A Backlinking Opportunity for Hubbers (experimental)

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (66 posts)
  1. quotations profile image86
    quotationsposted 12 years ago

Hello Fellow Hubbers -

A few weeks ago I posted a question to the forums asking whether any hubbers had used Reddit.com to create backlinks. Most people reported negative experiences, saying that the reddit community had reacted badly to their attempts at self promotion.

It occurs to me that the problem is trying to post links in the wrong reddit categories or subreddits.

So I have come up with (maybe) a solution. In my capacity as a reddit moderator (okay, anyone can do it) I have created a subreddit dedicated to promoting hubs. The idea is that hubbers can post links and descriptions of their hubs. Hopefully the reddit pages will be crawled and create backlinks to our hubs.

The subreddit is in need of contributors and links so I invite all my fellow hubbers to post links to their hubs and a short description of the hub.

The address is: http://www.reddit.com/r/thehubhub/

Don't be shy, someone has to be first to post a link.

1. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Alright! I'll check it out! Thank you! smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image58
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I am reddit illiterate.

Have they been hacked?

I did a goggle search for reddit and got this:

"FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU- - Reddit"

Multiple entries at top of page. And it's the reddit homepage entry. I did not click it.

quotationsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This link works for me:

http://www.reddit.com/r/thehubhub/

Please let me know if there is a problem. I may not have worked out all the kinks yet.

3. paradigmsearch profile image58

Something is going on.

Google page has already changed, but there is still one of the "ffffuuuu"

Your 4 years here assures me this has nothing to do with your link. This is something else entirely.

4. paradigmsearch profile image58

Unless someone knows for sure otherwise, my guess is someone is messing with reddit. I will defer for now, but will definitely revisit after they get the situation cleaned up.

5. paradigmsearch profile image58

And if this "ffffffffuuuuuuuuuu" stuff is normal for them, I guarantee you that I'm not the first person that's been scared off by it. Hacker paranoia is rampant. And I would consider it an extremely poor Sales & Marketing gimmick. And it's tacky.

6. paradigmsearch profile image58

Plus, the last time I checked them out (many months ago), that stuff wasn't there.

7. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

paradigm, I didn't have any problems when I placed my links there. I just registered and wah la I added two links. smile I believe it is fine he trying to assist us. smile Robert is reputable he really is. smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image58
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are those google homepage entries normal for reddit?

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Robert is an attorney in real life. He is as normal as you and me. He isn't trying to pull the wool over our eyes. He could be disbarred and I believe he will not ever let that happen. smile There page looks odd and unusual but they have been around for awhile. smile

Thanks AEvans. And congratulations on being the first hubber to post a link to their hubs. I hope that this exercise in self-promotion works as planned.

I'm not saying Robert isn't normal!!!

I'm concerned about the current entries on the Google homepage.

Are the "ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu"'s that are posted there reddit's doing or a hacker's doing?

And are you viewing this thread in chronological mode? (just checking) smile

Now I see it. What you are seeing is actually a link to one of the more popular sections on reddit which is entitled "fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu"  The moderator says that it is a subreddit dedicated to "creating and sharing rage comics." It has 279,178 followers. Rage comics are not very funny in my opinion, but they are a sort of internet meme these days. You can google "rage comics" to find out more.

There is nothing wrong. This is the actual title of one of reddit's sections. Our section dedicated to hubbers so far has no where near as many readers, but who knows if enough hubbers sign up we might make it to the top of the google search results.

I believe you will. smile

OK.

If I ran across that in a subpage, it wouldn't scare me, I'd be fine with it, I'd even visit it. big_smile

But a first time visitor seeing that on the goggle frontpage sitemap of a reputable name like reddit, I can't believe I'd be the only one scared off because of wondering if hackers were messing with reddit.

I will send reddit's Sales & Marketing my bill for these consultation services. big_smile

2. AEvans profile image70

Hey Fung Gu, I'm Sandra Dee! lololo! big_smile What would we do without you? smile

I don't dispute that. smile

Here is there actual link  http://www.reddit.com/  with any place there are pros and cons. I added two of my hubs to his comments box. What the heck maybe it will bring in more traffic. smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image58

I went there. I didn't see your links. Just the original 2 starting the thread.

I am working on them. smile

Found Them!

"[–]JuliannaEvans 1 point 39 minutes ago"
        "I will be the first to get my feet wet. I am not worried and what the heck we will see what happens..."

