I've been asked for permission to use my work on another site.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Terri Meredith profile image69
    Terri Meredithposted 12 years ago

I've been contacted by an organization interested in using the Agent Orange series I've recently begun.  They want to post my work on their website.  I realize if they post the entire work, it will come back on me as "duplicate content" and I don't wish to see it removed from Hubpages. The series is very detailed and took a lot of research into the subject area.  I'm not looking to rewrite such lengthy pieces, as I've still got several new pieces to finish in the series. 

What's the best way to approach and handle this issue?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would the website in question not consider a summary of the hubs and then links to each, as opposed to posting your work?

Terri Meredithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've sent them an email telling them I would get back to them with my answer regarding how we might proceed and asking about doing links.  Just sent it off so I haven't yet heard back.

Sounds good, the summaries, if you decide to go down that route could perhaps be expanded, too. Good luck with it Terri, whatever you decide.

Thanks, Hollie.  I'm not done with the series, yet.  There are at least 3 other sub-topics I've got working at the moment.  That's another reason I want to find the best way to handle it.  I'm really more interested in getting name recognition because of where my interests lie.

I've just taken a look at the hubs in question, Terri. Wow, I've bookmarked the first one to read properly later. I can see why you've been approached, the information contained there in should be out there.

2. Jason Marovich profile image82
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What kind of visibility would the site produce for your articles?  Would they credit you as author?

It's a veterans and victims site so I'm guessing the views might be pretty good.  And yes, I would get credit.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You might also look into who owns the site and are they funded. It will give you a better idea of how much to charge.

2. Jason Marovich profile image82

That's a significant amount of work you put into these, so it's a pretty big decision for you.  I'd advise that you not feel obligated to do anything you don't want to do.  If you feel that having your name published in that niche would benefit you, and you feel that it's a just cause, then go for it.

Jason, I'm becoming more and more focused on chemical contamination of all types...in our food, air, water, etc., so yes, having my name published in that niche would be a benefit, in my eyes.  And yes, it was a lot of work prompted by a request from my boyfriend who is a veteran.  I still have more work on the series planned, so...you see why I needed to take the right approach.  Thanks for you help.

1. Jason Marovich profile image82

Best of luck to you with your crusade, it's an important one filled with people wanting to know more.

3. couturepopcafe profile image60

If this 'organization' wants the entire piece, give them a per word price. You may end up making more money than you will with adsense. Set a fair and reasonable price, 1-2 cents per word.

Included in your contract with them, determine with them how long they have the right to use your piece. Please get a contract in writing, on paper, mailed to you with original signatures, not a fax. You can hash out the details through email, but have the final document mailed - with a check.

If you have the file saved, remove it from HP and then return it later when their right to use the article is done.

There's no reason why you shouldn't get paid. In fact they may expect you to do this. If they want an excerpt, let them have it with a link to your article.

One last thing - if they want to buy the entire article outright, set the price at 3-4 cents per word with attribution to you as the author of the article. Always add another work you've done and your web address, personal or here at HP. it's how your name gets around.

Ex.: John Smith is a freelance writer at HubPages and author of "How to Not Nuke Yourself".
      (web address link here)

This may sound funny, but money isn't the real issue for me on these particular articles.  The organization is a non-profit charity type who is working to bring focus and attention to the issue.  They are founded by Vietnam veterans who work as advocates toward addressing the issues of Agent Orange, including the clean up of Vietnam.  I just don't want to remove the articles from HP if I don't have to.

It's your call. Let them reprint it by permission from author and see what happens. If you're an advocate, you can't have it both ways. If you get duplicate content, it only means you won't get adsense money so for the pennies your making on it, give it to them.

That's what I thought.  As I said, the money thing isn't an issue.  I just didn't want to take it off HP because it can generate more views for other pieces.  Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd not shoot so low as the "fair price" that you've suggested.  It's not that I think you're being unfair....but maybe that you don't realize that what Terrie is talking about is some well researched stuff from someone who really puts herself into her work.

