What are some common grammar/usage errors that drive you nuts every time you see

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (61 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 9 years ago

What are some common grammar/usage errors that drive you nuts every time you see them?

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 9 years ago

Nothing!  Most of the time I understand why they are made.  I can't do anything about them so I just keep reading.  Many times the info or message is a good one.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image72
      Twilight Lawnsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And the reason those people continue to make those errors is due to  people like you making statements like that.
      What is the point of there being rules and standards in a language if they are flouted or ignored?
      If the "info or message is a good one

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
      Dee aka Nonnaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I never make the statement to people who make the errors.....I was simple answering a question......does it bother me.....

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

Some misspellings and misuse drive me wild. Errors around these pairings for example : you're/your, there/their, write/right, loose/lose...and on and on. I also wince when I see apostrophes in the wrong place!

I completely agree. If someone makes errors on a "grand scale" I stop reading. If they can't string a few words together without punctuation & homophone errors, their content may also be as flawed. We should it out to them but does kindness forbi

4. pagesvoice profile image73
    pagesvoiceposted 9 years ago

I cringe when people use made up words. Irregardless is not a word and yet I hear it all the time. When people use I instead of me and me instead of I and the offenders are journalists. To, too, it's, its when used incorrectly are also a major turnoff for me.

A strong point with me. One of my favourite radio presenters, a man of virtually unflawed intelligence and vocabulary, constantly says "... according to him and I" and the like. It hurts the ear! Well, it hurts mine.

2. pagesvoice profile image73
      pagesvoiceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine as well.

3. gposchman profile image60
      gposchmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Irregardless is my pet peeve. When I write, I often make the basic mistakes, but in rewrite mode I catch most of them. I have a Doctor who is great at catching the rest, and the great thing is he enjoys it. He and my wife are my best editors.

5. Electro-Denizen profile image82
    Electro-Denizenposted 9 years ago

I waz listening to BBC Radio 4 the other day - this language and grammar expert waz sayin why he didn't have any issues with wrong grammar. He said didnt matter, language is always evolving, sometimes the meaning is much clearer without being strict with the rules.... Language adapts as we evolve its nobodies' faults...

Thats' wot I rekon too :-))

Have a great day

Brilliant answer. I love it when someone knows what he is talking about and does it so eloquently as you, Electro-Denizen.
      As an ex-school master, I am horrified to hear people subscribing to the "language evolving" idea.
      Rules is rules, Innit!

2. Electro-Denizen profile image82
      Electro-Denizenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The grammer poleese. Their always bangin on about they're big ideas an stuff... Like life hangs on an apostrophes...
      Seriously, we sound nothing like we did 600 years ago, that's exciting. Our written English has changed so much. To infinitely go...

3. Billie Kelpin profile image86
      Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Language does evolve-has always evolved. I've gotten over "graduate college" as opposed to "graduate FROM college". We can't be dinosaurs, and yet "Me and him went out" is beyond my ability to cope (and I mean YOU Andy Samberg and Jimmy Fallon)

6. Twilight Lawns profile image72
    Twilight Lawnsposted 9 years ago

Incorrectly used homophones are bad enough, but obviously this is only in written English. However, its first cousin, the incorrect use of similar sounding words, can provide a lot of fun when gained from listening to a latter-day Mrs Malaprop; especially when that person is of the pretentious and dogmatic "intellectual" type.
    My main dislike, and I am afraid I don't suffer fools gladly in this, is the incorrect use of the apostrophe.
    I have a friend who, regardless that he imagines that he is a poet, and that the English Language should be his tool of trade, has said on more than one occasion, that there is no difference between "its" and "it's". His punctuation leaves me frustrated and incensed, as my kind attempts at correcting his errors frequently fall on deaf ears.
    Grammatical errors also, make my blood boil.
    By chance, I have just written a hub concerning a series of letters which passed between his alter ego and a lady of superior educational standing.

1. gposchman profile image60
      gposchmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is a delightful article too. But if bad English and punctuation drive you crazy, read the article with a really good port, it goes down better that way.

2. Twilight Lawns profile image72

Ah!  I wish, but,  although I love Port and wines and Irish Whiskey and several liqueurs, I am a Muslim and have had to do without for the last fifteen years.
      Maybe that's why I have the time and concentration to pick at others' punctuation errors.

7. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

grammar mistakes will not drive me nuts but spellings and no punctuation marks do get me insane.

1. profile image0
      lambservantposted 9 years agoin reply to this

peach purple - uh huh. I have a friend who in email messages seems illiterate for this very reason. I know for a fact she is not. Sometimes It is hard to follow. Also, she is in such a hurry she leaves words out. Running sentences drive me nuts.

