jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Karin said eleven more than my number is the same as 18 more than twice my numbe

1. profile image46
    mbarbosa3posted 8 years ago

Karin said eleven more than my number is the same as 18 more than twice my number what is karins...

number

2. RachelLynn profile image57
    RachelLynnposted 8 years ago

The problem sets up this way from the story problem you have set up for us.

x + 11 = 18 + 2x

Combining like terms leaves us with:

-7 = x

Karin's number is negative 7 (-7).

I hope this helps.

3. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Your problem statement is ambiguous.  There is no way of determining Karin's number.  If Karin is looking for YOUR number, then RachelLynn has it right.

4. traderx profile image62
    traderxposted 8 years ago

That is an easy one. 

First, you have to find the median temperature for Gnome, Alaska on the date of December 11, 1967.  Write this down it will be important later.

Next, you need to find the hypotenuse of the Great Pyramid of Giza, then find the square root of that to the nearest 8 digits.

Next, you will need a copy of the Wall Street Journal from ... you guessed it,  Dec 11, but 20 years later, 1987.

Take the median temperature, (absolute value) and then square that.  Go to that page of the Wall Street Journal and go down that many lines in the page.  Get the first number that is shown on that line.

This is Karin's number no doubt.  If you do not believe that, then look at the number from the pyramid on the same page.  Count back that many characters from the bottom of the page.  Again ... Karins number.  Miracles are everywhere you look

If you need any more miracles like this, I am always around.

5. t.elia profile image74
    t.eliaposted 7 years ago

Let Karin's number = X according to the question!

Therefore;

X + 11 = 2X + 18 (now gather like terms)

11 - 18  = 2X - X (remember-change side- change sign)

-7      =   X

Karin's number is  - 7

working