Debby Bruck profile image 85

Explain the differences between British English and American English?

What are the most obvious differences between British English and American English that stand out to you? How do you respond to the different spellings in print, the accents, and the idioms or terms to describe common ideas and objects?

iantoPF profile image87

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) says

• Debby Bruck profile image

Debby Bruck 4 years ago

Very cool.. I hope everyone checks it out! Man, I'm sure I would not understand a blinking thing if it sounds anything like it looks in the "Welsh" language. Guess we need to attune our ears to a variety of accents.

Little Nell profile image77

Little Nell says

• Debby Bruck profile image

Debby Bruck 4 years ago

Very observant to catch those "lifts" from internet sites by your students who shortcut their assignments. The accents from New Englanders definitely has an ancestral basis.

Two Minute Review profile image59

Two Minute Review says

• Debby Bruck profile image

Debby Bruck 4 years ago

That's exactly what I'm hoping, that someone will write a super Hubpages from this question. One spelling that bothers me is the use of "s" in place of "z" like in the word "realisation" as the British spelling for realization spelling in America.

jadesmg profile image86

jadesmg says