inappropriate sex ads/

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Pat Merewether profile image61
    Pat Merewetherposted 15 years ago

i've mentioned this before, but i just checked my 84 articles and a huge number of them have ads for 'filipina girls', 'sexy singles', etc.  my articles are about gradening, food, travel and family topics - there are even two ads for sex on my article about 'webkinz'!

I emailed the help section asking that these ads be removed.  now i'm wondering if the money i'm making on hub is at the expensie of some young girl's innocence?  i'm not a prude, but this is far beyond what's appropriate for a site like this.

any thoughts on this?

2. relache profile image66
    relacheposted 15 years ago

If you are registered with Google for AdSense, you can have those ads blocked for the 60% of the time that your ad code is on the Hubs.

But there's no way that HubPages is going to be able to block that stuff from just your Hubs for the 40% of the time that their codes are on them.

Those ads are one of the adult-oriented contradictions on this site, sort of like all those hubs of women with barely-covered nipples wearing thongs.  You're just going to have to put up with them.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

Hi Pat:

You have posted about this 3 months ago (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/5643), and I gave the same answer there that I repeated in my email to you this morning.

4. Pat Merewether profile image61

I know I posted it before - and i was told to 'wait' for the ads to fit the articles.  well, many of my articles have been up for months and had appropriate ads (eventually).  But when I checked them all today, about a third of my articles have the 'young fillipina women' or 'girls in bikinis' on them - even the ones that are specfically for and about kids! what the heck?

so, i'm supposed to check all my articles every few days to see if those ads have creeped back in again?  that's nuts.

And yes, if it's still happening in another few months I will post this complaint on the forum again - go get over it (that's what I'm supposed to do, right?)  Ticks me off to have my nine--year-old granddaughter ask me why those ads are in the Hannah Montana article and Webkinz article we worked on together.  what should i tell her?

5. profiler profile image64
    profilerposted 15 years ago

It seems internet has a lot of perverts and sex sells... adsense is a marketing tool, so whatever they say, it's gonna have convert adult content... it's really a load of bull**** by adsense policies, that doesn't appear in adult content sites but suports devious behaviours.

6. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

OK, I am talking not from the point of opposing sexy ads - I just love Filipina girls (big_smile) - but from the point of ads relevance, that definitely affects the revenue.

Several times already I was suggesting to use around text capsules and tags officially endorsed by google https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … swer=23168 markers <!--google_ad_section_start--> and <!--google_ad_section_end--> that significantly increase the relevance of the ads.

That said, in this particular case I tend to think chances are you are affected by the current economic situation - there are no ads for your topic, and Google displays default ads for the site. big_smile

7. Christoph Reilly profile image70
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

What I find interesting is situations (like recently Brainstormers hub regarding his wife, the dog, and something else) where Google deems the content (written, mind you, not visual) inappropriate, they pull all ads from the hub, but then they turn around and post their highly questionable ads anywhere however inappropriate, if they so desire. I have seen hebs with ads for gay dating sites. Now thats bad.

8. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

What I believe is happening is that google can (or chooses) to only hold the data in memory it needs to target ads for a finite number of pages which is less than all the pages on which adsense is installed.  There is nothing more important to them than serving the ads quickly.  Therefore, on pages that aren't stored in the (fast to access) in memory cache, they serve some manor of "site targeted ads", meaning the ads are targeted to whatever topics on the site (ie. hubpages.com) that are some combination of, 1) getting the most traffic, 2) getting the best click through rate, or 3) making the most money.  At the same time they'll bring the data they need to target ads for that page into the cache (either from disk or by crawling the page).   In order to target the ads well on the highest percentage of pages they can, their cache is most likely an LRU (least recently used) cache.  This means that when they run out of space (which is all the time), they kick out the data for the page that hasn't been used in the longest time.

