How To Instill Leadership Qualities In Your Child?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. crystaleyes profile image61
    crystaleyesposted 11 years ago

Please advise on how to install leadership qualities in my children..

1. a49eracct profile image61
      a49eracctposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It'd be easier if we knew what exactly you want them to be "leading". But, leadership qualities are easily learned through games, such as follow the leader (them being the leader). Crafts can do the same thing, have them "come up with a plan" to make a macaroni necklace. Or ask them to plan what activities they want to do for the day. Leading= making choices. Any opportunity you give them to make a choice will teach them the simple leadership qualities that children can learn.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It would be easier if we knew what you meant by install (instill, perhaps?). There are so many more valuable lessons for your children to learn. Let them develop at their own pace and in their own way, they are individuals after all. Not mini mum.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You don't hit them for misbehaving, first of all.

When you have successfully completed that task, then and only then can you move on to leadership qualities.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure that leadership should be the focus of raising children. Teach your children to communicate effectively.  Our responsibility is to help them be who they are from within. 

'Leadership' qualities can both be used for good and bad.  Teach your child to communicate by talking in complete sentences when communicating with your child, even babies.  Ask questions, allow your child to make choices by giving them two or three choices to choose from when very young.  Allow them to draw outside the lines, engage in imaginative play, be outside in nature (she is a very effective teacher), explore and discover the world they live in.  An inspired child will learn, grow and develop their own inherent qualities.

4. brakel2 profile image74
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Instilling confidence and giving love are the important elements that enable a child to be secure. Selective praise helps with security. Some children are leaders. and others followers. The child develops this trait through experience. You can enroll a child in his preferred activity or sport such as dancing, soccer,and music to give experience relating to others. Then let the child grow and learn.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think it is just as important to teach them care and due diligence in following.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Not having any idea of anything to do with your children, does tend to leave us prone to not providing the quick fix that you appear to be seeking.

Positive leadership skills come from positive role models with whom the child can relate without any fear of negative influence.  In that regard, the child can then be taught to lead democratically as opposed to adopting an autocratic range of dependencies, which generally are developed to compensate for a range of insecurities that the child (or adult) has allowed to become established within the veneer of their personality.  Great Leaders are not Autocratic in leadership, but instead are confident, focused and positively balanced emotionally, thus tend to be compassionate, empathetic and humble in their perception of their ego and understanding of others.

Teach your child to be accepted socially by a gaggle of geese and learn how to gain their trust and acceptance, without using food to tempt them into submission.  Geese are very clever, in 'their choice' of what they feel denotes a great leader!  They are also more reliable than people when it comes to acting naturally in such situations.... Fact... if your child can lead an established pecking order and gaggle of geese... then your child will have learned a wide range of fundamentals required to become an excellent leader... Geese are great watchdogs and have an awesome range of personalities.... but as I said, you have neglected to explain what exactly your post was designed to gain response-wise.

Hey... I'm deadly serious about what I have stated here and hope that you can appreciate that some of the very best lessons in life come from nature and non human sources!  Now if you want your child to lead a band of pirates... then I would suggest that you have them learn the appropriate skills from feral ducks or short bankers! smile  big_smile

4. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I preferred to let my daughters grow up secure in their own individuality, without wanting to lead or be led.

I find it a terrible pity that the individual is so downplayed these days and have always been happiest taking 100% responsibility for my work and 0% responsibility for the work of others.

After 14 years of teamwork hell, I have also had the good fortune to be able finally to structure my life over the last 8 years to be fully independent. The improvement in my well being that has resulted from this move has been incalculable.

5. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

One definite way of instilling confidence over time in anyone, be it child or adult of any age, is the practice of public speaking, that is speaking before a goup.  This tends to happen more in the school classroom than it did and this is a good thing.   However, it might pay a parent who wants their child or children to learn leadership skills to enroll in some sort of public speaking class.   

Here in Australia (and in the U.S. Canada, New Zealand etc - and probably many other countries) Toastmasters International run Youth Leadership courses and Gavel Clubs for kids  - usually after school hours.   And, of course, Toastmasters slogan is 'Where leaders are made.'   Worth a look.

You'll find Toastmasters International on the Web.

6. ITcoach profile image57
    ITcoachposted 11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

It is not the matter, I think some of the qualities each person have are by birth some have to be create for this you have asked. I think realize the baby to be responsible and always appreciate him/her that only he can do that. The baby should be encourage in all the good matters even they do a very little task. This can also create a selfish behavior to them.

There are too many reason instead of this also. But your question is extreme knowledge demanding. Thanks for giving idea about this

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)