Lost in an AdSense maze - Help, sinking fast!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    donnaMhicksposted 11 years ago

OK, I'll try to make this short (fat chance!) I am so deeply lost with AdSense I have given up 5 times over the 7 weeks since I joined HP. So after all this time, I am still at "under review" AdSense status, until I get my ads done (initially rejected because I tried to implement AdSense after only 1 hub, then pre-approved). I go to ADSense and try to follow the instructions for adding ads but get so lost I just give up; its like alien to me; I don't understand it! I have spent hours on the site several times and am so seriously confused and just lost! Obviously, its also costed me money over nearly 2 months! I need plain, simple English instructions. I am not technically oriented and don't have a clue!!
    1st question is where I go to add the ads! Do I have to do this on every hub, just on my "my account" pg or what? (Told u I am lost)
    OK, so, the AdSense instructions say under "View Source Code" that if you are using IE (I use IE9) to "•Click View. •From the drop-down menu, click "Source".
    There is no "view" on my drop-down menu, but if I right click on one of my hubs, (the Archaeology hub, for example) I can access "source," click it and get a huge bunch of jibberish to magically appear. But there is no HTML code displayed like AdSense instructions display
                                                 (etc etc, at least not that I can see in the midst of all the tiny jibberish writing)

In about the middle of the jibberish page there are already several lines that seem to indicate that AdSense is already on the page! I see "Google" and references to ads on several lines about in the middle of the pg. Yet on my AdSense pg, there's no indication that any ads have ever been created and absolutely 0 revenue.
    There are ads besides Amazon on my Hubs, but I think those are HP generated, aren't they?
    Can someone please, please help? I have been so lost and frustrated so many times over 7 wks and just given up that my frustration and lost level just increases much more every time I try again. Then I get even more lost and unable to figure it out. I was almost ready to throw in the towel (reason why no new hubs in over a wk)!

2. profile image0

OK something got dropped in the above. After "...But there is no HTML code displayed like AdSense instructions display..." is supposed to be
    HTML
    Body
    Body
    HTML
    (Hope it gets added this time-sorry)

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

You don't add any ad code to Hubs.  It's all done for you once you put your affiliate code into your account settings here.

You'll want to go to the Learning Center and read all the affiliate articles.

1. profile image0
      donnaMhicksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, relache.
      But now I really, really give up! I have no idea what an affiliate code is, where it is, how I find it or get it and I cannot find anything anywhere that says "account settings" on my HP acct pg.
      I just can't figure this alien stuff out; I give up and that's not something I do easily.

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Welcome to HubPages DonnaMhicks smile Click on your name on the top right. A menu list drops down. Click on 'My Account' then look to the left side to 'Earnings' and that is where you post your Adsense code which will look like -> pub - ID xxx -xxxx- xxxxx or something similar tongue which you put in the little box labeled 'Adsense'. Use the 'Search' bar to find articles right here on HP to help you with your adsense or other questions wink

1. profile image0

Thanks much, Dame Scribe. When my AdSense acct was 1st denied, (as explained in original post) HP has since had "application disapproved" in the AdSense space and when I click on "configure" next to Adsense box, I get a popup box that tells me that Google disapproved my AdSense acct and that I can reapply and it gives me the link to the AdSense pg. How do I get HP to recognize the current status, that I already reapplied still under that same #? On my AdSense ad pg, is the normal temporary, partial approval redline msg across the top telling me "Your AdSense for content application is still under review. You will only see blank ads until your account has been fully approved or disapproved. Learn more."
      When I click "learn more" I get the pg that tells you about the 2-step process and the 2nd step requires implementing the HTML code on your site, implying it is for final approval. That's where I am so lost. I started following the instructions to do that (described in my panic essay above). When I go to my AdSense ad pg now, since I got an "adSense HTML code" and named it, per their instructions, I can see an ID for that code under "my ads" and then "ad units." I chose an incorrect ad size I'm pretty sure (728x90) but thats what they had highlighted when I was taken to whatever pg you select ad size after following the other instructions that have me so confused and now I don't even know how to get rid of that. Now I wonder if I have messed everything up even more by doing that. I have no clue how to get out of the mess, which I created, just trying to get through the re-approval process.
      There is nothing anywhere that tells me I am now approved fully, etc., just the message as I mentioned above telling me that I needed to get the HTML code and ad to my pg. in order to get the final approval. I am "still under review" until I implemented their required HTML code - after writing more hubs, reapplying and they sent me the temporary approval email.  I noticed that the ADsense code expressed in the same manner you listed is still the same # as when they initially denied me. But I still don't know how to get it changed on that pg that it is no longer disapproved, nor to get Adsense to recognize me as fully approved. I'm too tired to even bother any more tonight. Thanks so much for explaining this more. I think I may have really goofed it up now, trying to follow the Adsense acct pg instructions! I'll try again when not so literally confused that I'm exhausted.
      Have a blessed weekend!!

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

1) You have to have an adsense account
    2) Go to https://www.google.com/adsense/v3/app#home
    3) Copy the number on the top right in gret print: "Publisher ID: pub-lotsofnumber"
    4) Put that number here: https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/affiliate/google
    5) done

6. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

You have to wait until your account is approved.

There is no point thrashing around before that happens. Some people have reported having to wait several weeks for the process to complete.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This.

