Google makes another change to its algorithm

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. cameciob profile image81
    cameciobposted 12 years ago

I fallow amid Shingal in G+ and I got this post:

"Amit Singhal  -  3:44 PM  -  Public

We just rolled out a huge improvement to our ranking system that makes Google search results really really fresh. This change improves about 35% of Google searches. Yes! You read that right -- 35%.

Official Google Blog: Giving you fresher, more recent search results"

I didn't fogure out hou to do the link to the post...
    however, it has a link to a post inBlogger as well
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/ … earch.html

It is going to be interesting, my opinion.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The posts says that it impacts 35% of the results, not improves.  I think Google would consider it a success if it improved something like 20% of the 35%, even if it made the remaining 15% worse.

1. cameciob profile image81
        cameciobposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.
        However, the post in G+ speaks about "improvement". Perhaps I should have used the quotation marks.
        But what how would these changes impact our accounts?
        Should we start making "news" like hubs. I don't know. My account is already in a deep sink. But somehow I still hope in a miracle to bring it back. Any suggestions from HP staff will be very appreciated.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
          Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My first thought is that news websites and blogs will be favored by this algorithm tweak for news, current events, and trending topics. Those sites' stated purpose is to deliver current posts, current news, the latest blah blah blah. Their site architecture and navigation is built around a filing system of documents organized by dates, oldest to most recent.

Whereas on a site like Hubpages, date-of-publish is not a prominent part of each article, nor is the website's navigation structure organized chronologically. So I would think that this might hurt one's chances of getting topical, trending, news-related hubs to the top of search results; other sites will have a slight Google edge. Not impossible, but it's likely to be a handicap for us.

Whereas evergreen topics and topics that are not so time-sensitive would not be impacted by this change at all. The definitive guide to playing cribbage is still the definitive guide to playing cribbage. The definitive guide to Britney Spear's tattoos will probably be obsolete by next week when she adds another.

1. relache profile image71
            relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The option "latest" absolutely allows you to sort someone's Hubs into chronological order, and even indicates a rough date of publication.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
              lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

relache small correction big_smile
              It is the exact date of publication if I'm not wrong smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for the heads up. I saw/concluded something from that link that is going to keep me busy for days...

2. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

if google is giving fresh information first then updating our hubs with new information should be enough?

3. dungeonraider profile image87
    dungeonraiderposted 12 years ago

Yes, once it is indexed by Google.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)