Frustrated and Confused

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. sara856 profile image58
    sara856posted 12 years ago

I joined hubpages quite a while ago, and posted a few hubs, maybe six or seven. But I never got any traffic at all. I had like three hits the first two days and then they sat there for a weeks and not a single hit. SO I gave up and left. Now I keep hearing about how great hubpages is and what a great place to earn money, and I am wondering what I did wrong. How do people get traffic to their hubs? I took all of my hubs down because I got discouraged. There didn't seem to be any point in keeping them up. I moved over to Squiddo, but I hate their payment system. There its hard to earn. Everything goes into a big pool and then you are paid a portion based on rank. So most of the time you get no money at all. For all that work, and it doesn't pay by hits and you can't put adsense on it. Just a rip off. It's a fun site but no chance to earn.

Is it normal to have very little traffic in the beginning? Was I just writing about the wrong things? I did join triond and I am having much more luck there, just joined three days ago and already have 30 cents (I know, not big money,but they pay when you get to 50) and I really want to do hubpages I love the way the hubs are so easy to write and set up. But I feel so confused that I am doing so poorly here. I know I should post some more hubs, but it feels like a waste of time.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is very normal not to have any traffic in the beginning. It took me 9 months to reach payout. You have to write a lot of good quality hubs to start earning a good amount of money.

2. Cogerson profile image77
      Cogersonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just sent you some URL submission sites to your hub page email...that should help Bing, Yahoo and Google help find your article.....you should start writing some new stuff....good luck.

sara856posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. :-) I will check out your hubs when i get a chance.

3. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the beginning traffic is slow. A tip I learned from other hubbers over 3 years ago, was not to over stuff your key words. Planting them randomly in your hubs. Also adding the summary to each hub, assist in drawing traffic. I have also back linked my work on other writing sites. Look at the length of your hubs and revise them. Place them back up and let all of us take a look at them, it is the best way to get a critique on what can be done to improve the hub. smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good to know. Thanks. smile

2. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 12 years ago

It does take some time to get Google traffic and start earning money..Effective keyword research and back linking is what ultimately brings in the traffic. I did not earn anything for six months, I did not have adsense. With a combination of Adsense and HP it is much easier to earn.. keep writing, I believe it take time for your hubs to surface to the top of the searches, but good hubs eventually do.. don't give up yet.

3. pinkytoky profile image73
    pinkytokyposted 12 years ago

Hi sara856, have you done any SEO such as URL submissions? During my first month with HubPages, the only traffic I got was from other hubbers. It was only after I started URL submissions that I began to see outside traffic.  There are quite a number of free submission sites available.

4. blessingsforlife profile image59
    blessingsforlifeposted 12 years ago

Learn some basic SEO and apply it to your hubs. You can outsource the SEO job if you have extra money. It will not guarantee clicks but it will increase your pageview in a short span of time.

I know that SEO stands for serach engine opitmization, does that mean including certain key words, or something else? I'm not sure.

5. sara856 profile image58
    sara856posted 12 years ago

What is an URL submission?

6. pinkytoky profile image73
    pinkytokyposted 12 years ago

URL submission means submitting your site to the search engines.  There are both free and paid submission services available.  The free service does not guarantee inclusion by the search engines.

1. profile image0
      Multimanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also, pinging whenever you make changes to a site is good, and pinging any rss feeds you have or other blogs that have links back to your hubpages helps as well.

What is pinging? Sorry I'm so dumb.

7. profile image0
    Web Addictposted 12 years ago

Learned a lot from this thread. Thank you all very much for your insights.

8. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Patience,

That is your number one item to achieve, if you don't have any, you will not get anywhere on Squidoo, Hubpages, Triond, Webanswers, Infobarrel, Shetoldme, Wizzley, Articles base, Ezine Articles or any other open platform publishing site.

It had taken me 13 weeks to get a TOTAL of 1,000 views across all my hubs. Now 13 months on, and 77 Hubs later for a total of 90 hubs, I get 1,000 views a week minimum. Next stop, will be 1,000 a day.

Have a look around the site, click on the Help button and read all the information in The Learning Centre, there is lots there so dont try and read it, and watch all the videos in one hit.

Search in the forums as most likely any current question you have, has been asked a few times and will be in here.

Patience, your looking at 1-3 years before your Hubs will fully mature and get the love, readership and financial returns you seek.

Welcome to HubPages Sara smile

Thank you so much for all your advice. I will definitely try and post a few more hubs. I work up with a bad cold today, so I'll probably take it easy, but I think I'll  try another hub later today or tomorrow.

9. iskra1916 profile image60
    iskra1916posted 12 years ago

Just keep writing and everything will work out traffic-wise.
    Hubpages can be frustrating at first, it takes mistakes to learn but it is worthwhile. I started on hubpages after my husband's death and it really pulled me out of a hole when I needed it.

It takes time to learn.
    good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)