jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Would you want one common "world language"?

1. HannahLW profile image60
    HannahLWposted 8 years ago

Would you want one common "world language"?

Whether you speak English, French, Portuguese, or Hebrew, would you like to speak one common world language with your fellow human beings?

2. jacklhasa profile image61
    jacklhasaposted 8 years ago

I think a 'common' language, world-wide, would be beneficial in so many ways.  Bringing together cultures that would otherwise have no way to truly interact.  Communication would reach a great level, which would improve understanding and acceptance of other cultures. 

Some would argue that this would rob people of their natural heritage and culture.  I think it would be important to stress the teaching and use of the natural language, so as to avoid this pitfall.  Preserving the cultures of the world is very important, and with the right kind of precautions. 

So, yes, I would promote a common language, as long as we could develop a system that would not damage the uniqueness of the individual cultures.

3. profile image0
    pburgerposted 7 years ago

I believe the major reason the last attempt at a universal language Esperanto failed to catch-on is that language is so intimately connected to our existence as humans. We cannot force a new language into existence because language does not stand as a separate object in the natural world.

And I think a common language will endanger the diversity in our thinking; that is why indigenous people fight so hard to keep their language from falling into the abyss of memory.

One universal language represents a form of cultural imperialism.

4. HannahLW profile image60
    HannahLWposted 7 years ago

Well, I think a good education all around would be ideal.
    However, while I agree with both the for and against arguments, I would have to say my opinion is right up the middle.
    I think that countries should learn at least one other language, teach it in schools, etc. Most schools do give students the option to study a second language. However, a lot of the time, these classes are just an extra credit time filler and students don't take them seriously.
    So while we may say there needs to be one dominant language, it will only work if people actually learn it.
    I'm of the opinion that there should be no world language, but I think the world should know more than one language.
    But, that's up to the individual.
    The problem when dealing with universial applications of hypothetical situations is they simply never work. The world is still a big place, and there is not a computer, person, or government big enough or fast enough or smart enough to enforce something like a world language.

5. Muneer A. Saleh profile image57
    Muneer A. Salehposted 7 years ago

It would make traveling easier. I think English only because in most nations English is the second language so it would be easier to establish English than any other as the dominate language.

Closed to reply