Updating Javascript Library - new traffic graphs

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (65 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Hi everyone,

We've been involved in moving our Javascript library from 1.5 (released in January 2007) to 1.7, which should make the site run more efficiently in general. We've been testing on our staff accounts for the last few weeks in order to catch and fix bugs before we roll it out to Hubbers.

We've now rolled it out to approx 20% of Hubbers. You'll know if your account has been moved if you take a look at a Hub's traffic graph, and the aesthetic treatment is different, like this (you can click to see the full-sized version):

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5670359_f248.jpg

If you have been moved to 1.7, and you are seeing any bugs on the site, please report it in this thread. Please include the following information in your report, so we can reproduce the error on our end and fix it:

1) what computer you're using (Mac or PC, and which version of OS you're using, like Snow Leopard for Mac, or Windows 7)
    2) what browser and version you're using (you can find the browser version by clicking on "About (Browser)" in one of the menus
    3) exactly what bug you're seeing. The more information you can provide here, the better.

Thanks!

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't been changed over yet, but your pic looks nice.

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Weird - I saw it a day or two ago - but now it's gone!

3. profile image52
      Ratanak Ouposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that it is good for what you are telling on this forum; however, I don't know where I can check this traffic. Anyone can tell me?

1. AEvans profile image74
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Go to My Account then Click on anyone of your hubs that are already published. Next to your edit button is the stats button. Click on that and then click on Total. You will see your Stats. smile

1. profile image52
          Ratanak Ouposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much, AEvan! I have never known it before.

4. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe I'm one of the 20% - Wow!!. I thought I had some problems as the graph was looking diff - until i read this :-)

5. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jason,

Ok here goes

1- Mac OS X 10.6.8 Leopard
      2- Firefox 3.6.23
      3- In the graph legend on the bottom where it says hubpages/com  then wavegirl.hubpages.com then there is a 1/2 with a blue arrow on the right and that looks clickable - but its not. If you click nothing happens. I am only seeing this on the latest 2 published hubs.

If you want a snap shot of it let me know. . other than that all looks great.

1. lobobrandon profile image89

Yes I noticed the exact same thing on my hub and then the rest nothing. Here's the snapshot of what it looks like

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5676167.jpg

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
          wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lobobrandon
          yep thats it... are you seeing these on just recently published hubs?

Yes just the ones I published recently ie. upto 3 days old.
            But 1 hub of mine was unbublished for no fault of mine, i just replied to the mail telling them to please go through it again - it was re-published :-)
            So even that hub's got it

2. Jason Menayan profile image61
        Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for reporting this, wavegirl22, and lobobrandon, for providing a screenshot.

I do see that on your most recent Hub - I will report this to engineering. Thanks again! smile

Glad to help :-)

6. Julz09 profile image60
      Julz09posted 12 years agoin reply to this

its cool, and looks rather great! big_smile

7. lobobrandon profile image89

I don't know if any one else has this problem or if this problem has been reported. But my newest hub is now 3 days old and it still doesn't have a graph.  I thought the first day maybe as no data is collected - no graph. But 3 days on and nothing!!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5706578_f248.jpg

2. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 12 years ago

dont think i got it yet jason taking ages to load if it loads at all.....jimmy

Might be a temporary slowdown associated with the rollout. It looks like your account wasn't one that has been migrated yet, Jimmy. If graphs still don't load in a while, please let me know.

3. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 12 years ago

thanks jason took around 3 mins for it to load lol but hopefully the new one will be quicker, take care jason....jimmy

4. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

Mine isn't rolled over yet but I'll let you know if I find any bugs when it is.

I like that new graph in the example. Seems to show more detail.

5. Ms Chievous profile image67
    Ms Chievousposted 12 years ago

Maybe this is the reason I have had an increase in traffic?

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had a big jump today also..  I'll find out where it came from tomorrow.

