jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Why is it so much easier for humans to come to illogical, even

1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12407421.jpg
    hyperbolic conclusions than to use inductive and deductive logic to analyze and assess events, circumstances, and occurrences?  What makes some people believe in totally illogical, even hyperbolic conspiracies and inane conclusions, even pointless superstitions?

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Often, people believe what they are told. Is it "logical" to believe the Earth revolves around the sun? It sure doesn't look like it from here. Yet 99 percent of the population believes it's true, based on being told so by authority. People will even believe things they don't understand, like relativity,or quantum mechanics, just because "scientists" say so.

People belive in illogical things all the time, whether or not they are facts.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I don't believe the earth goes around the sun because important people told me so but because I looked at the evidence including pictures from space, satellite launches and how they orbit and all sorts of wonderful info that is there for anyone to see.

I also believe in other stuff that I have not checked not because I am an told it by an important person, but by a big group of people with access to sights I have not seen and no plausible reason to lie.  That is why I believe Hawaii exits and though I have not been there.

There things are IMHO the optimize of rationality. We are a species that shares knowledge for the betterment of all, and I am glad to be part of it.

I don't believe you. I think if you believe in quantum mechanics, it's because scientists do and you believe them. Just like you believed in Santa because your mother told you He existed.

Do you REALLY think a photon is interfering with itself? Do you REALLY think the wave function collapses when it is observed?

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't know jack about quantum physics and have never claimed to. 

I do know the earth orbits the sun.

Prove it. In your own words. Not a wikipedia quote.

Looking at pictures of the Earth from space doesn't show the Earth revolves around the sun.

Scientist made theories, based on observations and math I don't understand. It's not intuitive. I simply believe them .

working