jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

RSS no longer allowed?

1. StephenCowry profile image61
    StephenCowryposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure is this has been asked already but is it a violation or unfavorable to put up rss link on hubs?

1. WryLilt profile image86
      WryLiltposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You can do it, but you need to remember:

1. The content in it looks like "duplicate" to search engines.
      2. You can have either two outgoing links to a site OR one RSS feed. Not both.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
        Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

...and also, you can only link to related Hubs - so you'll have to set up the RSS feed using tags, not just "latest" or "best".

1. Camille Harris profile image
          Camille Harrisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely right! (And make sure to check the Hubs once you've done so, too, just to be sure).

Thanks for helping out, folks smile

2. Dale Hyde profile image84
        Dale Hydeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here I am confused, again, lol. On many of my hubs I have the RSS feed up to display five of my related hubs.  Is that too many to have in the RSS feed? Are these considered duplicate to search engines?

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
          Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's not the number of Hubs that's the problem, it's the text.  The description is the same for each link in every Hub. If you've chosen the long description, that's a lot of text being repeated over and over.

I've used RSS feeds on many of my Hubs, too, but I always used the short description. I used to think that was enough to avoid problems but I am considering removing them, especially as the "Others are reading" section on the new layout already lists some of my related Hubs.

1. Dale Hyde profile image84
            Dale Hydeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Marisa. I use the short as well, but not just the one sentence. You may be correct, however about the possibility of removing them. I had never thought about the duplicate content at all. I appreciate the response.

2. StephenCowry profile image61
    StephenCowryposted 5 years ago

Thank you guys for throwing in thoughts regarding rss feed. Those are indeed helpful as Google these days has been very particular in small things. We need to get updated. Thanks again.

working