jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

A hub advertising their services.

1. Cardisa profile image92
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

I just saw a hub that is purely an advert. I have gone through the help and learning centers trying to find out if this is allowed. There is no useful info on the hub, there are phone numbers to call and they tell exactly what their business is about. The hub is not a review either, it is obvious that the hubber is offering their services (translation services) through Hubpages.

I want to know if this kind of hub is allowed. I swear I read somewhere that these hubs are not allowed on HP.

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
      Just Ask Susanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You can flag it if you feel it is an inappropriate hub.

Cardisaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The thing is, I am not so sure. The hub is purely advertisement for their services.

I need to be sure before flagging. I wouldn't want someone to flag me unnecessarily.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Flagging just lets the moderators know that they need to take a look at a Hub to make sure it is okay or not.  If the Hub is okay, nothing happens.  If the Hub is in violation of the rules, then something happens.

And if you read the FAQ, it quite clearly and plainly says that purely promotional Hubs are not allowed.

Yes I saw that, but I still wasn't sure because there are no affiliate links.

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly why things need to be flagged, so that the moderators can decide.

Did that. Thanks!

felt weird    smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image92
            Randy Godwinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No harm no foul, Cardisa.  I often add the comment "not sure about this one, you make the call!"  No one is aware of who flagged the hub and if it is okay, you've caused them no harm.  smile

3. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

I have always flagged such hubs as being over-promotional.

In the notes for that flag it says: "More than 2 links to a single site, purely promotional, or teasers that require you to follow a link to read the full story."

A hub with no useful information, which is obviously inviting people to contact the hub author with respect to an offered services fits under "purely promotional" as far as I'm concerned.

I'm amused it concerns a translation service. There are a number of dedicated web sites on the web where translators can advertise, and that is where huge numbers of clients go to search for translators and/or post jobs for open bidding.

Just one of those sites has brought me in so many clients, I cannot accept all the work they offer, and new clients are still contacting me from that site every week. There is no way a solitary advertising hub could ever match that.

@Randy, thanks. I think I did the right thing. We need HP to remain high quality and good with Google.  I think hubs such as that will affect all of us in the long run.

@Writeangel.  The hub did have contact information for services offered by the hubber. I placed a note with the flag to say the hub is purely an advert and that it was not useful or informative to the reader.

4. mary615 profile image95
    mary615posted 6 years ago

I enjoy "hopping the hubs" to read them, and I see lots of Hubs where the writer is clearly advertising their business.  I always flag them.  If I wanted to see a commercial, I'd turn on the TV.  This should be a place for quality original work, I think.

I agree with you 100%

working