Would like some critique.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. LadyMar profile image59
    LadyMarposted 12 years ago

I joined HubPages in November, due to the holidays and then foot surgery in February, I'm just now getting back to publishing Hubpages again.

I welcome critiques, ideas and suggestion to what I can do to make my Hubs better and receive more traffic.  Below are a couple of my Hubpages.  Thanks.  :-)

http://ladymar.hubpages.com/hub/tipsforbeautifullips

http://ladymar.hubpages.com/hub/keeping … okinggreat

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

They are well written.  I would post some backlinks in the hub.  But that's it.

1. Sue B. profile image93
      Sue B.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do backlinks really help? I have heard that links in your hub pull people away from your hub and that could harm you as well. What do you think is best?

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

The writing and layout is great smile maybe look up other sites to chick their keywords and include them in yours wink great job!

4. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Both pages are rather short. That alone is an issue. These are also subjects that have been flogged to death so don't expect too many views.

Having said that, your writing is clear and to the point- which is one the most important things.

You need to dig deeper into subjects and also find subjects that have not been covered so much.

LadyMarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to all that have replied and given their critique.

I've yet to find the information on Hubpages on how long a Hub should be.  What the minimum and maximum length of a Hub is recommended.  So my articles have run from 150 to 300 or so words.  If anyone knows this info, please let me know.

My Hub is geared toward female 40 years of age and older, especially older.  And yes, there are numerous articles in magazines, on tv and on the internet about beauty.  But within that information is sometimes new tips and findings.

I would guess most everything has been written about numerous times especially with the advent of the internet, so having a different slant is always welcomed.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The minimum number with any chance of success is around 500. Long, information rich articles with between 1000 and 1500 words, pictures and vids often do very well.

I would check out the learning center- reading every article there is a labor but probably worth it.

LadyMarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While I agree articles too short might not do very well, but too long articles, depending on the subject matter are not good either. 

I write for another publication on a different subject matter and they suggest articles minimum 150 up to 500 words per article.  For them my articles are usually around 300-350 or so. 

In today's society a lot of people don't want or like to take the time to read long articles, they lose interest quickly.  In our instant gratification society now days, it is unfortunate that people prefer sound bites of information.

My goal is to write about 300 to 600 word hubs, depending on the topic.  Some topics lend themselves to longer articles than other topics.  smile

1. Sadie14 profile image95
            Sadie14posted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the learning center here one of the biggest keys to having successful hubs is said to be writing around 1,500 words. As long as you have a good clean, interesting layout I don't think it should be a problem.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)