Ability to Disable RSS Feed on Profile Page

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

For people who never use RSS feeds for any reason, I reckon it would be worth giving them the option of disabling the feature.

RSS feeds make it too easy for content to be stolen.

2. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Stolen content? Explain.

Last time I checked, an RSS Feed doesn't allow any such thing. It does allow people to subscribe to what you publish. RSS Feeds only produce very little of a hubs information, so I don't see how it could be stolen content.

3. Will Apse profile image87

You want to steal good content? Subscribe to the RSS feeds of writers in the desired area. Pick out what you want.

Frankly, I don't even want fragments of my pages appearing anywhere else.

1. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Will, you're a little short-sighted on the usage of RSS Feeds. Mostly RSS Feeds are for backlinking and nothing more. Thinking that someone is going to steal your articles is just paranoia, especially from an RSS Feed.

Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

'Mostly RSS Feeds are for backlinking.'

This means that most RSS feeds are for subverting the integrity of Google search?

Well, how could that be a problem?

Untrue. It has nothing to do with subverting the integrity of Google search. It has to do with backlinking to other locations. Backlinks are part of natural SEO.

If a person wants to link to your hub from some location, it creates a backlink. If they want to subscribe to your writing, so they can be updated with things that you write about then the RSS Feed fulfills that purpose.
          It's not a problem. It's helpful.

'Backlinks are part of natural SEO.'

Genuine backlinks, freely given, are a great boost for a page. The kind of SEO you are talking about is dinosaur SEO. Google is determined to send the dinosaurs off to the bone pits.

I don't want to to buried by a feature I don't need and will never use.

And someone subscribing to your RSS Feed is done so freely of their own choice.....meaning that it creates a genuine backlink. What are you missing? Or don't understand?
              BS.
              It's NOT YOU USING IT. DUH!

Anyone can click that RSS button. I am not silly enough to submit my RSS feeds to dubious aggregators but I can't control who does.

Also, what is it about SEO fiends that makes them so offensive?

What makes you think that someone would submit your RSS Feed anywhere? Again, paranoia.

It is about people subscribing to your RSS Feed and then posting a widget on their blog/website, so they can be updated. Thus, creating a backlink.

4. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I guess an RSS feed is a good way for someone to programmatically pull content. It's a neat and clean list of recent content that's regularly updated. If I were to steal content, that's what I would consider writing a script around. Not that I condone stealing of content.

That said, there are tons of ways to do it, feeds are just a drop in the bucket.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I believe you can pick up an RSS feed and drop it straight into a blog.  It's called autoblogging.  There are tons of shameless adverts for this on the web.

Grab other people's content from RSS feeds, automatically modify it to get round copied content problems, and post it to your blog.

Set up once and forget.  Add in a backlink generator and maybe some other 'great' techniques.

What chance does an amateur writer have against this kind of thing?

Speaking for myself - it disgusts me.

The harder Google goes after scraped content, the more likely RSS users are likely to suffer in the SERPs.

6. Will Apse profile image87

RSS feeds were designed for syndicating articles. In an age when Google has said it never wants to come across two copies of any page (or else!) you have to wonder if they are really worth having.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A similar thought has occurred to me about Google and the "no-two-copies" thing when I've seen my own Hubs on search pages, with stuff like "best HubPages" and "best of HubPages" that (automatic or otherwise) posts tons of ad-surrounded links to "zillions" of Hubs (all different authors, and not necessarily with a lot of lines with them, but duplicate nonetheless). 

AND, if Google doesn't dislike that aspect of it, what about the fact that a person gets three versions of the same Hub (but if he clicks on two of them he's not getting straight to a decent looking Hub first, but is instead brought to one of those ad-loaded sites, which he has to first see (and be aggravated by) and then click to get to what he thought he was going to get to in the first place).

I mean, if Google doesn't dislike it from the duplicate-content standpoint, what about the crap-looking content and/or aggravate-the-searcher standpoint????  Or what about the "three-of-the-same-things-on-the-search-page standpoint??  Or how about the "doorway-page" thing, or the "manipulating-the-search-engines" thing?  And is there a "low-quality link" thing (yet)??  Or, how about the "interupting-the-chances-of-getting-a-view (and maybe an ad click on the Hub) thing??

Why are the sites (and blogs, sometimes put together by Hubbers, themselves) still up, and are they just fine????    (Or are these "wonderful", albeit crap-looking, sites getting us traffic for which we should all be eternally grateful???)

Hard to disagree with any of this. Low quality links. Duplicates. Who needs it?

7. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 12 years ago

People will steal content regardless of having an RSS feed disabled or not, there are other means to gather up content online using scripts and so on...

I see no reason to make it any easier than it otherwise is. Why would anyone?

For those who want to shunt their content around the net, regardless of the damage it does, fine. I just want my RSS feeds disabled. You can do what you like with yours.

8. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

@Cagsil and @Waynet (at least, but not exclusively): What is the proper use of RSS? My only experience with it was through the RSS capsules. Jason--I believe it was, and in another recent thread where it was not the main topic--said that most people don't really know how to use RSS capsules/feeds properly.

I've been going through my hubs and checking "do not display" on any existing RSS capsules to avoid hurting the hubs. Once I know the "correct" way to use RSS, I may turn some of them back on, perhaps with editing. Instead of using RSS capsules to point to my own eclectic collection of hubs, I had been trying to keep my RSS feed relevant to the topic, e.g. this in a hub on cancer: //topics/health/cancer/2177/hot?rss

9. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 12 years ago

The proper use of RSS feeds has always been to show some related content or to provide a way to share a feed on a sites content that others can subscribe to, but the problem is that RSS feeds can be classified as duplicate content too which can also be not good.

I'm still undecided about the use of RSS feeds as there are lots of other  factors that can reduce a pages rank or traffic through the search engines.

10. Teddletonmr profile image69
    Teddletonmrposted 12 years ago

For what it is worth, I have removed all RSS feeds from many of my hubs and the traffic to them has fallen like a stone. 60-70% each week.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)