jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (17 posts)

Looking for Critique of Hub

1. homesteadbound profile image91
    homesteadboundposted 6 years ago

I was hoping to get some input on how to improve this hub:
    http://homesteadbound.hubpages.com/hub/ … lag-Design
    Also, I had difficulty deciding what category to place it in. Is the correct place to ask for this help? Thank you in advance.

1. manthy profile image78
      manthyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It looks good to me, I love it

homesteadboundposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your response. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, but sometimes I can't figure out all the places I am supposed to be checking. Hubpages is a great place to be lost in though.

2. sasta10 profile image65
      sasta10posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Looks good very informative, the hub is of good quality thats why you are getting comments from hubbers, thats tells you your hub is good also, score of 79 is not bad at all.  Thanks.

Thanks for your response, sasta10. I am trying really hard to learn so much in a short period of time. Not a moment to waste. I appreciate your kind remarks.

3. kschang profile image89
      kschangposted 6 years agoin reply to this

As you insisted...

I couldn't quite tell what is the "flow" of your hub. It is not chronological, nor is it topical. You started with a short history of Republic of Texas, then jumped to the meaning of the current flag, then did a flashback to the two alternate designs.

Technically speaking the history is superfluous, and belongs in a sidebar. So do the alternate designs. However, that would leave you with almost no hub. :-D

Information is good. it's the organization that needs some work, IMHO.

I will definitely look at that. It makes sense. Thanks!

4. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Kschang and I seem to be agreeing a bit today!

If your title says you're writing about the flag, your first paragraph should also be about the flag.  You can follow up with some background information about the history of Texas - but if people have arrived at your Hub to read about the flag and find themselves reading something else, you'll lose them!

You have a lot of links to other sites.  Are they really necessary? 

If you want to make money with HubPages, you want readers to leave your Hub by clicking on your ads (or on a link to your own website if applicable).  Not on other people's links!   Include links only if they add real value to your Hub.   It's good to acknowledge sites which you've found helpful but there's no need to go overboard - if all you got was a sentence or two from a site, it doesn't need to be acknowledged!

Lots of good points made and lots to think about. Being new to this, I really appreciate all the good feedback.

2. homesteadbound profile image91

I did some rework on the hub per your suggestions and I do like it better. I still want to work on it some more. I now have the first paragraph talking about the flag, and the history stuff in a side bar. With suggestions like yours, I can't help but get better. Thanks so much!

5. kschang profile image89

Regarding updated design:

Now you have too much in the sidebar. (Which was what I was afraid of)

Recommend you move the flag up to first capsule, full width. Then expand the list.

Instead of saying "items are A, B, and C"

Do

List

* A
      * B
      * C

That is far more readable, looks more appealing, and actually makes for better layout. (And pads your length a little)

I agree with you on having too much in the side bar, and that's why I said that I still wanted to work in it some more, but I had to leave for a while. Thank you for your input. And we were thinking alike, as I was intending to move the flag to the first capsule, just ran out of time before I had to go. I'll look at it again. Thanks for the input.

2. homesteadbound profile image91

I have completed the hub, although I really did not want to make the flag full width. But I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say do list
        *A
        * B
        *C
        What should I placing in the list. I did not see anything in the hub that I thought would work that way. Maybe  I am overlokking something though. Thanks for your help.

1. kschang profile image89

The colors' meanings, and the meanings of the 5 points on the star?

I will look at that. Thanks!

2. Peter Owen profile image59
    Peter Owenposted 6 years ago

I think it is a great article

Thank you for your response.mSorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. There are so many places to stumble around and get lost in. But I'm having a good time

working