Lololo! big_smile Yes my feet are wet and now I have to write summaries and add more hubs. I even earned a pacifier for being a newbie! I do have to say that is funny! lololo! big_smile

Just an fyi. Your second hub didn't completely hyperlink. I thought you would want to know. smile

I will go and fix. Thank you smile

We get pacifiers!?! Maybe I will sign up now instead of later. I'll go see how much of a project that is... big_smile

8. quotations profile image86
    quotationsposted 12 years ago

@paradigmsearch - not sure why you are getting these strange results when you google reddit.com. I am not getting anything unusual and their site is functioning fine for me. You can visit their main page at reddit.com

Here's what I'm seeing. DON'T CLICK THE COPY/PASTED LINKS

reddit: the front page of the internet
      www.reddit.com/
      User-generated news links. Votes promote stories to the front page.
      8,098 people +1'd this
      fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu
      www.reddit.com/.../fffffffuuuuuuuu...
      reddit:{name}: find things ...
      Pics
      www.reddit.com/r/pics/
      A place to share genuinely ...
      Programming
      www.reddit.com/.../programming/
      reddit:{name}: find things ...

Gonewild
      www.reddit.com/r/gonewild
      Verification is here! Read all ...
      Gaming
      www.reddit.com/r/gaming/
      A subreddit for anything ...
      Funny
      www.reddit.com/r/funny/
      DON'T PUT THE FREAKING ...

I am not getting that either and I use Chrome. That is strange. Yes I am viewing it chronologically, but I am not getting what you are getting when you Google search them. I would recommend that you log out of your computer and go back in. I don't know who your provider is but I am not having any problems here. smile

2. I am DB Cooper profile image62
        I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reddit veteran here (5+ years). You're seeing Google's listing for Reddit, which as a popular community site gets both a mainpage listing along with sublistings for multiple popular pages within the site. The links you are posting are called subreddits, and any Redditor can make one, just as quoatations noted in the post that started this thread.

Here's a quick rundown of the subreddits you listed, which are obviously among the most popular (tens of thousands of subscribers):
        fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu - Rage comics. Very popular on Reddit. There are many memes (if you don't know what that is, look it up) that are also connected to rage comics.
        pics - Pictures, obviously. This a very broad subreddit for user-submitted pictures. At the moment, it's mostly pictures of Halloween costumes. That will obviously change tomorrow.
        Programming - Many Redditors, especially those who have been around for a long time, work in IT and have an interest in programming languages.
        Gonewild - This is pictures of people (mostly women) flashing their bare chests, for the most part. It's obviously NSFW (not safe for work).
        Gaming - For video game topics.
        Funny - Mostly funny pictures or videos. Also obscene joke threads from time to time.

I'm really not sure how much a link on a random subreddit with few followers is worth. Reddit front page links get linked to by blogs and various copycat sites around the web, but the front page of a subreddit is not the same thing as the front page of Reddit, especially when that subreddit isn't popular.

As I've said before, the Reddit community is very hostile toward suspected spammers and basically any new members who are posting links. While there's little they can do to stop a subreddit that they don't moderate, they can see that subreddit and track who posts there. They won't worry much about one subreddit, since very few people will see it anyway, but I would strongly advise against submitting links on other parts of the site unless you're absolutely sure your link adds something of value and interest that the average internet addict hasn't seen before.

Thanks for your insight. As I said this is an experiment. I don't think that it will generate click thru traffic, but it may add some PR value by way of backlinking. This way at least we won't get attacked by the larger Reddit community for posting links to hubs.

If you are concerned about the rest of the reddit community noting what you post, feel free to post your hub links using a throw away account. Reddit does not prevent you from having several aliases, just like Hubpages.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image62
            I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the PR boost is going to be limited by the links being nofollow, but I suppose it won't hurt anything.

Reddit actually has an active SEO subreddit, with plenty of excellent information about getting your website seen by more people. Unlike most other sites offering SEO advice, the Reddit community weeds out most of the hustlers and salesmen and downvotes their comments and submissions into oblivion, so only the valuable and interesting stuff survives.

9. paradigmsearch profile image58

Meanwhile, I shall now click you hubhub link (famous last words). big_smile

Trust me ....

I do. smile

2. AEvans profile image70

You are a complete nut! lolololo! big_smile

You go girl! lol

10. paradigmsearch profile image58

Haven't found my pacifier yet...

You are going to get one. It is coming. smile

I discovered the pacifier. And the games. That place could turn into Time Kill Central real fast... I'm gonna have to watch that.

Me too. I noticed the same thing. sad

2. quotations profile image86

Reddit is a real time killer and seems to have an endless number of communities (subreddits). No one seems to know how many there are. Just hit the "random" button on the very top left hand corner of the screen and start exploring all that there is to reddit.

