Do you consider Hubpages a lot of work?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. hotwebideas profile image63
    hotwebideasposted 12 years ago

For the newbies and experienced Hubpage members, it seems that it takes some work to stay alive on Hubpages. From writing hubs to answering questions to being on the forums, I do admit it is fun either way but it takes a lot of work.

I know most experienced hubbers advise not to worry about HubberScores, but it seems that the hubberscores are indeed drive some people here.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are two extremes of Hubbers on HubPages - those who are focussed on making money and those who like the community.  The moneymakers would tell you HubPages isn't a lot of work considering the income potential - but there aren't many of them left.  The community-lovers don't consider the forums are work!

As for answering questions - I have only asked two or three questions in three years, and I've hardly ever answered questions either.  Given my Hubberscore, I think it's safe to assume the question and answer section has very little importance.

1. wheelinallover profile image75
        wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I came to hub pages to see if anything I had to say had value to anyone. I did make a little money, not enough to collect yet especially with adsense flatlined. I stayed for the community. If I didn't really like it here my time could be better spent where the money is, at least in my case. The writers who do make good money here in my estimation have well earned every penny of it. Its my guess that they have all paid their dues and continue paying them as part of this community.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't give a toss about hubberscores, though I am mildly surprised at how good I felt when I first reached 100.

I hardly ever comment on hubs, mainly because I can never think of something sensible to say other then "great hub" which I refuse to say because it adds nothing to the hub in question.

I've only ever asked one question, to my knowledge, and seldom answer questions.

I admit I do like the forums. They are a great place to interact, but I interact because I want to, not to increase hubscore.

So, no, the only work for me is in writing hubs, and even then I try to make them the best - I save my rushed posts for my blogs.

3. lisabeaman profile image69
      lisabeamanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm... I just wrote on another forum question that HP was a lot of work, but as I'm reading these answers, maybe I should clarify.

The writing isn't work. The writing is fun. If I could just write and post and forget about it, then it wouldn't be work at all. The work for me comes in when I try to make sure my keywords are right, my SEO is good, and I have to spend time posting the link to all of the social media sites. The whole money-making (or attempt at money-making) part of it is work to me.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

I think  scores and awards do act as an incentive. It's always nice to get feedback and recognition.

Personally I am more of a casual hubber. I started because

(1.) I knew a friend who was doing it,
    (2.) I had some humor columns and feature articles which had been published in print and not on the web. I figured it would be fun to share them with another audience, and perhaps earn some coffee money,
    (3.) I love to share some things about what I have discovered (in teaching experiences, in living in a beautiful historic area, and in general life experience) and encourage people to enjoy the same things.
    (4.) Since I had published a book for children and owl lovers, I thought it might be a good way to bring attention to it.

So I do not think of it as 'work', so much-- but if you are looking to gain significant income, it certainly is more like a JOB than just expecting easy money.

Since joining, I have found I enjoy the interaction, as well as reading the wealth of information that hubbers share.

I am not looking at it as an important income stream, but it is fun to get a few extra dollars now and then for "no apparent reason".

3. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

Except when birthing a new hub I don't consider HP "work", but  maintaining a high score here does take A LOT of time.  That includes reading and leaving comments on the hubs of others, hub hopping, and popping into the forums.  I tend not to do all those things in one day, but try to focus on one segment on different days...unless I see a hub or forum topic in the feed that grabs my attention. Then my "system" goes out the window for that day! smile

4. profile image57
    KINGRPGposted 12 years ago

They work very poor.

5. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

If you don't enjoy what you are doing I guess it does feel like loads of work smile

6. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

No!  When it gets to be a lot of work I'll do something else!  smile

1. Time4Travel profile image60
      Time4Travelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you're having fun, it won't feel like work. The HubPage community adds to the fun. smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Plus a couple of hundred bucks in Adsense earnings a month doesn't hurt either!  smile

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I know to stay out of the contests.  I'll only be mad as hell when I don't win. . . .yeah, that's really lame.  I need to get in one of the contests!

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nah - stay out the comps. Less competition for me smile

1. joyfuldesigns profile image68
        joyfuldesignsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At times for me it seems like it, mostly when I'm having to spend hours of research on one hub.  I spent about 10 hours or so on one hub, actually longer when I stop to consider the time it took going to the event, shooting photos, etc.
        However, it's also rewarding when people enjoy and gain value out of the work put in.

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I don't see any of it as a lot of work.  My "lot of work" goes on outside HubPages.  I come here to write what I want to write away from my work AND to earn money by doing that.  Because I only have so much energy/time for "serious"/"real" work, I stick to writing Hubs that I can write without a lot of work (or at least without the kind of work I see as "work").