If she was selling something sort of mundane....like teeth whitening products, or weight loss herbs...then I'd endorse your text to income standards.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80

Listen...this is positive, it's not a problem.  You certainly shouldn't allow someone to "use your material" in full unless they just pay you outright with an amount that you're satisfied with.

I think short summaries and dofollow backlinks are the best way to go...Hollie Thomas nailed this one, but an RSS Feed on this other website is something that they could use...with no repercussions and pure positives too.

Todd:  Isn't Hollie great?!   I really like the idea of an rss feed.  I'm so shocked that I didn't think of it.  Gees, you'd think I could be just a little brilliant on my own.   I'll be emailing you in the next day or two to throw some ideas at you.  I'm really busy tomorrow, but expect to have some time either later in the day or on Sunday.  Thanks!

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80

It's a mistake to forget thins like the value of the RSS Feed....those things aren't good to use so much on our own hubs as they used to be....but our Hubpages RSS Feeds are like automatic backlinking gold when used on other sites!

5. Jillian Barclay profile image73
      Jillian Barclayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HubPages will pull your articles from HubPages- I have had it happen to me many times!

Short of rewriting, you may have to make a choice. It sucks!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Terri, I understand your wanting to keep the hubs here, I would too.  I would probably try to have them write their own article about the topic and discuss segments of the hubs which would interest their audience.  The article would center around finding your content and the key points you make (with links to your hubs).

Your hubs are some of the best I've read anywhere online.  They deserve to have a wide, targeted audience. Good luck, and good for you for getting the info out there.

That's a great idea, rebekah. Terri could write a quick article and link to all her relevant points if she wants to. Or let them do it, as you said.

If they let you write it, you could get the byline and author link to another article or your website at the bottom.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's also a great idea, writing as a guest writer with links back to her hubs. I see that a lot on well read blogs, there's a link that says, Read full article here, or something similar.

2. Terri Meredith profile image69

Thanks rebekah!  I've just been contacted by yet another organization who has offered to help me with information on the remaining pieces in the series I'm currently working to finish.  They, too, have asked for permission to post and include links to my Hubpages.  They have a wide network covering about 50,000 or more members and work with many others, especially those who are battling the GMO issue which is another of my writing interests.

Oh, and thank you for your support and compliments!  This sure is getting interesting  smile

It is getting interesting. WTG, Terri and congratulations. smile

3. Hawkesdream profile image67
    Hawkesdreamposted 12 years ago

Hi Terri,
    Just an idea here. You say that the money is not as important to you as the links this series generates for your other hubs.
    In that case have you considered writing a hub, using the same tags, summary and a title that describes the whole series, with links to the other sites that have approached you for your articles.
    By doing this, you will still have the readership that the series generates and subsequent views of other hubs, but also the satisfaction of helping others.
    Your name will be credited to your articles and as far as I can tell you would not lose anything, but gain much.
    Its a thought and how I would handle it.
    Congratulations

Thanks!  There are so many really good ideas here.  I knew I would be surrounding myself with genius when I chose to come to Hubpages!

4. LoriSoard profile image63
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

Here is what I would do...

I would offer to write another article similar to your first one and SELL it to them if they will link to your other articles here for additional information on the topic. Explain that you make ongoing revenue from the articles and about the non-duplicate issue.

However you decide to handle it, good luck. Sounds like you're getting some notice for your work and that is important to build a following.

5. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

I didnt read all the responses so sorry if anything is duplicated.

1. You "enjoy" this topic? ( I used to work the Superfund campaign in NY, I do also)

Just write new content. Fresh and unique just for them with links back to your exisiting content or profile, the links alone could be long term gold for you

. Do it because you care, for free, but don't sabotage your Hubs

2) Offer a rate and write new content, they have a budget, your time and knowledge is worth money.

