jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should you tutor your child after school if they arent getting challenged at sch

1. hotnewmama profile image57
    hotnewmamaposted 7 years ago

Should you tutor your child after school if they arent getting challenged at school? (1st grade)

Our child has tested into 3-5th grade but is in 1st grade. Because he is not able to pay attention in class, he cannot be moved into different grades for different subjects because he will interrupt them. I have been working after school with him on harder subjects so he is challenged and learning, but feel guilty that he is having to learn even longer.

2. angela_michelle profile image98
    angela_michelleposted 7 years ago

Have you considered homeschooling him. There are homeschooling classes that he can take, so if you still want him to have the socialization, you can do that. My daughter is in the same boat as your son, and I do just what you are doing with your son. People often ask me if I want to homeschool her, but I don't for personal reasons.

3. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 7 years ago

You could do that as long as your child is happy. I would maybe be a little worried about giving a kid too much school work and not enough of other interests. Why not combine both - do some schooling but also look around with your child for an interesting but challenging hobby that will stimulate them?

4. Ken Barton profile image59
    Ken Bartonposted 7 years ago

Working with your son at home is a good, you could expand his horizons into other avenues by helping him develop a hobby he may have an interest in like Astronomy.  You could get him his own telescope, introduce him to others in that field, help him join an astronomical organization.  If he likes animals you help get him involved with 4-H.  There's more to learning than just the Academics taught in school and you can help him with that.  With your help he can reach for the stars!  I wish you and your family everything best.

5. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Education doesn't start and stop at the school gate.  The worse thing any parent can do is leave education solely to teachers.  Parents should encourage writing, and maths, and reading, play games with their children that include these activities, and engage in activities that involve these disciplines in a more formal way, say, cooking for weighing and reading recipes, and writing them down.

6. ThunderKeys profile image64
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

You could bring his academic skill level 2 or 3 grades levels above his chronological age with 1 hour of "precision teaching" a day over a 8-10 month period. You can also cut home school time down to half or one third to high school diploma. Check out my hub.