jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is more important instinct or effort?

1. Mentalist acer profile image61
    Mentalist acerposted 8 years ago

What is more important instinct or effort?

2. profile image0
    loriamooreposted 8 years ago

Effort.

Instinct is a natural skill or trait that is not award-worthy because it's just something you were born with.

Effort, on the other hand, is noteable because it's something anyone can put forth, whether specially skilled at something or not.

3. Dzierba profile image72
    Dzierbaposted 8 years ago

Effort. Effort can overcome instinct, sort of like the nature nurture debate.

4. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I'd say, "natural ability".  If someone has it he doesn't have to put in nearly as much effort to accomplish something; and if he decides to put in some extra effort he's likely to REALLY accomplish his aims or create/produce something that is excellent.  While sometimes a person with natural ability can achieve excellence without much effort at all, sometimes it takes plenty of effort, as well as natural ability.  Still, the person with natural ability who is willing to put any effort he needs to has a head start.

People like to believe that effort is the more important thing; but without natural ability (at least that's related to any specific goal), it can take a whole lot more effort to achieve what one wants to achieve; and sometimes lack of natural ability can be such an issue the person can have particular difficulty achieving real excellence.  I'm not saying the person without ability can't work very hard and achieve excellent, but it's far more challenging.

If you achieve something without having to struggle to do it - I see that as being fortunate; and I don't think natural ability should ever be under-valued.  There's a reason we often hear, "S/he's a natural."  (When it comes down to it, even if a person doesn't want to accomplish a particular thing, it's always just handier to have natural ability that, often, comes in handy in areas not related to a particular task.

5. EFPotter profile image60
    EFPotterposted 8 years ago

Effort is a really important thing, especially if you lack natural ability. But sometimes, it does just take natural ability.

Example: AP Exams. Some of my friends took the Advanced Placement US History class and then the test. A few of my other friends, and myself, challenged it while taking the normal US History class. I didn't study a lick, while some of the others studied their butts off all year in the class and for a couple months prior to the test. I out-scored them all. I don't mean to sound boastful, but sometimes effort can't stack up to natural ability.

Effort on its own is commendable, but trying hard and failing still isn't as admirable as not trying and still succeeding, in my opinion.

6. Mentalist acer profile image61
    Mentalist acerposted 8 years ago

Instinct ussually comes with effort.

working