3) Allow them to repost the Hubs, but require that the pages are set as "noindex" - readers of the site can see the hubs, but they wont appear in google

Your suggestions taken and noted!   Now, about that Superfund past work experience...exactly what did you do in the campaign?  New York certainly has more than its share of industrial contamination...  : (

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80

I've merely got to bump in again to say that anything concerning the business end of the world wide web as stated by Joshua Sunforged....is going to be like free gold coins found on the sidewalk, the dude has forgot more about how the net works and makes money for folks than most others will ever learn.

6. ktrapp profile image93
    ktrappposted 12 years ago

It sounds like you could get a lot of exposure from these other sites to this wonderful series you've written and still are in the process of writing.

You could offer to write a solid summary for each hub in the series for the other sites to post, along with a link to each hub.

Good luck.

Thanks.  I'm sort of thinking all this through.  I've put a lot of time and work into the research end of it and I still have work to do before it's done.  I want as many people as possible to be informed, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either.  I might have to get intellectual and opt for the ole  eeny meany miney mo  thingamabob.   Just kidding.  big_smile

7. Terri Meredith profile image69
    Terri Meredithposted 12 years ago

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!  Now someone has copied one of the hubs from the series and posted it on their site.  And HP has decided to UNPUBLISH it because I'M the one on trial.  Love how they ask no questions first, but just assume we're the one's acting illegally.  Guess I won't be viewed very favorably now because I let them know what I thought of their tactics. 

They did this once before because...are you ready for this?????  I quoted Abraham Lincoln.  Well, actually it was the Gettysburg Address at the bottom of a piece on Gettysburg.  Anyone who's familiar with my writing knows I write some very detailed stuff.  So the GBurg Address certainly wasn't the majority of my endeavors.  I'm so disgusted, I just want to throw myself around and break a few things.  I won't though, because I'm trying to be a grownup.

8. rebekahELLE profile image86

Terri, is there contact info on the site that copied your hub? 

I would contact HP and let them know it is your content! If the other site doesn't remove your hub, file a DMCA. 

I'm sorry to hear someone felt at liberty to post your hub. That's one problem with posting in the forums if someone saw your thread and decided to capitalize on your success, (or the other way around.) Or it could have been someone genuinely unaware that copying other peoples content is stealing.

I hope you get it figured out.

EDIT:  I just found your cached version and copied the first paragraph and found the site. It looks like a site used to inform the public. He copied the first paragraph of your hub and then provided a link to read the full article. The link comes to HP, but it says the hub is no longer published. I don't think this is a case of stealing, but obviously the person copied too much of your content and it either tripped a duplicate filter or someone copied and pasted part of your hub to see if it was copied and flagged it. (Yes, hubbers do that. hmm)
    I would let HP know the details and ask them to republish your hub. The blogger can provide a link, but may have to eliminate the intro to your article, or lead in with one sentence.

I'm in contact with the person in question.  She had the entire hub posted with links to the original and giving me credit.  She was one who had contacted me but had already posted it before I could respond to her request.  As soon as I sent her the email to remove it, she complied by leaving only the first paragraph and the links to the original.  I've already sent a notice to HP and I'm hoping the first paragraph will be allowed to remain.  The site it's posted on is a relatively new one because the owner, who works with a much larger organization, wanted to focus on a subgroup they service. 

I really appreciate how you jumped in and took some action to help me out with information!  I hope one day I can return the favor in some way.  Thanks again!

9. rebekahELLE profile image86

Good, I'm glad to hear she complied. I had wondered if that first paragraph had caused a problem. I then saw her Fair Use notice at the bottom of her site and was hoping that wouldn't be an issue.  Hopefully HP won't have a problem with the first paragraph, or a flag happy hubber!

I checked her page rank, it's a 3, not bad for a relatively new site. I'm sure with her target audience, her purpose is to inform. I didn't see any ads.

It could provide you with some nice backlinks!

No she doesn't monetize the site.  In fact, she and six others (one who worked for the same original organization) are putting together a plan for becoming a non-profit org.   She truly has a pile of contacts through which she's given speeches and interviews.  On just one of her social pages she's got 19,000 followers.  I've been invited to a meet-up with her group in April, but haven't decided if I'm going.  It's only about 250 miles away so not that far.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)