Should Measles vaccination be mandatory again?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (39 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 9 years ago

The issue of mandatory vaccination has come up again because of the latest outbreak that started at Disneyland in CA.  The reason its important is because peoples choice not to vaccinate their kids are 1) endangering their own kids but 2) kids of other people that are too young for vaccination.  The facts are:

1. Because of a vaccination program begun in the 1960sn in 2000, the endemic spread in the US was eliminated; only 86 sporadic cases were reported, one died.
    2.  Since an increasing number of people are refusing to vaccinate their kids where now 1 in 12 (8.3%) of children do not get vaccinated. Most (79%) by choice but a small percentage (~5%) because they are allergic.
    3. Outside the US 20 million people get measles each year worldwide; in 2013 145,700 of them died.
    4. 1-3 children out of every 1000 (0.1 - 0.3%) worldwide die from measles despite treatment
    5. In 1963, before vaccination, 400 - 500 people died from measles, 48,000 hospitalized, and 4,000 suffered encephalitis
    6. Between 2001 and 2013, where the avg annual infection rate in US was only 88; 28% of those required hospitalization.
    7. 2014: 644 cases reported!
    8. Jan 2015: 84 cases so far, it will get bigger!!
    A related question is should parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids be liable for infections in kids too young to be vaccinated yet?

1. savvydating profile image89
      savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Parents who will not vaccinate their children are endangering other children, as well as their own. This is one area in which political correctness has no place. All of this nonsense began with a certain Hollywood starlet, who apparently thinks she knows better than doctors. Just make the damn thing a law. I don't want to see anymore people dying needlessly out of sheer ignorance. If something isn't done, this problem will balloon out of control. It doesn't have to be that way. No one has the right to kill someone else's child.

2. My Esoteric profile image86
      My Esotericposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The current outbreak is up to at least 103 with at least 231, 195 of them children, under quarantine.  Recently, a student exposed people on an Amtrak train in Penn Station and another person twice exposed people and kids on the labor and delivery floor in a Fresno hospital.

3. bruce carter profile image60
      bruce carterposted 9 years agoin reply to this

With the outbreaks that are showing up now more than ever each child should be up on all of their shots. Why take the chance of your child getting sick then exposing others.

The fear of autism is rampant.  My massage therapist is one who has that fear.

2. Aime F profile image71
        Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Because people don't actually know what it's like to live in a world where young children died from these diseases (ironically, thanks to vaccines). On a very superficial level I get it. What are the chances of my daughter catching, say, diphtheria right now? Pretty much zero. Then you have all of this information floating around about the super scary ingredients in vaccines, the autism speculation, etc., and you think "man, why would I take the chance pumping my kid full of aborted fetal cells and antifreeze when diphtheria isn't even really a thing anymore?!"

But thankfully I, like most people, can connect the dots and understand that if we all stopped vaccinating against these diseases, they'd come back and we'd undo all the good that's come of from them. And that vaccines aren't just a hodgepodge of unnecessary and dangerous ingredients that are going to poison our children.

It all comes down to parents who have spent a chunk of time on Google that think they know better than immunologists, scientists, and doctors who have spent their entire lives studying diseases and developing vaccines. It's just pure arrogance and stupidity.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. My Esoteric profile image86

As of 2/4/15, there are 107 measles cases now in 14 states.  92% are related to the outbreak from Disneyland.

5. My Esoteric profile image86

As of 2/6/15, there are 121 measles cases now in 17 states; a 13% increase in two days..

6. My Esoteric profile image86

2/17/15:  The count is now 141 cases in 17 states and D,C,; a 16.5% increase in 11 days :-(

2. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

No one makes me facepalm as hard as the anti-vax crowd, but I don't think vaccines should be mandatory. As much as I think the anti-vax logic is incredibly flawed, those people make the choice because they believe it's what's best for their child. I wouldn't be too pleased with someone forcing me to do something I thought was a danger to my kid.

