Can't upload images, on Chrome

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. fen lander profile image77
    fen landerposted 12 years ago

I've never had this problem before and have always used Chrome. I try to upload a photo or other image from my saved files and the Hubpages uploader can't do it. This is driving me nuts! Anyone got any answers? Please?? Help....help...

1. Jason Menayan profile image59
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What kind of error are you seeing? How big is the file that you're trying to upload?

I use Chrome on both a PC and a Mac and am not experiencing any problems.

2. R. Anderson profile image84
    R. Andersonposted 12 years ago

I too am constantly getting these errors on hubpages when I try to use upload.

Here's my info:

Google Chrome (latest version)
    File type jpg, gif, or png it does not matter they fail anyways
    File size does not matter either. Anywhere from 15kb reduced jpg to 1.8MB png they all fail.

ERROR MESSAGE IS THIS:

well, i just tried to upload them to get the error message and they both uploaded just fine... weird. I have been trying all night to get just two certain pictures to upload and they didn't work not matter what I did. Now I am posting the problem I have been having and it has magically been fixed. Perhaps it is a server side error during the upload for certain names on files for hubpages, possibly due to server maintenance?

Ok so mine just worked like I said but the error was something like

"There was a problem uploading your file. Please try again or upload another file."

It's a really generic error and does not tell you anything as to why the upload failed. Just that it did fail. I can vouch for fen lander's issue with the upload error.

3. R. Anderson profile image84

Forgot to add that it doesn't matter if I changed the erroring file to a different name, type, or size. The png did actually seem to upload at first but the file was blank with an X. Changing the picture size in the HubPage script did not fix the png issue at all.

Two of the pictures I was trying to upload had a lot of green in them, were roughly the same size shape wise as all the other previous jpg files that uploaded just fine.

This happens when I use hubpages a lot.

I find that sometimes clearing the browser cache helps, or simply closing the browser and then sign in again and begin to edit again.

4. fen lander profile image77

Thanks for all the info everyone... it doesn't matter what the file sizes are. They're small enough I know because Hub Pages has taken much larger files on board previously with no prob. It just fails and the message tells me just that: upload failed please try another image etc, but it makes no difference whatever. I've closed the browser and tried again- no luck. I've rebooted my computer- no luck. I'm pulling my hair out and seriously considering quitting hubpages as a result of the angst this is giving me. I'm going to try again in a moment but expect no luck. I REALLY DO have better things to do with my precious time. I DO.

5. jponiato profile image85
    jponiatoposted 12 years ago

I briefly had the same problem a couple of nights ago, using Opera.  I had just successfully uploaded one JPG image, the second one failed multiple times, I converted it's type from JPG to PNG, and the upload worked.  I don't know if my PC thought I still had the file open originally (I didn't) or what.  Other JPG uploads have worked OK since then.

6. fen lander profile image77

OK, I just tried to upload a completely different JPG and it failed again. the Message is:

An error occurred while uploading the file (file name)
    There's no other information at all. What are you supposed to do?

7. R. Anderson profile image84

I am having the exact same problems as you Fen. From what I can tell this is a true bug in the system. Hubpages staff will need to fix this.

Did you happen to clear the cache and temp files in Chrome?

I'm not sure what else to suggest as I think this is a 100% hubpages problem on their end only. Sucks I know!

8. tilinaoita profile image60
    tilinaoitaposted 12 years ago

and they will probably fix it soon....hubpages` staff are very reliable...I`m talking from experience.

9. fen lander profile image77

I've temporarily sorted it by reinstalling I.E. on which uploading is instantaneous. I'll occasionally try it again on Chrome because I prefer that browser. But at least I can get on with publishing my next hub. Bye.... Ps Go and read my hub.

10. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

fen & R. - Are you using Chrome on a PC or Mac? What version are you using? I'm using Chrome version 12 on a PC and am not having trouble uploading pics, but maybe you're using a Mac or a different version?

1. R. Anderson profile image84
      R. Andersonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason,

Google Chrome 12
      (12.0.742.100) is the version not my IP tongue

Windows 7 Home Premium

May I ask you Jason, does the upload widget run on flash? I was thinking it was maybe a Flash problem if so. I'd say my tech level is moderate to high, and I can't figure out what could be doing this. Although when I exit and restart chrome it seems to work sometimes.

It is also sporadic, and does not happen every time I log into hubpages.

I also have the very latest flash update

2. Jason Menayan profile image59
        Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi R.

Thanks for the data. I don't know if the Capsule uses Flash; I'll try to ask Fawntia when I see her this afternoon.

I have a similar setup to you:
        Chrome 12.0.742.112 (just a slightly newer update; maybe try upgrading?)
        Windows 7 Professional (v 6.1 - I doubt this would have an impact)

I was able to upload without any problem. It took about 3 seconds for a ~70k picture to upload. I was able to save the Capsule and preview the Hub with the photo in it, too.

Sounds good Jason. I'll try upgrading to the very latest. I doubt it will make a difference though. I'm leaning towards a flash issue even more now. Like I said though it happens on its own and there is nothing I do that should make it fail the upload. Most of the time it works and uploads quickly. Although sometimes I can't resize the image to half or quarter size without getting a blank with a red X. Switching back to full size will bring back the image. Same OS and browser.

11. fen lander profile image77

OK everyone who has tried to help me- Tnankyou for your time. I started to use IE and it worked. Man I was pleased. 24 hours later I went to my hub in edit on Chrome and tried- it is fixed. Hub Pages staff have corrected the problem- now I can upload willy-nilly. Happy. Chuffed. Lost for words in admiraTION AND WON'T BE HUFFING OFF. Caps lock was on there. Been to the Neptune... thank you everyone, I didn't REALLY expect a solution, but got one!

1. fen lander profile image77
      fen landerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

PS: Hub Pages staff did zero in on my prob when I posted my difficulty; next time on Edit a message box appeared which asked me to upgrade to a browser more to hub pages liking; I already had a browser they suggested but it
      didn't matter as problem had been addressed and fixed. Well done and thank you everyone at Hub Pages and 'out there'...
      Ps\ Ps. I also got an automatic download of Flash Player's newest version when computer booted up. And the msg box on Hub P's was 'You need to install the latest version of Flash Player to make Hub Pages Work Properly etc bla bla'
      Thank you Hub Pages Staff and everyone that tried to assist me- sorry about my bad mood- I was irritated.

No worries Fen, glad it is working! Mine is too! Woopiiieee!!!

12. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Glad it's working again for you both! smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)