jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What does the word "gesture" mean and how can we use it correctly in the form of

1. itech profile image78
    itechposted 7 years ago

What does the word "gesture" mean and how can we use it correctly in the form of sentences.

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

It means roughly "to move in a meaningful way" (I'm sure someone will pop in here with an actual dictionary definition) and can mean either a physical movement of the body or something that is shown through your actions, i.e. "He gestured to me to be quiet." as opposed to "He donated his old toys as a gesture of kindness."

3. WriteAbout profile image60
    WriteAboutposted 7 years ago

a gesture refers mostly to a hand gesture or sometimes a gesture of kindness.

The crossing guard gestured that it was ok to cross the street by giving us a wave.

or

She was given a bouquet of flowers as a gesture of thanks from the group for doing such hard work.

1. Sara-Youssef profile image54
      Sara-Youssefposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I liked the 2nd sentence.

4. sofs profile image82
    sofsposted 7 years ago

It means a sign or signal or motion or even gesticulation the act of making gestures. A kind gesture. ( an act or sign of kindness)
    He often gestures with his hands. as in making meaningful movements of hand  along with speech

5. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I'm sure that if you look up the word, you will then know how to use it correctly.

6. puebloman profile image59
    pueblomanposted 7 years ago

Mick has it more or less right. Use a dictionary and stop f+++++g around on hubpages

7. Mrs. J. B. profile image61
    Mrs. J. B.posted 7 years ago

The word gesture means in the form of a noun: The motion of hands or body to help express a feeling or thought.

The word gesture means in the form of a verb: express thru movement.

Used in a sentence:
    Sydney made a gesture with her hands to a dress she wanted to purchase.

working