The Hub-Views Accolade Should Be Revised

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (64 posts)
  1. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 11 years ago

Presently, the subject accolade is set up to reflect when a hubber reaches 1000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000, 10,000,000 and 100,000,000 views.

I believe that it should be revised to where it would reflect 1000, 10,000, 25,000, 50,000, 75,000, 100,000 views, with the all of other levels remaining the same.

I believe that such a change would provide many hubbers, especially many of the newer ones, with more incentive to hang in there, as well as provide them with a degree of recognition that would set them apart.

What do you think?

1. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like your suggestion. It is a long time between 10,000 views and 100,000. For those of us who do care, that is.
      Peg

1. Dale Hyde profile image79
        Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agree with Peg. smile

feenixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I agree with you, Dale.

2. PegCole17 profile image93
          PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dale. Some of us need that little spark of encouragement when we write. Others could care less. For them, let them hide their accolades.
          Peg

Hello again, Peg,

Yes, let them hide their accolades, but they should not be trying to discourage the rest of us from getting a little satisfaction.

2. feenix profile image57

And I believe that the vast majority of the contributors to this network do care, including many of the ones who claim they do not care.

2. profile image0
      mts1098posted 11 years agoin reply to this

These icons are nothing more than acknowledgment for something completely out of our control.  I do not pay much attention to them but as long as they are here, I agree that the gaps should be more realistic...cheers

3. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree with you. It's a REALLY long way from 100,000 to 1,000,000. I love long-distance driving, and I make good use of mile markers to gauge progress from one place to another. I think a lot of hubbers would like to see that page view accolade change a bit more often, as you and others say, for a boost to morale.

Accolades don't mean much of anything to me, which is why I don't make them public. But for those who like them, what's the harm in introducing a few more milestone huzzahs?

I really do like your "driving-a-long-distance analogy."

For example, when I drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco (a little over 400 miles), I like it when I see signs that say, "San Francisco 100 miles," "San Francisco 50 miles," "San Francisco 25 miles" ...

1. Sally's Trove profile image79

Exactly. smile

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Since the accolades are totally meaningless, I don't care either way. I don't even know what it says on mine!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto to that.

That is merely your opinion.

I assure you that a very considerable number of the writers who contribute to this site do not consider the accolades to be "meaningless."

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

The thing about that accolade that always bothered me was the spacing between 100,000 and 1,000,000  - also 1,000,000 and 10,000,000 views.

I figured it would have a 500,000 accolade and 5,000,000 accolade. To make sense of the system.

I don't really care either way.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

RIGHT!

Hey, Wesman, I really do like your response.

It was totally egotistical.....I think I can hit 500k this year.  If you delete hubs.....those views are subtracted, so I probably won't delete any more.....

4. feenix profile image57

Perhaps it stems from my military background, but I like being awarded "medals."

Also, and strictly from a business standpoint, I believe that if HubPages gave recognition for 25,000, 50,000 and 75,000 views, a lot of the newer writers who are presently "giving up" and going away would stick around longer.

Because of such human characteristics as ego, pride and competitiveness, a lot of hubbers whose hubs have garnered 50,000 to 80,000 views, for example, would be pleased to be recognized for having a number of views closer to what they actually have, rather than only 10,000.

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I hide my accolades because they mean nothing to me.  You don't get paid for your accolades.  You can't sell your clips to an editor and say, "Here are my accolades.  Hire me because I earned them."  In other words, accolades are not an indication of a professional writer.  It may be important for the beginning Hubber, but accolades have nothing to do with getting work or making online money.

Many people who begin writing on this site don't last because they don't make money right away or quickly find out that they are making online pennies that won't be paying their major bills.  It has nothing to do with wanting to reach a certain amount of page views.  To shoot for a certain amount of page views instead of concentrating on writing good hubs is a waste of time.

With all due respect, I disagree with almost everything you wrote.

