideas will flow.
    Welcome to Hp and best wishes to you!

1. Howard S. profile image89
      Howard S.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really hate to inject controversy here, but I don't think official "Hub Hopping" will help either a newbie or HubPages staff.

1) The Hub Hopper is a filter that catches certain Hubs, those on which an experienced Hubber should make a decision. It is my impression that when a Hubber does not flag a hub for staff review, it passes into the system at large, and if bad, will only be encountered later by random chance. This isn't the place to get into what should or should not be flagged, but it shouldn't be done by newbies.

2) An excellent place for newbies to read for ideas is http://hubpages.com/hubs/best/. At the top of that page, selecting either Best or Hot will yield excellent examples. Selecting Latest will contain a mix of good and not-so-good. At the right side of that page is a list of topics. Browse through those and their subtopics down to as many as 4-5 levels.

1. sofs profile image78
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would like to disagree with you..hubhopping is not just for flagging..it is meant for reading new hubs and rating them or flagging.. ideas are found everywhere and hoping is one such place. I do not see why hubhopping should not be done by newbies..that is a feature provided for all by Hubpages., so why would you want to limit it.?
        The featured hubs are just one of the options and not the end of it.
        Filters are different  from hubhopping ..this is a feature provided to enrich hub reading experience for all

1. Howard S. profile image89
          Howard S.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't intend to pursue this. I do want to make it clear that the Hub Hopping feature to which I refer is that which is titled "Help us out, Hop some hubs" and appears only on the "My Account" page, just below the search box.

1. sofs profile image78
            sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are entitled to your opinion. Nether do I intend to go on with this discussion.
            http://hubpages.com/faq/#hop

1. WryLilt profile image87
              WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

From what I've seen, the hub hopper has 90% crap hubs, those with low scores that stay low. So basically it's a spam catcher.

6. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 12 years ago

Write about what you like, what interests you.  If you are interested chances are others are as well

7. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Try to stick to topics that will be evergreen, that is, not necessarily the latest news, but ones readers will still be wanting to read about a year down the road.  If you have three little girls, write about parenting or sibling rivalry or the best kind of birthday party for little girls.  If you've gone vacationing with children, you could write a hub about the best family friendly places to vacation.  You could write about how to get three children to bed at time...advice for new moms, write about what you know!

8. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

JesseO3 what I like most about hub pages is where ever my thoughts flow I just get it down and publish it. It is my belief that if you write about what you know and love your niche will find you. When it does, that is the time to do your keyword search. If you decide you don't want to keep the first things published they can be deleted.
    I personally concentrate on three areas, my past, my past when I had no memory of things past, and the present. People are reading and saying my work has value that is good enough for me.
    Welcome to hub pages, enjoy

9. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

Children/parenting are always good sources of writing ideas. Try to make your topics timeless so they will still be fresh months from now. If you can provide nuggets of wisdom or a 'lesson' while doing so, that's even better. Don't give just give us anecdotes, tell us why that anecdote is important or what you learned from an experience that we will benefit from as well.

10. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

There are a lot hubs for new writers describing what to do and not do. Click Hubs at the top, then Hub tutorials on the right side. You can click thru the hottest, best and latest hubs on the subject.
    Here is one about what Not to Do on hubpages:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-New-Hubbers … r-Hubscore

11. smanty profile image59
    smantyposted 12 years ago

For me, I try to write about something that I do not know anything about. I go online and research the topic for about a day or two and then I sit down and try to write a series of articles about the same topic. I then link the hubs together to attract more traffic. It has worked for me so far, and it is always recommended to write sets of articles that you can link together.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)