7. profile image0

OK, my last post to this. I understand what all of you are saying and I appreciate your replies. However, AdSense is telling me that in order to complete the process I have to post the HTML (I realize that I need to just post the ID # on HP in spite of what that AdSense msg. says) But when I go to post the ID in the proper place on HP, I cannot do it because of the original disapproved status of my AdSense acct (due to the fact that I did not initially realize I needed to have more than 1 hub at the time I applied for  AdSense). It is not possible for me to re-post the AdSense ID because every time I try to re-post it on HP, given the conditional approval (yes I rec'd a new AdSense email), this is the the HP pop-up msg I get from HP:

"•It appears that your Google AdSense Application, with the publisher id ca-pub-(Note: I removed ID # here for purposes of this post) has been disapproved by Google. You should have received an email from Google explaining why. You can make any necessary updates to your application and resubmit by signing in to the Google AdSense Home Page using the email address and password you provided with your application"

I have been trying for 3-4 wks now to correct the situation to no avail. That is why I have not submitted new hubs recently. I have made absolutely not even one single penny in 2 months here because of this problem, even though there are quite a variety of ads on my hubs from several different sources. I cannot even benefit from HP ads because I cannot re-post the AdSense ID# on HP and the AdSense acct is required to reap benefits from HP ads from what I read, because you "must have" an Adsense account....(then why are there all kinds of different ads on my hubs, not including my active Amazon?!)
    I am just at the point of being just about ready to close my HP acct. I enjoy HP, have had fun here, met really nice people and have read great hubs. Even though I don't expect to retire on hub earnings, I cannot just keep writing/posting them for free and somebody, somewhere must be making money off all the ads on my hubs, yet I cannot earn one cent.

Then your next step is to email team @ hubpages.com and report the problem to them, now that you've got approval.  It may be a bug, but they're the only ones who can fix it. 

Unfortunately, it can take a week or two to get a reply, so patience will be necessary.  If you don't get a reply after a week, do email them again just in case the message has gone astray.

I know it's not clear (and I've suggested they change the wording several times), but the "Need Help" and "Report a Problem" forums are intended as places to seek help from other Hubbers, rather than report issues directly to the staff. The staff don't actively monitor the forums these days.

If it's any consolation, there's a good chance you'd have made barely a cent in only 2 months, anyway.  Unless you're already an experienced online writer, you can expect each Hub to take several months to start earning properly, and they can take two to three years to reach their full earnings potential. To give you an example, one of my best performing Hubs has earned me about $400 in the last three years, but earned only $1 in its first three months.

Because HubPages earns its income from ads displayed on your Hubs, whether or not you've signed up for any ad programs.  That's what enables them to maintain the platform.

8. profile image0

Thanks for your reply, Marissa.
    Yes, I have been writing for over 20 years. Most recently, I won 1st place in a writing contest sponsored by the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting and Population Services International in which 100 writers from several countries submitted 182 entries in 2011; won 3rd place in "Haiti: 2 Years Later" earlier this year, won the adult category of the Paul Laurence Dunbar Memorial Poetry Prize in 2008 which had close to 1,000 entries, numerous smaller writing contests the past 2 years and I regularly write for 2 other sites.
    Maybe this will be straightened out soon.
    Thanks again for your reply and advice for next steps to take.

It's not about the quality of your writing, it's about your ability to write for the internet.  We've had several experienced journalists and published authors, who write wonderfully, who have struggled to make a good income on HubPages. 

If you've been writing on other sites, that's a different story and perhaps you will hit the ground running. However the fact that you're not internet savvy enough to promote your other writing with links on your profile, and that you've never needed an Adsense account until now, suggest you may be lacking in some of the basics of making money online.

1. profile image0

Or perhaps that is because the other sites do not requie and in fact, forbid personal ads from AdSense on their sites. I asked for help here, not condescending remarks. Thank you for helping me make my decision with that response.

I do apologise if my remarks appeared to be condescending.  I did not mean them that way and was simply trying to explain the reality of writing on the internet.  Your post seemed to imply that because you are an award-winning writer, you should find it easy to make money instantly - I was just trying to point out that is far from the case, if you are not knowledgeable about writing online.  That's not a criticism, it's a fact.  I'm in my fifties with a long record of writing, and I also had to start at the beginning again when I started writing online.

The fact that you have written only for sites that don't allow personal advertising, suggests that you probably don't have much visibility on your readership, page views, etc., which would mean you haven't had sufficient exposure to know what works and what doesn't.  I used to write for Helium, and that didn't teach me much, if anything, about online writing - I had to start again when I moved here.

1. profile image0

That is not true at all! You stated "Unless you're already an experienced online writer, you can expect each Hub to take several months to start earning properly, and they can take two to three years to reach their full earnings potential." I simply answered back that I am an experienced writer.

I certainly think that telling someone that

"However the fact that you're not internet savvy enough to promote your other writing with links on your profile, and that you've never needed an Adsense account until now, suggest you may be lacking in some of the basics of making money online."

can not be taken as anything but exactly what it is...condescending."

...and my reply was meant to point out the huge difference between being an experienced writer, and an experienced online writer - because it appeared from your response, that you might have overlooked that important adjective. 

I was explaining the logic behind my assessment, what is condescending about that?  You're free to interpret it any way you like, of course. I can only apologise if it offended, I dont know what else you expect me to do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)