For one thing, I believe that the majority of the contributors to HubPages are not in it for the money. They are writing on the site as a pastime or hobby, to improve their writing skills, for therapeutic reasons, to have a journal or record of their thoughts, ideas, opinions and views, and I could go on.

And "to shoot for a certain number of page views instead of concentrating on good hubs is a waste of time??!!!"

Well, I have been a writer for years; I am a professional writer; I earn income from my writings, and I have a fairly large following both on HubPages and out there in the "real world" -- and I always "shoot for a certain number of page views."

As a professional writer, not only do I view writing as an art and a skill, I also view it as a business, which translates to the more views my works receive (whether it is for one of my books, op-ed articles, blogs or hubs), the more money I make.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Some people like them, some don't care.

I like them, and now I have none left to get.  Apart from a HOTD and the million views - both of them probably not achievable.

I realise they are pointless baubles and there is something lacking in me that I like collecting them but hey...  it's a free world.

If you want to see accolades gone mad, have a look at Squidoo.

Mark, I really do like an honest person, and obviously, you are one.

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

It amuses me that the OP seems to think people who say they care about accolades are more honest than people who say they do not.

Some people simply don't buy into all the stuff about being competitive. For those of us who do not, trophies, medals, badges, prize certificates, leader boards, etc, etc really are meaningless.

I have hidden the accolades on my profile. I have nothing of which to be ashamed, as I have eleven of the things (took a brief look now simply to check; I never go into my profile otherwise). However, I have hidden them to be true to my principles. If I think they are meaningless, why should I want to flaunt them all over the place?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your honesty WA.  I think that feenix simply recognised within me a man of integrity and it was that, rather than my view on the accolades, that persuaded him.

For my part I will try to continue with the web of deceit.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The sort of accolade that does mean something to me, Mark, is when a client contacts me about a job and says something like:

"I really hope you will be able to do this for us, as this is a very important project. I know that your work is always of excellent quality and that you will not let us down"

For that reason, I never compete by bidding for jobs against other translators either. I want the "accolade" of knowing that the client wants me, specifically me, to do the job for him.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
          Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Damn I want that badge...

Wow, you wouldn't be a good fit for the promotional staffs of Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola, or General Motors and Ford Motors.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
            WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You really are too funny!

Having spent the past 8.5 years very successfully as a freelance, working when and how I want to work, why on earth should I be concerned with how I would be assessed as a wage-slave cog in some boring monolithic corporate structure! lol

"I," "I," "I"...

So, you are not concerned about being recognized for who you are, what you do and what you have achieved ("...I have eleven of the the things...").

Okay.

Achieved what exactly? You posted a number of times on the forum, big deal smile None of this is interesting to the general public who we wish to attract.

I admit I like seeing an accolade once in a while but they are invisible to everyone else.

I apologize for getting out of line. I am definitely a work in progress.

It is just that I believe that a great many people do get a lot of satisfaction from receiving and displaying "tokens" that show what they have accomplished and so forth. 

For example, the walls in the offices of both my physician and dentist are covered with their diplomas, certificates, awards, etc., etc., etc.

But to me, diplomas are not on par with these types of accolades. Doctors post their degrees so you can tell they actually graduated from college.

Everything is relative, as they say.

But, hey, if it`s important to you that is all that counts..

That is all I have been trying to say.

Or, I could say, what is unimportant to one person is very important to another.

1. profile image0
                    Chris Hughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know, it's funny, but I don't have my diplomas on the wall. But I enjoy the accolades. I wanna get that cool black and white one. I don't even know what it's for;)

3. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is not about being competitive. I simply like to see my accomplishments at times.

Very good answer, Dale. I wish I would've thought of that.

2. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been setting my own milestones and goals (what some people might call accolades) since I started writing on this site, and it's been a LOT more meaningful to achieve those than receiving a random graphic.  You might consider trying it sometime.

My reward to myself for all of my 2011 achievements with my online writing is that I'm taking a trip to Europe this summer.  That sure as hell beats getting a pat on the head for page views.  And it's going to make for some good, original content too.

VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!

Each human being is unique.

As an example, each person has his/her own view of what is rewarding.

8. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I got a 50 hub badge the other day, I did not realize it was my 50th hub until I noticed the accolade.  The same was true of 100k views, so the badges do give a wake up notice of achievements.

Congratulations to you, Reality Bytes. Sincerely.

Formal recognition of one's accomplishments is a wonderful thing, regardless of the fact that some people claim it is unimportant to them.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Just remembered, I got one of these a while back...
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6628658_f248.jpg

1. TNB profile image60
      TNBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

WTF?! I want one! Share your secret, Mark Ewbie.

I have never received one of those accolades, but I have no doubt that a lot of people here on HubPages would like to see me get it.

1. profile image0
        markbennisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey feenix I am with you on this one, I feel the accolades can spur a hubber on and give them a nice confidence boost, for all their hard work that they have accomplished.

So I think it would be a good idea if the gap between the 10,000 and 1,000,000 accolades could be shortened, then for those who enjoy a new accolade can receive a much needed boost in that recognition.

After all there is nothing to loose by doing so and for those who care more to gain.

Mark, thank you for the "aye."

And one of the reasons I decided to submit this topic is I believe that revising the page-view accolade, in the manner I suggest, would enhance the operations of HubPages. Such a revision would give extra shots of encouragement and motivation to many of the site's contributors.

1. profile image0

Yes and I agree with you 100% it can be hard at times to keep motivated and positive and no more so than these days with (panda & penguin) making things more difficulty for hubbers.

So at times like these every bit of encouragement would be appreciated by most I believe anyway.  After all reducing the gap between such milestones can only serve as a reminder to keep up the good work, and help to persevere onwards and upwards.  smile

Because I served in the U.S. Army for four years and worked in the corporate world for over 40 years (now, I am retired), I have learned that most people gain a great deal of satisfaction from receiving such things as medals, plaques, certificates and, yes, accolades.

1. profile image0

I second that feenix, they do give the earner a sense of pride and the feelings for self achievement and being recognised as so, certainly instils a sense of worth for ones efforts.  It can be a motivator and an improver to a hubbers output, giving them that little boost to go that extra mile and keep doing what they are doing.

After all this is a tough game for those who are in it for the long haul and every hubber at some point needs that bit of encouragement. Even if to just gauge your efforts against your achievements and to get a better perspective, especially when the traffic monster is eating away my daily fix!  LOL, it can be surprising how such things can affect us and I am a traffic watching addict, LOL…

Hey, Mark, very wise insights.

And I, too, am a traffic-watching addict.

1. profile image0

That’s encouraging to hear, well, I hope someone in head office feels like us too, and really considers what you have proposed here, after all it is a very positive incentive that can be appreciate on both sides.

Anyway off to help out with the kids, for now take care and all the best, Mark.

3. Sally's Trove profile image79

I also want one of these. If I had one, I'd actually consider making my accolades public.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

I WOULD ROCK THAT ONE WITH PRIDE!

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

This is a great idea - the accolades help motivate people, and that dry spell can leave people a bit frustrated or feeling unrewarded.

Hi, Marcy,

As I have stated before in this forum, most people really do get a lot of satisfaction from receiving some kind of formal credit for what they have accomplished or achieved.

And I fully agree with you. The 250K, 500k and 750k marks should be added features, too.

11. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

As an added suggestion, I can see benefits to accolades for 250k, 500k and 750k.  The span between 100,000 and 1 million is even longer than the climb to 100k.

12. feenix profile image57

Hello, WriteAngled,

Please chill. I was just being light-hearted.

I have no doubt that you are very good at what you do and that you are truly a professional.

13. feenix profile image57

I conducted an unofficial poll among some the hubbers I know and nearly all of them agree that the Hub-View Accolade should be revised based on the suggestion made in the opening comment of this forum.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)