FYOM

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. cloverleaffarm profile image68
    cloverleaffarmposted 11 years ago

I wish hubbers would stop taking hub ideas from other hubbers. There is enough topics in the world to write about without taking others ideas. Even if you write the article differently, in my mind, you are like a parasite taking the idea.
    FYOM...FIND YOUR OWN MATERIAL.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In their defense, a lot of hubbers don't check first to see if the topic has been covered. But, yes, some do find out the best performing hubs of others and copy the ideas.

cloverleaffarmposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here is my hub, written over a week ago. <link partially snipped>...10-Things-To-Do-With-Kids-On-A-Rainy-Day-That-Dont-Require-The-Use-Of-Electronic-Gadgets

Another hubber not only wrote about the same topic, but used 5 of the same from the list, and just changed the words. Livid to say the least.  He says he didn't read it, but it is way to close for comfort. It isn't like he came up with 10 totally different ideas.That, would be more acceptable.

2. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that there is a difference between hubbers who target a performing hub and just rewrite it and hubbers who write on the same topic.

For instance, you have a hub on Queen Victoria - does that mean you think that no other hubber should ever write about Queen Victoria?  If so you have broken your own rules as there are already quite a few Queen Victoria hubs?

There are only so many topics in the world, and in fact HP has put a brake on some of them because they were becoming over-saturated - you would now have to write a very, very good and differently slanted hub on acai berries to get it published.

To be honest, I never actually check on HP before I start writing.

No, I do not think that no one else should write about Queen Victoria. Many already have, as you have stated. I was doing it for a 10/10/10 challenge, and used the knowledge in my head about her. I have studied the Victorian Era for years. If someone has the same list somewhere, or one close to it, I will remove my hub, or totally rewrite it.
        My problem is that my hub was published over a week ago. 10 Things to Do With Kids On A Rainy Day Without Using Electronics.
        He posted his yesterday Top 10 Rainy Day Things to do with Kids.
        Out of my 10, he has 5 of the same. Not 1 or 2...5!
        There are hundreds of things to do with a child on a rainy day. Why is it he has 5 of the same things mine?  Even the intro of "forgetting the TV" is too close.
        I don't check before I write either. But, if someone calls me out on something, I would take my hub down. I would not want to be thought of as a parasite.

1. CMHypno profile image83
          CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately all you can do is email the team, but unless it has been copied there is probably not much they can do, as it is a very difficult thing to prove.  I once had a follower who read all of my hubs in one niche, and left a comment 'thanks for all the great information'.

When I looked at that hubber's account I saw how literally they meant the thanks, as they had written very similar hubs on most of the subjects.  But unfortunately, unless it is close enough to count as being copied, there is probably very little you can do about it.  There are plenty of ruthless people writing on the internet, who aren't remotely interested in a little thing like ethics unfortunately.

2. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You did not need to start a new thread about this when you have already had a go at the hubber on this thread - http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/95875?p … ost2071568 - where you not only accuse him of plagiarism, you then call him a liar when he quite clearly states that he did not see your hub.

Perhaps you could be accused to stealing the idea from other hubbers, as it does seem to be an over-saturated topic here on HP.

http://lisaluv9784.hubpages.com/hub/Thi … -rainy-day
          http://smartandfun.hubpages.com/hub/Rai … s-for-Kids
          http://cblack.hubpages.com/hub/Keeping- … -Rainy-Day
          http://stephhicks68.hubpages.com/hub/Ra … h-the-Kids
          http://beth100.hubpages.com/hub/More-Ra … Activities

Didn't you copy some of their ideas?

I think this thread is completely unprofessional.

3. Diane Woodson profile image59
      Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with her even though this has not happened to me yet, gotta get the ironing done and will be back later this afternoon or tonite!!! Keep writing gus this is so much fun to me....

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

+ 5  - I Totally Agree on this!

A lot of of us work very hard to be creative in areas that have not been previously developed.... and a lot of 'second raters' just bastardize that hard work by flogging not only your ideas, but your keywords, tags and ultimately your income potential. sad

Over time you tend to resist the urge to walk your dog through such ideas that you know are going to get pirated.. sad

I guess no wonder how good the Flea Treatment you use is.. your dog is always going to get Infested.. if fleas are able, or encouraged to jump your dog!! sad

At least if he had copied the whole thing I could file a DMCA against him. It is just that he took 5 of the list of 10 I wrote, and just changed it. Not cool. It is obvious he read mine. It is too similar.

Actually, I did file against him. We will let them have the final decision.

3. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I don't make a habit of checking. However, the one time I did, it was a few weeks ago near Easter. I wanted to write a hub about how to make a certain rabbit-shaped cake. I searched HP and found only an old bare-bones hub from an inactive hubber who only had a couple of hubs, so I figured I would go ahead and write my own with more detailed instructions and more photos. During the couple of days I took to leisurely write and publish it, another hubber who had the same bright idea published her own hub on the same cake. I felt terrible, because she published hers first and it appeared as though I copied hers, when in fact I checked the topic in advance to make sure it wasn't saturated. I didn't know she had done hers until I published mine only hours later. She was very nice and gracious about it, but still I felt bad. Sometimes these things are simply honest mistakes. Also, some topics are simply more popular than others and will have lots of articles written on them.

In Cloverleaf's case, the copycat sounds pretty fishy. Coincidentally, I too have a hub listing things for kids to do on a rainy day. I didn't check before I wrote that one. I have a feeling, though, that mine and Cloverleaf's are probably nothing alike. There are hundreds of things you can do with kids. What are the odds that 50% of them would be the same? To me, it doesn't sound like an honest mistake on the part of her copycat.

If he hadn't been doing the same challenge, I wouldn't have found it so fishy. As Izzy has pointed out, I guess there are others out there with the same topic. But, they are FAR older, and they weren't part of the same challenge.

4. Diane Woodson profile image59
    Diane Woodsonposted 11 years ago

I am trying to find the publishers ID for my Hub and cannot find it anyplace I am hoping you guys will know what it is and where I will be able to find it...Thanks, I have written a few things so far....

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your publisher's ID comes from Google. You're an author for HubPages, but your is given to you from Google Adsense. You should have had or received an email to confirm and then retrieve your Publisher's ID.

You would then enter that ID into your Earning sections, and into the appropriate box required.

1. Diane Woodson profile image59
        Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. I confirmed the email and am waiting now for it to go thru so then I think I receive the number! I love this...I love to write and having all these other writers to write to also is just great!!

1. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile Welcome to HubPages! smile

5. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 11 years ago

Oh wow people - its not like there are any new ideas in the world - pretty much everything is simply written in different ways - holy cow - I mean a new idea could pop up here and there like an alien with a cats face or something - naw I think that one has allready been done too

6. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Really, all the suggestions in your Hub are quite common-- you can hardly claim you're the only person to ever use all of them in an article.

Besides that, this is  (as another user said) extremely unprofessional. I had a friend join shortly after me who took many of my ideas and topics and wrote in the same manner as me on them. I was upset and made a thread about it. Luckily a user informed me that it was entirely inappropriate and uncalled for. And it was-- I was upset, yes, but complaining about it publicly is not appropriate.

You have no right to slander another user when you have no real, concrete proof besides a similarity between VERY common information.

7. profile image0
    Norah Caseyposted 11 years ago

Closed, due to the number of flags this thread has generated.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)