It looks like these diseases are going to have to start making some comebacks before people realize that vaccines are kind of important, I guess. Those who were alive during the time that these diseases were killing their children on a regular basis would be absolutely disgusted by all of this.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"I Don’t Vaccinate My Child Because It’s My Right To Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back"

A most interesting satirical article from the Onion.
      http://feed.hypervocal.com/frame/6080359

Love that Onion piece! Thanks! lol

It's pretty well written, isn't it?  And clearly points out the problem with failure to vaccinate - a problem that experience shows to be true with the Disney thing.

2. My Esoteric profile image86

I understand your desire to maintain liberty, I do as well.  But, liberty has never been absolute, neither by reason of common sense or by law.  I don't understand why we must wait for the certainty that people - kids - MUST die before something is again done.  That is a reactive position when proactive actions need to be taken.

While making it mandatory may run into problems, but making sure unvaccinated kids are kept out of school is not.  Making not vaccinating your kids a legal reason for a negligence claim by parents who kids were infected from an unvaccinated child is another proactive measure.  Things can be done.

1. Aime F profile image71

My first reaction is that we should just do everyone a favour and make it mandatory, because I honestly have not seen one anti-vax argument that wasn't based around bad science. A lot of people unfortunately don't understand how to read, analyze, and think critically about scientific research, so there's a ton of bad information flying around and a ton of people who don't know it's bad information. So it would sort of be like a "this is for your own good" thing.

But, as a mother of a young child, I also know that if I had convinced myself that something would harm her and was required to do it anyway... well, I'd be devastated. I don't feel comfortable saying anyone should have to feel that way.

But I do agree that it's a very frustrating situation, and it would be great if we could find a way to make people understand that they're sacrificing the health of thousands of small children - including their own - and get them to make the right decision on their own terms.

You want your kids to remain unvaccinated?  Fine, but you are required to take a 20 hour night class solidly covering the dangers of not being vaccinated as well as the "science" proving vaccines are dangerous.  And home school them according to applicable state law so they won't transmit diseases so easily.

1. Aime F profile image71

Hey, I'd be down with that. Especially the classes!

Makes sense to me.  And if you can't pass the test at the end (haven't absorbed the information), either retake the class or vaccinate.  Exceptions for parents of children that can't take a vaccine, of course. 

Or put the class as a requirement in all high schools?  Maybe build it into a biology class or modern life - something like that?

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
                MizBejabbersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But what about taking the unvaccinated kids out in public and possibly exposing other children at WalMart or your church. Hopefully those other children would be vaccinated, so I guess the unvac. kids could expose each other.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

It should be a choice. As in, either vaccinate your kids or be sterilized to prevent more vectors. smile

4. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

lol

5. hypnodoctor profile image80
    hypnodoctorposted 9 years ago

With all due respect to freedom and libery, but excuse me, liberty of one stops the moment it harms another person. Apparently vaccination for measles should be mandatory. Those mind-washed conspiracy hacks should not be allowed to endanger the children of people that really, due to medical reasons, can't be vaccinated. Furthermore, the more the virus is allowed to circulate, the more chance there is for it to mutate and gain resistence to vaccination. Unfortunately the pictures of sick children don't work. Presentations don't work. Propaganda doesn't work. Those people are brainwashed and won't budge. Sure, the second there will be an epidemic, they will be the first in line demanding vaccination. Just you wait, it has happened before and it will happen again. The only effective thing available right now is the law. Let them "suck out" the "mercury" (that isn't present even in traces in the new vaccines) and "aluminium" (neccessary component to make immunisation more effective) with their liver flushes or whatever. This is getting ridiculous. We're in 2015, people. Wake up! Sorry, I know I'm preaching to the quire here, but it's just so frustrating. I had to vent. Sorry again.

6. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Dogs are better prepared for life threatening diseases than many children currently are.

7. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

Unfortunately since vaccinations aren't 100% effective, about 3% of kids who ARE vaccinated won't be immune to these diseases and they won't even know it. That's where it gets really dangerous, I think, because at least if you know your kid hasn't been vaccinated you can take precautions when you know there's a risk of them being exposed. That's why the argument anti-vaxers make that "if your child is vaccinated you shouldn't care if mine is" is totally bogus.

In addition to the 3% whose vaccination is not effective, there are also the kids who are immuno-compromised due to serious medical issues. Their immune systems cannot handle vaccines. My teen daughter has a friend who received a heart transplant when she was 18 months old. She is now 16 and doing well, but because of the transplant she had as a baby, she has a lifetime of care instructions she must follow, and she cannot get vaccines. There's also my father-in-law, who is in his 80s and in frail health. Although he received all his vaccines as a strapping young man, his system at this point in his life cannot handle vaccines -- and he is due for boosters. Those who refuse to vaccinate their healthy kids put frail elderly people like my father-in-law, and kids like my daughter's friend in danger. Not to mention newborn babies. It makes me furious to hear about measles turning up in the maternity ward of a hospital, when this deadly disease is so easily prevented.

8. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

My siblings and I were children before the measles vaccine was invented, so all three of us had the disease. I remember my father putting up a silver-painted light bulb in the bedroom to keep the light from hurting our painful eyes. My siblings were so sick that I worried they were going to die. My older child had measles when he was away visiting his grandparents, and the other wasn't exposed.
    My younger one received the vaccine as soon as he came out. The school required the older one to be vaccinated anyway. I didn't object. You see when you experience the measles, either your own or your beloved siblings, you don't question the wisdom of vaccinating the child whether it be measles, polio or any of the devastating childhood diseases.
    We are raising generations of "me only" and it appears that they will learn only by experience. It's too bad because it was really nice to see a couple of generations of children free of these dreaded diseases. If I had small children, they would be vaccinated, and I would object to their going to school with unvaccinated children. It should be made mandatory again. "The rights of the many oughtweigh the needs of the one." (Mr. Spock)

When I was a kid, my two cousins, who lived next door, came down with measles at different times.  Fortunately, it simply ran its course with no complications.  The story is, however, I knew that if adults caught the measles, it can be deadly and because of that I played with both cousins, trying to catch the disease.  I never did and still haven't had them; so I have my fingers crossed.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87

You are lucky, ME. I never caught the chicken pox from siblings. When my children had it, and I came down with a couple of spots on my left arm that my mother said was chicken pox. I was never sick a day. For that reason, my doctor insisted that he give me a shingles vaccination a couple of years ago. I suggest that for all adults because I had a young co-worker with shingles, and she was miserable.

9. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

From FaceBook:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12178515.jpg

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good for him. I hope most pediatrics practices have the same policy.  This is a favorite of mine

http://roalddahl.com/roald-dahl/timelin … ember-1962

Awww, that is so sad. I didn't realize Dahl had a child who died. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child.

2. MizBejabbers profile image87

Good for him. This one deserves the "Best Answer"!

10. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

There were 400 cases of measles in my area last summer. It started at a Christian school with an abysmal 30% vaccination rate. And thankfully (for everyone else, not for the poor kids whose parents decided not to vaccinate them) it stuck around the areas with 10-60% vaccination rates.

11. Melissa Orourke profile image59
    Melissa Orourkeposted 9 years ago

I am not anti-vaccine. My kids have been vaccinated for the Measles.
    My concern, if the government mandates the Measles Vaccine, what will they mandate further down the road which none of us will want to comply with?

Does the possibility of future governmental wrongdoing justify restarting an old and deadly disease to ravage our kids once again?

2. SmartAndFun profile image94

If these previously eradicated, deadly diseases start killing kids, people will be demanding to know why the government didn't step in and do something. Sometimes the people who want the government to leave them alone and give them the freedom to do (or not do) whatever they want are those who complain the loudest when bad things happen -- they'll be the first and loudest to blame the government for not  protecting them.

12. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)