jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does My Personal Carbon Footprint Really Matter?

1. Zizish profile image51
    Zizishposted 7 years ago

Does My Personal Carbon Footprint Really Matter?

If I choose to drive less, take reusable cloth bags to the grocery store, recycle as much as I can, and buy less disposable crap - does my own personal contribution really make a difference? Aren't we just kidding ourselves?

2. frequentflyer profile image54
    frequentflyerposted 7 years ago

In a way, ones own carbon footprint does not matter. Though what if 100, 500, 1,000. 1,000,000 people think like that, then it does matter. That is why the action of one person can lead to many others following by your example.

3. Vegas411 profile image58
    Vegas411posted 7 years ago

While I believe the whole global warming thing is a bunch of crap I do still believe it is important to reduce pollution, waste and stop killing off so many species. Small efforts by each of us add up into big reductions in pollution and waste.

My vehicle gets over 100 MPG! Think how much less pollution we would have if everyone was like me.

4. acewebdesign profile image60
    acewebdesignposted 7 years ago

I think its kind of like a viral thing. When people see you are making an effort, it encourages them to do the same. If people look at the situation and say "why bother" then others will also do the same.

Our recycling here in Adelaide is great these days, whereas years ago, you would only see one or two recycle bins out on each street, now every house has their recycle bins overflowing.

5. Bard of Ely profile image86
    Bard of Elyposted 7 years ago

I would answer that no, we are not "kidding ourselves" but are acting as responsible individuals in a planet we all share! There are spin-offs too because the more people do the things you have suggested then the more others are likely to do so as well - people follow the example of others.

Some things can even become trendy. If a trend is for something that benefits the world then this is a good thing!

If nobody does anything then the situation is sure to get worse!

working