1. prairieprincess profile image92
        prairieprincessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had a big jump today, too. I checked Analytics and much of it came from direct Traffic. Could this be something to do with HP staff testing out this new product? Or could it be "real" traffic?

6. Jason Menayan profile image61

Nope, I'm pretty sure this change had nothing to do with any traffic fluctuations, but I'm glad to hear your traffic is up and hope it continues! smile

1. prairieprincess profile image92
      prairieprincessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey thanks! I was hopeful but a bit nervous! smile

7. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

This new traffic thingy looks great and easier to read. I love the look and anxiously await mine.

8. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I will report to you if there are any bugs. However I have not seen any crawling through yet. smile

9. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I just checked my hubs and the new stats graphics look really cool.  I have not noticed any bugs, but I will report if I came across any.

10. CyclingFitness profile image88
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

Looks fantastic for my hubs so far- very impressive.

I haven't seen a traffic spike myself in the last 24 hours or so.

Only potential 'bug' I have is one graph for a hub where the vertical axis goes up to 80 despite max daily views being 61. Not sure you'd class it as a bug however

It's probably not a bug. I'm guessing that if you have a daily view count of over 60, then it shows the next gridline.

11. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I've no idea if I've been moved or not. Those graphs take so long to load, that I rarely manage to see them because most of the time my browser just stops trying after some minutes.

12. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 12 years ago

The new traffic graphs look more pretty. I just looked at one of my hubs...

13. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years ago

Looks like I'm part of the approx. 20%... So far, no bugs to report. Looks great!

14. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

Jason,

I examined the new graphs on a few of my hubs. I understand they are more accurate and maybe faster loading. But the old graphs used have the color fill entirely under the line to indicate each source (Hubpages, google, yahoo, ask, etc.) and that made the source stand out clearly. The new graph just uses color coding on the line itself, with unrelated fill colors under the lines. That makes the source of the traffic not so obvious as in the old graph. 

If the fill color was supposed to represent the source, then this is a bug because they don't match the color code examples at the bottom.

I tested this with Firefox 7.0.1, IE 8, Safari 5.0.1 and Chrome 14.0.835.202. They all look the same. I'm using a PC with Windows XP.

Hmmm...that shouldn't be happening. It should be like the example graph I posted: the lines and the areas beneath them should match in color, and they should match what's in the key below.

Is there a way for you to take a screenshot so I can see what you're seeing? I'll email you now so you have my address.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jason, I just replied to your email with a screen shot sample.

2. rmcrayne profile image89
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm seeing what Glenn describes I think, but I wouldn't say the colors are totally unrelated.  I see an orchid/fuscia-like color under a burgandy line for other, a really pale green under a dark green line, light blue under dark blue line.  I see the same thing in your example Jason. 

PC, Windows 7, Internet Explorer.

15. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 12 years ago

I dont like the look of it. The traffic one under "My Profile" isnt as detailed and the way it shows Hubs being posted is higher then the graph line itself.

Overall it does load much faster. I guess ill just get used to the new look...

~thranax~

16. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

All seems to be loading quickly on my pages, takes about 25 seconds max, Looks good at first glance, but need to spend more time examining it to assess it fully smile

17. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

Hi, I can't write in my hub comment box, and my stats don't work either.
    I am using Windows Vista pc and just explorer.
    Any ideas? thanks!

18. Nell Rose profile image91

Just discovered that I can't leave any comments to anybody else either! help!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Try downloading Firefox or Chrome instead and see if this solves the problem Nell. It only takes a minute or two and Firefox works best with HP anyway.