So, how does this apply to you?  When you go through all of your hubs checking the ads, I suspect many of them haven't been viewed by anyone in quite a while (hours, or even days).  On those hubs, google won't have the data it needs in the cache, so they won't serve well targeted ads.  If you view the same hub again in a couple of minutes, it will likely be in the cache and they will show targeted ads.

I'm probably simplifying things a bit, but at the end of the day Google's goal is to make as much money as they can.   The strategy I've outlined will do a reasonable job of serving well targeted ads to the largest percentage of pages, which will put them well on the way to satisfying that goal.

If there is something we could do to get well targeted ads for every page on HubPages, we would certainly do it.

1. Lissie profile image77
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right: I checked a unpopular hub of mine which was showing pakistani girls on a hub about blogging and WordPress I then returned to it and hit reload a couple of itmes: voila relevant ads and I could see the status bar checking yieldbuild and  adsense before the reload complated

9. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Aha! That's interesting, thanks Paul smile

And does you not touching on ad-start and ad-end  means you don't think they are worth mentioning?

10. Pat Merewether profile image61

Thanks so much for your input everyone - i do appreciate it.  I think you may be right, Misha.  as I mentioned, some of my older articles did have relevent ads at one time and that's why i was so surprised and shocked they'd been replaced by the bikini ones (I have nothing against young, attractive girls in bikinis - I used to be one myself !)

Also, I got a (kinda snarky) email from someone here saying they'd checked my ads and there were no inappropriate ones in my articles.  I'd sent the link to each artcile to the 'help' site, so either that or my clicking on mine got things stratightened out.

I wouldn't have been nearly as upset if i hadn't gotten a call from my granddaughter wanting to know what 'sexy girls in bikinis' had to do with Webkinz!  geeeeez!

One day i made about $1.28 and wonder if I didn't sell a filipina bride?  yikes.

11. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

@ Pat - Lol, that might explain how I made £2.79 on one click the other day, just found one of my hubs has a single Muslim advert on it, plus slightly worrying a site advertising 17 yr old Indian girl pictures! Very worried about that, why is Google advertising that!!

12. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

I still find it hilarious! There will be a hub of about something, say "How to make apple pies" and in the middle of the page is a Big Banner with text almost taking up the whole thing saying nothing but:

ARAB SINGLES

~thranax~

13. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

FOFL @  thranax

14. Pat Merewether profile image61

eeek!  This is one of those 'I'd Laugh if i weren't crying' situations.

I still have a few of those ads here and there, but at least they aren't everywhere!

1. thranax profile image71
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

smile

~thranax~

15. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Dear Paul,

Adult contents are not allowed in hubpages. Why adult ads?

Jyoti Kothari

It is a problem, although I personally don't have a problem, I even find it humorous.

~thranax~

1. SweetiePie profile image80
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It is humorous.  Maybe people worry about the advertising too much I think smile.

Kids have the discovery channel and animal planet don't they? I'm sure they know everything at an early age-or at least enough. I mean, come on I was at an old friends house and he has an Elementary School up the street from him, and I sure love comedy, well picture a little African American kid with a backpack and a big stuffed jacket, short curly hair on a cell phone (yes a cell phone in like 3-5th grade!) and this is exactly one of the things I heard:

"So what b***h, I got this Sh*% down my ni&^#$! You know that b*&^#^ is a crazy ho!"

I went into the house and fell on the floor because I was laughing so much! I could hear him for about 5 minutes and that wasn't even half a minute, you can imagine how hard it was to not laugh. I think I bleed because I bit my tongue so hard!

100% True story, I can't make that up!

~thranax~

1. Hope Alexander profile image69
            Hope Alexanderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Something tells me he didn't pick that up from Animal Planet....

2. SweetiePie profile image80
            SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I used to teach, so I know what you mean.  I was surprised by some notes even eight year olds wrote, and some of them obviously know more about the facts of life than adults would think.  Of course their information is skewed by TV shows and the Internet, which means parents should talk to their kids about these things.

16. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

What is ridiculous?

Jyoti Kothari

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)