jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Meanwhile in the Caribbean... Hurricane Irma

1. IslandBites profile image87
    IslandBitesposted 4 months ago

Maximum sustained winds of 185 mph

Category 5 Hurricane Irma has become one of the strongest storms recorded in the Atlantic, and is threatening to slam into Caribbean islands including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands with "potentially catastrophic" force on Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center said.

Irma is now on a course to hit several Caribbean islands, including the US territory Puerto Rico, Tuesday night into Wednesday.

The incredibly intense winds of Category 5 storms can completely destroy homes, uproot trees, and knock out power utilities for months.

Hurricane Irma is so strong it's showing up on seismometers — equipment designed to measure earthquakes.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-59aef9c6/turbine/os-hurricane-irma-pictures

This is going to be terrible. sad

2. Angel Guzman profile image90
    Angel Guzmanposted 4 months ago

I really hope it does limited damage sad

IslandBitesposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Me too, but it doesn't seem that will be the case. sad

Thanks!

3. quildon profile image80
    quildonposted 4 months ago

Praying!

IslandBitesposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Appreciated!

4. IslandBites profile image87
    IslandBitesposted 4 months ago

And now, Maria.

http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170916160949-02-tropical-storm-maria-0916-exlarge-169.jpg

sad

5. IslandBites profile image87
    IslandBitesposted 3 months ago

I know that if it isnt in the US not many people here seem to care...

But, hurricane Maria already hit some little islands and now is our turn in Puerto Rico. In some hours Maria will hit PR. It is currently at 175mph and could get stronger.

Please send good vibes and prayers. And please help us in the Caribbean anyway you can afterwards.

1. AliciaC profile image98
      AliciaCposted 3 months agoin reply to this

I care, IslandBites. I will be thinking of you all in Puerto Rico. This is a horrible hurricane season, but I hope things go as well as possible when Maria arrives.

IslandBitesposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Thank you!

2. colorfulone profile image87
      colorfuloneposted 3 months agoin reply to this

How are you weathering?  My heart just breaks seeing images, reading articles, and watching videos online.  There are so many people who's lives have shifted in so many different places, millions of  lives have been set back 100 years.

Is there anything you need that the HubPages Forum community can help you with?  Please, don't be shy.

working