jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Ad appearing which is opposite to the philosophy of hubs

1. aravindb1982 profile image80
    aravindb1982posted 5 years ago

Hi,

I write regularly on the greatest inspiration of my life- Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. I agree that people are allowed to have their own opinion and views. But one ad that keep appearing on my hub is against the philosophy that I write about.

Could that one particular ad be blocked? Or do I have to disable ads completely to stop that ad?

I have blocked that offending site in my Google adsense. Yet the ad appears. Is it because of the Hub Pages Ad program? Do I have to disable it to stop that ad?

The offending ad appears as this:

"Sathya Sai University kartbits.wordpress.com
    Get an insider's view on life at this university. "

It links to

http://kartbits.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/sathya-sai/

Please help me.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image93
      Marina Lazarevicposted 5 years agoin reply to this

On a site like ours, with a wide variety of content and user opinions, it's not practical for us to respond to individual requests to block ads. Ads that may be offensive to one person or one particular Hub can be dealt with by the user in one of these ways:

-Disable ads on the Hub
      -If you have the Ad Program enabled, you can (as you did) block the URL in your own AdSense account, but it will only take effect in the one AdSense API spot.
      -Turn off the HubPages Ad Program and block the URL in your AdSense account. That will get rid of it for 60% of your Hub impressions.

Sorry about that hmm

aravindb1982posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for this late posting. I have a doubt though- What is meant by "but it will only take effect in the one AdSense API spot."? Please could you explain that to me?

The Ad Program includes seven ad locations total. You can only control the ad settings for the one direct AdSense ad unit linked to your personal AdSense publisher id. Since Google ads may appear in one of the other six locations, you cannot block the URL from appearing in any of those locations. 

Alternatively, if you're running the AdSense only layout, you can control the ad settings for all of the ad units on the page, but the settings will not be in effect during HubPages' (40%) share of impressions.

Let me know if you need more clarification on that. smile

aravindb1982posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Does this mean that even if I enable the "AdSense only" layout, I am still on in the HubPages Ad program?

If that answer is yes, then by 60% and 40%, does it mean that  40% of the time, the hub may show ads which I have blocked?

Thank you for the explanation and the clarification. Please answer there too...

If you enable the AdSense only layout, you will not be part of the HubPages Ad Program. You can see the difference in the two layouts here: http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-appearance

However you are correct that in the AdSense only layout, your ad settings will affect every ad unit on the page, but 60% of the time.

2. paradigmsearch profile image94
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

As a side note:

Expect to see a bombardment of pro-Obama ads on pro-Romney hubs.

and

Expect to see a bombardment of pro-Romney ads on pro-Obama hubs.

Just like one would see Pepsi ads on a hub about Coca-Cola. big_smile

Yuuup, good point wink

working