jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Changing Google search defaults?

1. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

As part of my translation work, I frequently need to carry out searches on technical medical terms and/or foreign language terms.

Google's assumptions are driving me insane, because I constantly have to keep re-inputting what I really want. For example, just now, I needed to search on "hypochondrion", and G immediately assumed I cannot spell and that I really wanted to search on "hypochondriac".

Does anyone know whether there is any setting within Google search to stop these assumptions taking precedence over the terms I actually enter into the search box?

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Have you tried going into your Google settings and "turned off" the Google Instant?
      Be sure to save preferences.

2. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Use www.altavista.com

It's a cleaner search engine.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

If you are logged into a Google account, you can click options (by the user name, far right of the screen), select "search settings," then choose "Do not use Google instant."

3. WriteAngled profile image90

Thank you! Will change settings.

Heavens! I didn't really Alta Vista was still in existence. I used to use it a long time ago. Will investigate it again.

4. WriteAngled profile image90

Arrgh, went to Alta Vista, but got thrown into Yahoo UK search.

Did the search on the example I cited:

"We have included hypochondriac results - Show only hypochondrion"

Why??? Why not just give me the search results I ask for without forcing me to make extra clicks.

GRRRRR

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You might take a look at scroogle.com - if I understand it right uses google search with none of the bells and whistles.

"hypochondrion" produced a bunch of results (some good, some bad) but with no extra clicks or work.

working