jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Following a Forum

1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Does anyone else out there hate the new methodology of following a forum?

I turn on the "following forums I post to" button and my email fills with hundreds of messages.  No way can I search through them all to find where someone has replied to my post.

Turn off the same button and I never know when someone has replied; the only way to find out is to repeatedly check that thread.

I find the forums interesting and fun to participate in, but this change has just about ruined the experience for me.  Am I alone in this or are there others that feel the same way; give us back our old forum following techniques.  Or at least make it an option!

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have to agree. I try my best to make sure the "follow" is unchecked or I don't accidentally follow a forum. I do not have enough time to check through a long list of e-mails added to my already long list of e-mails.

2. Aficionada profile image90
      Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey, wilderness - Is that with the new algorithm that Simone accounced over the weekend (last weekend)? or the one before that?  The newest way, which is supposed to be introduced this week, sounds perfect for you - if it works.  But I don't follow any of the forums, so I don't have a basis of comparison.

http://blog.hubpages.com

wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I hadn't seen that - thanks.  It sounds neat, it could actually work as described.  If it has been rolled out, though, I apparently don't know how to use it.

1. Aficionada profile image90

I'm hoping they will let us know for certain when it is rolled out.  Maybe the rollout is what is causing some of the other glitches we're experiencing.  It seems like when something new is added, it takes a day or so to get everything ebugged.

Sure - there are always bugs.  I just don't think this is a bug - it seems to operate just as designed and intended (assuming the last rollout hasn't happened).

Maybe someone will come on this thread and tell us all "Tomorrow, all will be well!" smile

I think I didn't express my thoughts very well.  What I meant was that perhaps the bugs we are experiencing now are symptoms of the attempt to roll out the new forum-follow-algorithm.  Maybe these bugs mean that the work for the rollout is in progress, but not yet completed.

Oooohhh, I like that!!  Let's plan on making it so. smile

3. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

agree wilderness, it gets over wellming at times

2. TMMason profile image63
    TMMasonposted 6 years ago

I was gripping about that to myself earlier Wild... millions of e-mails from hubs poluttinmg my box and jamming it up. I do not like it.

3. Aficionada profile image90
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Also, I have found that the new sign-in page - which I don't really endorse all that enthusiastically - is a good place for checking the forums that I have posted to.  Or, I can click on the "Your" tab on the main page of forums - and I often do.  I just check to see which on that list have darker type, and check those again.

The sign up page doesn't do me much good - I sign in in the morning and look around but then just leave it on the rest of the day.

I do use the "your" tab, but even that requires that you actually open each forum to see if the last poster was to you.  Whether it was or not, each of my comments need to be checked to see if anyone replied to them.  A PITA!

I understand what you mean about the "PITA."  But for me the two methods I use are easier than checking my e-mail would be, since I don't usually leave my e-mail account open when I'm on HP.  For me it's very simple just to see if anyone new has posted to a topic of interest.  I usually like to check out the newer comments, whether they are addressed to me or not.

4. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Unless I forget to uncheck something, I operate as if none of those features existed. I don't want e.mails about who replied to what (comment, forum post, question, etc.) or who wrote what Hubs (or who did anything else  lol).

I sign in, go through a routine of looking for whatever I want to look for (or at) and have my own system/routine for what I check when.  It may not be the most efficient way to operate, but I like it because it puts what I look at (and what doesn't show up in my e.mail box) in my own control.  smile

working