11. JEDIJESSICUH profile image77
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 12 years ago

I have never really had problems with posting links on Reddit. In fact, a huge part of my traffic came from that site in the beginning. The problem with posting hubs to a hub dub-Reddit is that only HubPage readers will see and care. If you take the time to find the right sub-Reddit, you'll get more exposure.

12. paradigmsearch profile image58

Submitted my first link. It's not showing everywhere yet. Needs to be moderated? If so, I'm fine with that.smile Also, my last comment there came back with a 504 error. Also no problem. It's all still in beta testing after all. Bye for now. smile

You may not be seeing the links because I need to review and approve them, since I am the moderator of that forum. Sorry for the time lag, but it's early morning where I am. Keep on posting. I promise that I will review and approve them all.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Much appreciated. Thank you for making the effort to turn round what was a very negative experience for many. I've put in a couple of links.

Good morning all.

And an uh-oh. As previously stated, I posted a link. However, I unfortunately did not post it via the comments section as I now see we were supposed to do.

I posted my link via the big, blue, rectangular button located at the right of the screen that said "post link" or whatever. The good news is that I did also fill in the box specifying to post the link in thehubhub.

13. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Hey quotations I'm in and have posted a link!  Thanks for setting it up smile

Welcome aboard!

2. quotations profile image86

Your're welcome!

14. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

I think I submitted a couple of links, but I have no confidence that I knew what I was doing. roll

15. homesteadbound profile image80
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

I posted a couple links. I guess I did it right, because I saw CMHypno there, unless we both wound up in the wrong place! smile

1. CMHypno profile image81
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I saw you there too Homesteadbound - so it must have been the right place?????? smile

1. homesteadbound profile image80
        homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

no place like that place. smile

16. profile image52
    LYSposted 12 years ago

Let's see how this expirement works out long term. As a little known sub reddit it really is upto us to develop the popularity........

Given the number of hubbers, this could be a very large community. Let's try to get more people to sign up.

Also, if you have outside sites or articles on squidoo etc, feel free to promote those as well. The only criteria is that you have to also be a hubber.

1. profile image52
        LYSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a hubber and proud,
        a recent addition maybe but thanks quotations

2. homesteadbound profile image80

I will be putting this thread in my weekly Hub Luv Series on Sunday.

Great idea. I hope we get more people joining our project!

I posted it in the hub I published on Sunday, and have mentioned it in a couple of forums where appropriate. I am seeing some traffic from it. Should we eventually enter all our hubs?

I am glad that you are seeing some traffic from our little experiment.

I think that it might be better not to enter all of our hubs there, or at least spread out the posts over a long period. If Google sees that this page points to all hubs on a certain subdomain it might see these links as spam. I think it would actually help if hubbers could also post links to other projects of theirs such as articles they have written on squidoo. This way the page would seem more "organic" and not so obviously just meant to promote hubs (which of course it is).

1. CMHypno profile image81
                CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have posted hubs from other hubbers that I follow and a blog post or two - agree that it is best to spread it around and be diverse.  Thanks again for setting this up

17. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

If you don't mind being called a TROLL continually by liberals. On only my third post there i wrote the comment 'mind-boggling' about a tech article and got a negative response ever since.. i quit because it wasn't worth my time arguing with people who EXcessively use the word TROLL at the drop of a hat, but maybe i'll rejoin since there's an individual 'hubredditt' group.

I have not had any negative from my interactions. And I have gotten some traffic. I have not used any other sub-reddit

18. Azure11 profile image83
    Azure11posted 12 years ago

Thanks for setting this up quotations, I joined a while ago but haven't really used it much so I will for sure post my hubs in this section now :-)

1. dungeonraider profile image88
      dungeonraiderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd recommend submitting an article or two to the hubhub subreddit.  I've done so, already.  If you are going to do so, while you're there, look at the marketing strategies used by others on other subreddits.  You'd be surprised what gets voted up in computers.  You'll delight that others like what you like in the Nostalgia subreddit!  There are so many subs that every article really has a home there, it's just marketing it properly in a non-spammy way.

It took me about a month to get comfortable with Reddit.  Just go slowly, don't post a bunch of stuff all at once.  I post less than an article per day (mine or someone else's).  I do not use it as a site to draw views from the site itself.  I use it to reach DDO players, and other gamers, so I can provide them with relevant, and entertaining, material - and thereby draw quality views.  I've grown a fairly steady viewership at one of my blogs.  My Gygax article gets views from there (Nostalgia).  rpg subreddit is another I use frequently.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)