jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Just Received a Spam E-mail Dated January 1st, 1980!

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

I've heard of some servers proving a little bit slow but this is ridiculous. Surely e-mails weren't even conceived of so far back as 1980?

A few minutes ago, I received an e-mail from some company offering me breast implants at the, "Hugely discounted," price of £2,500 (!!!) and this was the date on the message.

Naturally, I did reply and thanked them, "Very much for their kind, bargain offer and for thinking of me," but told them that unfortunately I had other financial priorities at the moment... lol

The spamming issue aside, anyone any idea how such a date could appear on an e-mail?

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yep, probably the default date on older computers when the user isn't coordinated enough to put in their own.

Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ahhh... OK. Thanks paradigmsearch.

1. Greekgeek profile image95
          Greekgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hee hee. I love this particular bug. Every computer's internal clock counts from some particular start date, so if there's some kind of calendar glitch, you get whatever default date the computer thinks of as Year Zero.

UNIX: January 1, 1970 00:00:00 GMT**
          PC and DOS: January 1, 1980

Windows: January 1, 1601  (I have actually received emails from my Mom dated to the 1600s... I resisted the urge to tease her about her age.)

Macs used to be January 1, 1900, but I think now they've moved up to 2001, just to be confusing.

** you may have noticed that the forums of Squidoo and some other bulletin boards occasionally get confused and list the registration dates of members as December 31, 1969. That's the UNIX "zero date" for a server housed in an American timezone.

Wow - thanks, Greekgeek! That's what I call a full answer! smile

I have noticed what you point out before and have wondered but never knew the explanation.

Your Mom could probably confuse and even frighten quite a few people with her e-mails... lol

2. Cardisa profile image92
      Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Gordon, I found that really funny....breast implants?! lol lol

Just as well I'm not an easy sell, Cardisa... wink

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image92
    PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago

I am still waiting for my email from the future, telling me which Lottery numbers to pick! wink

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Now that's not a bad idea! In fact, I know just how to make that happen...

3. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago

Wow, that's weird.  I just received an email from Ebay telling me that a buyer tried to open a claim.  It was dated 21 months ago.

4. Richieb799 profile image60
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

Spam keeps for a very long time, I think its one of the foods you can take into bomb shelters!

5. jtyler profile image59
    jtylerposted 5 years ago

That was me.  I tried to contact you 31 years ago, but I guess it didn't get through.  Darn dial up!

1. Greekgeek profile image95
      Greekgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The hills are alive.... with the sound of Wingo wingo wing blatt bzzzzzzzzzttttt.... (warning: turn the volume down on your speakers)

Ah, those dulcet tones of our younger days.

6. melbel profile image90
    melbelposted 5 years ago

Eww... they're using a Windows email server.

working