1. Nell Rose profile image91
        Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, thanks I will give it a go tomorrow as I am off to bed now, but hopefully the hubstaff will sort it out, but if not I will give it a try, thanks I see I am not the only one still up! ha ha

LOL, this is early for me Nell, it is only 02.25am.
          Good Luck for tomorrow smile

1. Nell Rose profile image91
            Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes you are right, I may slog it out until 3 am yet, I must be getting soft! lol

I said good luck for tomorrow, but I guess I should have said 'good luck for later today' really. I just live in the wrong hours I guess. Most nights lately I have not been turning in until after 05.00am, but then again, I don't have a day job right now, only my Internet stuff, which isn't enough to survive off on its own right now sad

19. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

nice, loads fine and looks great. Thanks.

20. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

It's easier to read the dates, which I like.  Very seamless and tidy design.  Thumbs up!

21. Thriller profile image60
    Thrillerposted 12 years ago

Hi Jason,

I am seeing some bugs with the new graph. When it is about to load the browser tab freezes and the view is stuck in Daily Views. I can't access the monthly, weekly or All time views.

Browser: Firefox 7.0.1

Hi Thriller,

Could you share which Hub you were seeing this on? Did the same thing happen when you tried another browser?

1. profile image0
        ThomasRydderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jason...I'm also having problems, as of this morning. I cannot comment on a hub, list it as "funny", ect., or rate it up. the last two actions don't do anything, and any comments just disappear. Also, my stats buttons don't work. I'm on IE 8, Windows XP..thanks!!

Thomas - Robin has already filed a bug about this for you. Thank you for reporting this!

1. profile image0
            ThomasRydderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thank you smile

22. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I wondered why the graph was different...lol

23. Jason Menayan profile image61

wavegirl22 & lobobrandon: Paul Deeds has fixed that traffic graph problem. Let me know if you're still seeing it!

Hi Jason it looks great now :-) Thanks to you and Paul its fixed.
      Great work

24. Nell Rose profile image91

Not working again. I can't post a comment, or use the share button, getting a bit worried about it now.

Nell,

Engineering is working on this problem. In the meantime, is it possible to try using another browser? You might consider either Firefox or Chrome, both of which are free (Safari if you're on a Mac should work, too).

25. Nell Rose profile image91

It seems to be okay at the moment, thanks!

26. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

The new graph looks great.  I also had a problem posting replies to comments late last night and earlier today but that seems to have been resolved.  Thanks!

27. profile image52
    retronposted 12 years ago

All the interaction with the JavaScript Graph Builder library takes place inside the body of your HTML document, which lets you place the graph anywhere you want among regular HTML content. Once you decide where in the page you want the graph to appear, add the following lines of code:
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">
    var g = new Graph(400,300);
    </SCRIPT>
    This calls the Graph object constructor function, which creates a new Graph object that you can use to set attributes of your graph before you build it. By calling the constructor function, you've already set two properties. The first argument specifies the width (in pixels) of the graph, and the second specifies the height. The Graph object above has a width of 400 pixels and a height of 300 pixels.
    Once the Graph object has been created, you can set the style of the graph (more on that later) and add the data. The data is the actual information you wish to plot. Because of the limitations of HTML, it would be extremely difficult to graph a line graph or a pie chart. Therefore, the Graph Builder library builds only bar graphs. The data that you are entering are y-values in the order they appear in the graph (from left to right). The x-values will be assigned automatically, determined by the order the data is entered and the x-scale definition (see the Using Scales section).

28. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

PC, Windows 7, Firefox 7.0.1

Loaded quite quickly - looks great - just like your picture!

29. Mekenzie profile image77
    Mekenzieposted 12 years ago

Works GREAT!  Thank you for another great tool!

30. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Just a small glitch that you may be able to fix, I recently published 2 hubs that I saved unpublished several months ago as I needed to write some related pages also..

The traffic graphs for these hubs start when I first saved them, not when I published them - so they are a bit nonsense to look at - a flat zero for months and then a peak about 2mm wide - not much help as a graph..

This is how its supposed to be. It starts tracking from the time u create the hub and not publish it

1. LeanMan profile image80
        LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No point tracking traffic to a hub that is not published, just makes the graph difficult to see later when you do publish it...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)