Or perhaps, like my friend, there are those who look as if they have gathered a handful of commas and thrown them, indiscriminately, at the passage they have written.

8. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

It's/its
    Who's/whose
    Seen/saw (as in, "I seen that yesterday")
    Lose/loose
    Apostrophes on plurals (like animal's when referring to more then one animal)

I also hate it when people say "irregardless" and "anyways" (I know "anyways" has become somewhat accepted now, but it still drives me crazy).

Ah!  This is what we call the Grocers' Apostrophe... or the Grocer's Apostrophe, when there is only one Grocer ruining the English language.

2. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ha! I just realized I used 'then' instead of 'than'. Well, that's ironic. wink

9. locaj profile image59
    locajposted 9 years ago

"Any numbers under two thousand should be written out." How I do I know this? And publisher sent my work back, stating that.

Capitalizing, "I," in a sentence.
    Using "and, but, like, just, anyways, alot,"
    Spelling, unless you live in that area of the world that uses the soft s, instead of z, "realize, realise."  Then use it. Otherwise do not bash someone who does, because they are from somewhere different.

There is a lot more. Much more. To many to put here.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In newspapers any number under 10 is spelled out.  But they deal with the issue of space.  Many things are different in proper English, as anyone who loves red, white and blue commas in simple series will tell you.

2. ZipperConstantine profile image79
      ZipperConstantineposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Policies and philosophies vary from medium to medium. The two most influential guidebooks for publishers, editors, and writers, the Associated Press Style-book and the Chicago Manual of Style, have different approaches. The first recommends spelling

10. profile image0
    lambservantposted 9 years ago

I think most of what everyone else has said. I think mispronouncing words or using a word that is not actually a word also. Sloppiness, you know? When I hear the word "expresso" rather than "espresso" I cringe. Repeating a word twice (which is easy to do, but good editing is the key) such as "...and and," "the the," and "are are." We all do it, but it's why editing well is so important.

Malapropisms drive me nuts, and yet, sometimes they can be downright hysterical.
    Malapropism: the use of an incorrect word in place of a word with a similar sound, resulting in a nonsensical, often humorous utterance.

A few examples would be: "Dad said it was just a pigment of my imagination." (Figment). " Here are some from Archie Bunker: "A woman doctor is only good for women's problems...like your groinocology." "I ain't a man of carnival instinctuals like you."

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I live in a historical California Gold Rush area. The nearby town has a western-themed coffee shop called Pony Expresso.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL--That's a bit different, Rochelle--technically incorrect, but a clever pun, nonetheless.  wink
      Here's to a "latte more" enjoyment of your local coffeehouse. wink

11. alancaster149 profile image76
    alancaster149posted 9 years ago

Much of the cr** is picked up from reading papers. Even the 'quality' press is prone to howlers, but the biggest bugbear isn't strictly erronious.
    Passive verbs are being used increasingly in the press and media.
    Compare that sentence with:
    There is increased use of passive verbs in the press and media.
    Notice the difference? This one isn't so bad as sentences go. Some sentences I've seen can be shortened - important when the column inches/centimetres are edited - by at least a third, and the time it takes to sort that out might be used to write another article. Readers pick up on this and perpetuate the downgrading of active verbs.

12. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

I don't think I really go crazy whenever I come across a typo, grammar or spelling mistake.  I do that too.  The only time that it might bother me is if a sentence is so bad that I do not understand what it is saying and usually I just stop reading.

13. Exotic_Kitten profile image40
    Exotic_Kittenposted 9 years ago

*Spelling errors
    *Grammatical Errors such as Not effectively using the A(n or s or other letter before another vowel)

14. profile image54
    Amanda Swadleyposted 9 years ago

When watching the news the captions are always wrong. Misspellings are one of my biggest pet peeves.  Followed by incorrect usage of punctuation.

15. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

The man who sat next to me on the bus was smoking.

NOT

The man that sat next to me on the bus was smoking.

People are who.  Things are that.

You hear this misuse by TV journalists all the time.  Drives me nucking futs!

1. locaj profile image59
      locajposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like that last sentence.

Watch out, Kathleen, the Hub Police will be after you, and I'm sorry, but I won't be able to utter a word in your defence... I'll be too busy laughing at  your deliberate Spoonerism.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

locaj and Twilight Lawns:  I can tell I've found my people!

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Hahahaha!!  Love Spoonerisms.  I had an aunt who used to say, in the interests of propriety, that someone had gotten something all "Bass Ackwards."

16. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

Actually, don't get me started!  I have a number of such pet peeves.

My current one, however, is people who cannot get it through their heads that an apostrophe is NOT used to create a plural!

It's "Eggs, $1.20 a dozen,"

NOT

"Egg's $1.20 a dozen." 

