jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (32 posts)

IMPLEMENTED: The new vote up/vote down arrows are confusing!

1. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 5 years ago

I just voted my own hub down because I was trying to use those arrows to scroll with! They look like scrolling arrows, not voting arrows! This is not good.

1. wavegirl22 profile image42
      wavegirl22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oy I did the same thing!

1. TamCor profile image81
        TamCorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I did, too.  It was to a new hubber, and I felt terrible about it!  I'm glad they are listening to everyone about changing it.

Now I need to go hunt up the new hubber and vote her "UP" this time... lol

2. Austinstar profile image87
      Austinstarposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for changing these!

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

The vote up and vote down buttons look fine to me. hmm

1. lrohner profile image82
      lrohnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think she was talking about the arrows on the new layout, Cags. Check out one of the food/tech/fashion hubs and you'll see.

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh okay.

2. relache profile image90
      relacheposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This.

3. Glenn Stok profile image100
    Glenn Stokposted 5 years ago

I actually don't like those new voting buttons for another reason.  They don't look like they are meant for voting.  I'm afraid some people won't know that they can vote. I wish they would use thumbs-up and thumbs down icons which are common on many websites.

1. Austinstar profile image87

I like the idea of having buttons that say "I like this!" or "I don't like this". Or maybe a question, "Did you like this hub?" followed by Yes / No buttons.
      But the new layout really looks like plain old scroll type up/down arrows. They are not labeled at all :-(

1. Glenn Stok profile image100
        Glenn Stokposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like your idea about labeling.  Asking "Did you like this hub?" can't be misunderstood.  Many times when a friend of mine tells me that they read one of my articles, I ask them if they voted. The answer usually is "I didn't know I can."  So we definitely need improvement in this area.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image94
        Millionaire Tipsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think it should say "do you like this hub" and not just "do you like this?".  I have a feeling that lots of people say no to one of my hubs simply because they do not like the bad news that is reported on it.

That's an interesting point you brought up. That problem could apply to a lot of topics.

2. Jlbowden profile image93
      Jlbowdenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have to tend to agree with Glenn, in that it would be less confusing to use a thumb up icon, for people to vote up. And a downward thumb icon to vote down. It seems not only a bit more logical, but may prove to be less confusing for those who are new to the process, or those who may need glasses sad

4. Millionaire Tips profile image94
    Millionaire Tipsposted 5 years ago

Me too! I wondered what might be underneath to scroll too, but wound up voting down my own hub.  Oops.

5. unknown spy profile image75
    unknown spyposted 5 years ago

Guess, me too. i once vote down my own because i think it's a scroll down button smile

6. MickiS profile image84
    MickiSposted 5 years ago

You don't like the buttons, eh?

Ok...we've gone back to the drawing board. New ones should go live to the site tomorrow.

7. Mark Ewbie profile image88
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

Wow, that's quick.

I was wondering if a user could be guided to the Up arrow, or whatever you use, by perhaps a large pointy thing like maybe a rhinocerous ridden by an angel which would flap around the page randomly until their eyes are drawn to the up arrow.

On clicking the up arrow a choir would appear singing "Hallelujah" and a "Thanks from Hubpages" short video could play.

If they vote down then you could close their browser or infect them with something nasty.

Other than those improvements I can't think of much at the moment.  Very few of my users make it past the first paragraph, so perhaps you could scroll them straight to the arrow and angel thing to save time.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6757019_f248.jpg

1. MickiS profile image84
      MickiSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LOL! Huh, and we were thinking just a simple Thumbs Up/ Thumbs Down side-by-side would suffice. :-D

1. Mark Ewbie profile image88
        Mark Ewbieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh.

Well, yeah, I suppose that might do it.

I'll put the rhino on ice for now.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image88
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6757095_f248.jpg

1. MickiS profile image84
      MickiSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

2. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Aw.

9. moonlake profile image91
    moonlakeposted 5 years ago

I voted a hub down by accident. I than went out and went back and voted up. Maybe I shouldn't do that but I felt awful about giving someone a down vote down that shouldn't have it.

10. MickiS profile image84
    MickiSposted 5 years ago

The new voting buttons just went live to the site. Happy voting!

Really nice. Thanks!

2. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that is much better--thanks so much! smile

3. mary615 profile image96
      mary615posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  Much better!!!!!

4. Austinstar profile image87

Yes! much better!

5. Austinstar profile image87

Although I really did like Mark Ewbie's suggestion. ROFL

6. Rosie2010 profile image76
      Rosie2010posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that was really fast action.  I love the new thumbs up/down.  Thanks, MickiS

11. mary615 profile image96
    mary615posted 5 years ago

I really like the new format for our Hubs.  On the "people are also reading" Hubs, I wish we knew the author's name; not just the title of the Hub.

Closed to reply

working