Facebook identifying links as SPAM (Facebook issue)

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. molometer profile image80
    molometerposted 11 years ago

The suspect link http://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php

I just tried to post to Facebook using the Facebook share button on the hub below.

http://molometer.hubpages.com/_r6mvzzzh … -Christmas

Somewhere along the line the above was converted to 

http://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php

It was blocked and flagged as coming from a known spammer?

This is the first time I have seen this. Has anyone else seen this and are the hubpages team aware of this problem.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@molometer

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing posting to Facebook.

The link http://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php
      is Facebook's CDN.  You can read more about Akamai here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies

It appears Facebook may have implemented additional malware detection and spamming precautions recently and they may not be working properly.

From elsewhere on the internet and not related to HubPages content:
      "Facebook is not letting us post any new content to our Facebook page & has removed posts going back to Friday. Not sure what is going on.

Every link we try to post (ours or others) is rejected with the following message:

'The content you're trying to share includes a link that's been blocked for being spammy or unsafe.'

I was able to post the link to your Hub on Facebook without any issues.

My guess is there might be something on the FB side that looks at the number of post you have made that uses the same URL "http://molometer.hubpages.com/" for example and automarks as SPAM if a certain number have occurred from the same account.

We will keep an eye out and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

molometerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Matthew,
        I would understand if I posted that often to Facebook but I don't. At most maybe 10 posts per week. Sometimes less, sometimes none. I have noticed that this issue also, only lasted for a day or two. Maybe these rogue sites that steal the whole of our content from hubpages, could they be causing this issue?
        I know it is an ongoing battle to police these rogue sites, but I would have thought Google would have the power and resources, to quickly identify these duplicate content sites? Thanks for the above links.

2. molometer profile image80

Just read the Akamai article. Thanks for pointing it out.
        I see where you are coming from, but if this is just a mirror site, I don't see how it would be misidentified as spam. Unless as you suggest it was an error on FB part misidentifying the mirror site. It didn't last long but the point is if we get 'identified' as a spammer, it could have repercussions elsewhere.
        Thanks again.

2. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

In view of the other current or recent problems (odd traffic spikes, spam comment flood), I wonder if this (FB share) problem is part of a multi-pronged attack on HP? Could all be randomly coincidental, of course.

I have had quite a few anomalies in the last few weeks. It can begin to feel like a coordinated effort.

2. jacharless profile image73
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1million.

The FB open graph (og:) API is peppered with security issues, on an already lax cross-domain sharing system. I do not see how this is a HubPages issue, per say, as they do not control FB technology only integrate it for user benefit.

James

3. paradigmsearch profile image58
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

This whole internet spam thing just keeps getting worse year after year. If Homeland Security were to classify it as a form of cyber-attack and deal with it accordingly, I'd be fine with that.

I'm with you on that one. Google knows all about these issues and seem a little slow in correcting them. Like the whole hubpages site getting cloned a few weeks ago? How can they not see it as duplicate content, and not know the original URL?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)