I'm pretty much here for the money; but on my terms - not someone else's (which is the case with my "day-job" writing).  As long as I'm enjoying myself (for the most part) and earning - I don't see that as a lot of work.

If I can't really think up something to write a Hub about, I'll often come to the forums and see if I get any ideas.  That's not hard work, especially since if I don't get any ideas I won't be writing any Hubs at all.  Besides, I also come to the forums to take a break from whatever work I'm doing, because I find it enjoyable.  I don't come to the forums to try to "get known" better. I participate for my own reasons.  Once in awhile I'll be in the mood to answer a few questions (particularly if the forums don't have much), so I'll do that instead (but, again, because I'm looking for ideas and/or a little light "down time").  I've only asked a few questions (all in a row one time), but they didn't get answers; so I assume I can't think up good ones (I'm not creative that way.  hmm)  I read other people's Hubs if/when I'm in the mood, or if/when one catches my eye.  I always vote.  Do substantial comments if/when I'm moved to.  Otherwise, I don't leave "nothing" comments and only vote up or down instead.

Contests:  I don't get involved because (again) I only have so much time and energy to devote to something that's in addition to work, in addition to other writing, and in addition to the rest of life.  Besides, I don't mix competition with writing.  I don't care about my score or any scores whatsoever.  If my author score dipped below, maybe, 80 (after I've been on here this long), I'd probably take that as a sign that I ought to do something else. If "accolades" were to start disappearing, "whatever".  I'm not here for scores of accolades.

I don't know if this is still in the "help" section when people sign up, but HP used to essentially tell people to write good Hubs and enjoy their time on the site - and scores follow.  That's how it's been for me.  I enjoy writing (as this post and a lot more of mine show), and type fast.  So Hubs don't feel like a lot of work.  I really do enjoy doing a little socializing (whether joking, laughing at someone else's jokes, trying to help someone, or discussing), so the forums are enjoyable to me most of the time.

Time-management-wise, I find that I devote x amount of time on here.  It may be to writing a Hub or two in one day, but then not writing another one for quite awhile.  Then, I'll devote my x amount of time/day (or every two/three days) to either the forums, reading other people's stuff, or (more rarely) answering questions.  My "x amount of time" is either on evenings when I'd most likely be doing little but watching TV anyway, or else it's "skimmed" time during the day (when I need a break from real work, in which case HP becomes my "break" - not work).

So, the point is, no.  It's not a lot of work.  Just write whatever Hubs you want to write and "do whatever" when it comes to the community; and let the chips (or should I say, "scores") fall where they may.   smile  Participating in the community (even in limited doses) does help newer people get known better.  My approach is that someone is better off putting in a little bit of "quality" community participation, rather than wildly putting in a bunch of half-baked/half-hearted efforts and thinking quantity is going to raise scores or get followers.  (Of course, don't go by the length of this post, or some of the other "longies" I've posted at times. It's longer than a whole lot of people are interested in either reading or writing; but I'm a verbal person, all coffee'd up, and in one of my non-Hub-writing modes - and the length of this post is the result.)  roll

9. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

"From writing hubs to answering questions to being on the forums, I do admit it is fun either way but it takes a lot of work."

You do not have to answer questions or participate in the forums at all. That is only for networking, all of the money is made in the hubs themselves.

I do love forums though, because that is where all the smart people hang out and instead of going to "google" to search for an answer I will never find, I come to the forums.

The one and only thing that matters is how many views you get, so do your best to improve them any way you can, and never look back.

10. MartieCoetser profile image71
    MartieCoetserposted 12 years ago

I don’t regard HubPages as work. If I had, I would’ve hate myself for working ‘so hard’ for the tips they offer. For me HP is a soul- and mind enriching, time-consuming and addictive hobby I certainly enjoy.  smile

11. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

When I compared HubPages to other content sites, I found HubPages to be more user-friendly. Even with several changes to HubPages, I still like them better. Currently, I only write here. I don't consider it as too much work, because more than not the community and the HubPages team (YES, the team What? ...Shoot me!) are pretty awesome! I am here because I enjoy publishing an occasional hub, I enjoy comments, and responding to them, and I enjoy participating in the forums. To me, work is receiving and/or expecting an income, AND mowing the lawn...now THAT'S work! I haven't earned enough to even buy anything from the dollar store, and I could care less...cause' I love it!

12. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I don't consider it work because it is an enjoyable hubby, er, hobby.  I enjoy writing and having internet fun.

I think to be successful in terms of traffic and / or money though you have to work.  Hard.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)