Hubbers Front Page... Fortunately I drink, so this gets said

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Ok, so, on rare occasions, I hit 100 as a hubber score. I like to think it's because of my literary genius, but the truth is, it only proves that HubPages still hasn't figured out how to master it's search-engine appeasement algorithms well enough to exclude idiocy like the crap I write from showing up. I'm happy about that, and I hope they never do. LONG LIVE SATIRE!!!

That said, I have to say, I'm kind of pouting about the loss of the hubbers front page like they used to have for, like, forever. I can't tell you how many times I went on there and saw who hit 100, clicked onto their hubs and read through them trying to figure out what CONSISTENTLY (rather than a single 100 hub itself) worked--even a blind chicken gets a kernel of corn, but some of these people lived at 100. I certainly didn't/don't, but for the four or five hubs I've actually written that earn like semi-adult, intelligent hubs do, I wrote them all by being inspired by the 100 hubbers who managed to show up often on that list. Some people GET it. Why not make it easy for people trying to succeed find those who consistently do?

Yes, I also saw that wayyyyy too much work went into the hubs of those hubbers, which is why I only hit 100 like once every 30 to 90 days... (there seems to be a correspondence with drinking holidays like the recently passed St. Patrick's Day and my blinks of triple digits). But, despite how much effort those over-achievers put in, I have to say, I really kind of hate that their efforts at consistency have been buried. Is it some kind of politically correct thing that doesn't want anyone to "feel inferior?" (cough)have something to shoot for?(cough)

All I know is, I used to get traffic out the wazz for the day-or-so every few months I happened to slop up a 100 score. I can only assume the people who did it regularly got considerable benefit from having so consistently produced excellence to find themselves on that list all the time (and presumably don't now). I'm not sure what the benefit to HP is for ripping that from them. I'd love to understand the reasoning behind it.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't even know it disappeared. I am thinking maybe it then gives other hubbers an opportunity get more traffic. Mmmm.. I will have to check it out. I am with you Shade on hitting 100, it is nice when it happens but I know it is only for a moment. lolo Yesterday was a 100 all day, then it went to 97 now to 95 but I don't worry about that number at all. Thanks for sharing this info. smile

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

Maybe HP felt that all the people who appeared on that page were too visible as targets for plagiarism?

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think I read somewhere that it is one of the features that was eliminated because it wasn't used that often. It's nice when people who don't consistently hit 100 get some attention. As much as we say scores don't matter, anyone who has ever hit 100 knows it feels good and there does seem to be a brief traffic increase. Geez, that's when I noticed fan sprees from those who follow hubbers with a perfect score.

On the other hand, I'm sure it gave hub snatchers a great place to find content. hmm

Shades, your score is well deserved. Your hub about the gym is laugh out loud hilarious. I cried while reading, it was so funny.
    Congrats!

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is what I recall as well.

4. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Although having the 100 displayed occasionally does give a boost to traffic from other Hubbers, I feel it is merely another misleading indication of whatever program is used to figure the score.  I can tell you this though, it certainly doesn't indicate the worthiness of the bearer as far as writing ability is concerned.  So there has to be some other factors we cannot fathom. 

It must be bad for those striving to reach the lofty dollar mark and instead, see someone with poor grammar and confusing vocabulary sporting the number.  (yes, I include myself in this last scenario as occasionally making the 100)

Since we do not know what goes into the algorithm it simply remains a mystery to us all!  Yes, recognition is great, but only if we know what we are being recognized for.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

5. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Here you go, Shadesbreath...

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6362765_f248.jpg

Congratulations, you literary genius!

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have spent a lifetime cultivating some level of proficiency with language and yet, I have no words to express your awesomeness for having created this genius bit of art.

big_smile

6. Michael J Rapp profile image61
    Michael J Rappposted 12 years ago

As a relatively new Hubber I think it's helpful to be able to see who the high-rankers are.  I even followed a few who seemed interesting so I could pay attention to what they do and how they do it.  Like Randy said, a score of 100 doesn't nescessarily mean they have it all figured out, but I suppose I consider myself smart enough to evaluate their actions rather than simply trying to emulate.  I do think I learned a few things by reading their work and observing how they do business here.  And many of those folks don't seem to post in the forums, so it was nice to have a way to locate them and try to figure out what makes them tick.

But I can understand the other side of the coin, if that page really did lead to more incidence of scraping.

7. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 12 years ago

I don't know if this is relevant but the "home" page that shows who landed hub of the day along with people you follow, status update etc. is that what you are talking about?  Because that seems to have disappeared to, or I think it has

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

jenubouka, click the "HubPages" logo on the top left hand side of the screen and it will bring you to your home page.

1. profile image0
        jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah, okay thank you Rosie!  It feels like they change the settings every week, can't keep up smile

2. CMHypno profile image82
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this info Rosie - I've been here all this time and never knew this! smile

8. Everyday Miracles profile image84
    Everyday Miraclesposted 12 years ago

I utterly hate the new front page. I think it's completely awful and difficult to read. But it seems that it's been this way for a little while at least. Even if I haven't been publishing or posting on the forums I've been checking in here on Hubpages. I liked it best when the top hubbers were being displayed on the front page, in part because until recently, I was almost always amongst them (98 hubber score minimum). It's gone down recently for reasons I'm not sure about other than getting plagiarized. I miss being able to sit at 100 sad

9. Karanda profile image78
    Karandaposted 12 years ago

Shadesbreath, I've only been there once myself and it was a glorious moment. I'm pretty sure the only reason I got there was because I was trying to see what it takes from the top Hubbers, the ones consistently 'up there'. I do miss seeing that list, it inspired me to do better. Sure, we can now look at the top Hubs instead but I believe some of those are at 100 more because of backlinks and the use of trending topics.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)