Grrr...I turn the air blue when I read this error!

Hello, DzyMsLizzy.
      It's like a blast from the past... Missed you!

17. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 9 years ago

I agree with the examples here and will add "real-a-tor" instead of "realtor" and  the phrase "I could care less" when it should be "I couldn't care less."  I cringe when I hear them!

18. profile image0
    Pennyforyourthotsposted 9 years ago

My biggest pet peeve is when they use more and -er (more clearer). I also cringe when I see of instead of have.

19. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 9 years ago

When I read a book or an ebook, it's usually typos, some punctuation errors and misspelled words. Editors should catch those things. A few is okay, but if it's an average amount to a lot, it shouldn't been printed until it's been polished and smoothed out.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

E-books are BAD for this problem!  I've even had whole pages, or a series of pages missing!

20. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 9 years ago

Unequivocally, the drive-me-nuts mistakes I come across are the ones I make.  That I know better is no excuse.  That I proofed (tried to, anyway) doesn't count.  That the language I heard as a child still rumbles around the recesses of my mind is not a reason to be careless.  No other solecism compares to finding these errors in my own writing.  As it is sometimes worded in the south, when I find 'em, I fix 'em.  smile

1. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
      Dee aka Nonnaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I find this such a good answer.  I, too, heard those things not just in my head but when I am around people who speak differently.  There are so many dialects and just family and regional differences.  The errors happen but we keep trying.

So, so true. i am the worst proofreader ever. I know that we "read" what we had meant o write, but that is no excuse. If I've looked through the Comments at the bottom of my Hubs, I frequently have found glaring typos and errors.
      Aaaaghhh!

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I actually do proofreading for others.  So yes, to find mistakes that slipped past in your own work is terribly humiliating!

21. krillco profile image86
    krillcoposted 9 years ago

to too two...they're their...your you're...bring brought...see  seen saw....'cousint'...oh, so many more

1. DawnMSamora profile image68
      DawnMSamoraposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes krillco,
      I was also thinking "to" and "too". I get texts that are misspelled with these words and it drives me crazy! How about when someone misuses "are" and "our"? How can that happen? Writing is our passion. That is why errors bother us so mu

22. Jon.mann profile image60
    Jon.mannposted 9 years ago

1. A common error in writing it's for its, or vice-versa. The first is a contraction, meaning "it is." The second is a possessive. i.e. "It's a wise cat that scratches its own fleas."

2. If one employs a colloquialism or slang, simply employ it; don't draw attention to it by enclosing it in quotation marks.

23. profile image55
    Manjari Vadrevuposted 9 years ago

Most probably, people get confused in the basic foundation stone of English grammar i.e, tenses. The appropriate use of since and for in the situations, punctuation marks especially apostrophe are violated. The domination of the social networking sites these days are changing the spellings of the words replacing them with shortcuts. Its not the mistakes that drive us to nuts, but the sheer negligence in the attitude of people towards the language that drives us crazy.

24. chefmancave profile image75
    chefmancaveposted 9 years ago

The mistake which drives me crazy is "from" and "form" especially in shorter forms of communication like text messages or emails. I always have to read the sentence twice. But as I used to say to my favorite English teacher..."My ma ain't got no yeller taters".

25. profile image56
    AshimaTanposted 9 years ago

Didn't "had" my lunch today...
    Did you "sat" next to him?
    Didn't I "mentioned" about that fellow?

I get embarrassed correcting people about that.. but they will never improve...That is the epitome of madness for me...

26. profile image0
    MrDanielAbramposted 9 years ago

The correct use of your, you're is one common grammar usage error that irks me.

27. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 9 years ago

I signed up for one of the freelance content mills. I was not accepted. They had a test and one of the sentences had the phrase "rather uniquely."

I may misplace my commas, and I hate to see a semi-colon in the middle of a sentence, but I know that unique is unique--not almost unique or nearly unique or most unique and certainly not rather unique.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77

Damned straight.  Nothing can be very historic either or the first annual.  The man on the street may say these things, but if you are flippin going to write like a professional writer - know your craft.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had a hub edited by a HubPages editor, and though the did make some good improvements, she also used the phrase "a bunch of".
      Not only is this something I would never write-- she used it twice in one paragraph.  I subsequently rewrote that part.

3. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Reading  the comments, there is one point I want to make about misspelling and the wrong usage. I am speech impaired. Spelling was a hard subject and still cause problems. Some cases it is just an error. In other cases there is a cause for the error.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image68
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Larry, I also have something wrong in my brain too and what I hate is those who think everyone should be as "perfect" as them. I wrote a hub about my ministroke and what it caused.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

"Rather uniquely?!"  That's on a par with saying "sort of pregnant."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)